RCIA - Should I be nervous

Hi everyone,

The 17th is drawing nearer and although I am really looking forward to joining the Catholic church, I need to know what to expect with the RCIA, anyone got advice?

It’s a spiritual journey and each of us has a different faith walk. How you react to the process is going to depend on your specific circumstances and questions. What you feel might be completely different than what someone else feels. Questions you have aren’t going to be questions for other people.

You go through so many emotions during RCIA and that’s the whole point, to question/examine the faith and decide whether becoming Catholic is right for you.

Just accept the process for what it is. Hope that helps.

If the RCIA program you are entering is a sound orthodox one, you should expect to learn a lot about The Catholic faith. Do not be afraid to ask questions! :slight_smile: Almost guarantee that someone else has the same question and is afraid to ask or they will have the same question at some point.

I can share that my experience in RCIA was one of the greatest experiences of my life. As Kal2012 mentioned, you will go through many emotions during the course/ program while learning about the faith and yourself. For me I went from being apprehensive entering it with no idea what to expect to praying the Rosary daily and going to daily Mass within a couple of months! I recognize that may not be how the average person’s journey takes place in RCIA, but it is how it was for me. The beauty of it is that you don’t necessarily have to become Catholic through the process, but if that’s where you’re journey takes you then that’s wonderful. I thank God for RCIA and am so thankful for my Catholic faith. Because of it I have a close relationship with Christ and Our Blessed Mother!

I will pray for you and all those who are entering RCIA and discerning for themselves where they need to be. I pray the Holy Spirit would guide you!

God Bless! :signofcross:

Although as someone who was already baptized and didn’t technically have to go through RCIA, I wouldn’t trade it for anything. Not only did I learn a lot, but I got to know the other participants and they are now very precious to me. While Deacon G, the coordinator of RCIA, is not the most dynamic speaker, he is very kind and knowledgeable and I enjoyed every class. My beloved husband will be starting RCIA in a couple of weeks and I will be his sponsor, so I’ll be attending the classes again.

I say all of that to say this–go into RCIA rejoicing that you are on the journey HOME. Enjoy the time and all your classmates. May God richly bless you and all others who are walking with you toward the Easter Vigil on April 19, 2014.

It good.that you are taking the first steps to becoming Catholic. I myself was in RCIA and was baptised on March of this year. It was and exciting journey. You will learn a lot about the Catholic faith. My advice is to be fully participating in the classes and to ask questions if you have doubts. The most exciting part is when you get the Sacraments of Baptisim, Confirmation, and First Communion in the Easter Vigil. Hope all goes well, and if you have any questions, don’t hesitate to ask.

Enjoy the adventure!! And don’t keep it a secret with your family and friends (as I did until I proved to myself 200% that the Catholic Church was really Jesus’ one true church, etc)…that’s my only regret cuz had I told friends and family they would have probably tried to stop me and in the process I could have perhaps brought more of them WITH ME into the Catholic Church back then when I was still. Protestant. Just a thought. But “do whatever He tells you”. And do not be afraid of the truth! It is beautiful! And liberating! And for me, RCIA is what began this wonderful adventure 15 years ago that helped to fuse my head with my heart (ie, faith and reason and not just blind faith alone etc).

WELCOME HOME!!! And may every time you receive our amazing Lord Jesus in the Eucharist be as awesome as your first holy communion!!

Also, know that you are making your guardian angel and your patron saints, St. Stan and St. Ray, extremely happy…like jumping up and down dancing happy!

God bless you!!!
John

It’s normal to be nervous, but it’s a good experience. At least my RCIA experience was. It’s so good to be Catholic.

Don’t be nervous.

If you don’t want to share too much about yourself and about your spiritual journey, then don’t. If you want to share, do it. People are different and some will be outgoing and talk and ask questions. Others will not. Your backgrounds will be different and there might be people more knowledgeable about the Catholic faith then you, or less than you.

There is nothing to worry about.

I will pray for you.

=StranraerHibby;11185927]Hi everyone,

The 17th is drawing nearer and although I am really looking forward to joining the Catholic church, I need to know what to expect with the RCIA, anyone got advice?

Absoutrely NO NEED to be nervous [the leaders will do it for you:)]

I taught RCIA for 3 years.

Know that there can be big differences in the programs structure, content and the manner in which the classes are presented.

It depends on the Local Bishop and Pastor and who actually teaches the class. BUT there in nothing to be concerned about.

Typically the promgram has two halfs:

The first half introduces and explains who and what we are and believe. There is MUCH wrong information about this and it’s all gently presented with usually alot of Q & A.

Once one has sufficient information and has determined that they DO desire to become catholic; the faith is explained in a bit more detail.

There is nothing scarry or to be worried about:thumbsup:

Listen, ask questions and PRAY MUCH!:smiley:

God Bless you,
patrick [PJM]

I start my RCIA classes next week, and am so very excited, but also nervous! I have a 12 year old daughter and finally got the courage to ask my Mum if she and my Dad would look after her whilst I am at classes. Well, you could have knocked my Mum over with a feather. I tried to reassure her that I am not making my daughter Catholic (we are both baptized Church of England) as that is her decision to make, if she ever wants to. I also said that I will not ‘force feed’ my beliefs etc on them as I feel faith and religion is a private thing. I don’t think she is happy at all about it but I’ve been wanting to do this for a number of years. Hopefully, they will ‘come round’ and respect my decision, but I’m not holding my breath!

God Bless!

Heidi
:gopray:

=heidi_bradshaw;11209971]I start my RCIA classes next week, and am so very excited, but also nervous! I have a 12 year old daughter and finally got the courage to ask my Mum if she and my Dad would look after her whilst I am at classes. Well, you could have knocked my Mum over with a feather. I tried to reassure her that I am not making my daughter Catholic (we are both baptized Church of England) as that is her decision to make, if she ever wants to. I also said that I will not ‘force feed’ my beliefs etc on them as I feel faith and religion is a private thing. I don’t think she is happy at all about it but I’ve been wanting to do this for a number of years. Hopefully, they will ‘come round’ and respect my decision, but I’m not holding my breath!

God Bless!

Heidi
:gopray:

Hedie, dear freind, WELCOME!

Because God is One

God’s true Faith can and is and MUST also be just One:)

And God has always had just ONE chosen people
OT =he jewish nation
NT His Catholic Church [the one He founded, guides and protects]

Get your bible out and look up in this sequence [please]:slight_smile:

Mt. 10:1-8
Mt. 15:15-19
John 17:14-20
John 20:19-23
Mark16:14-15
Mt. 28: 16-20

And TAKE CAFEFUL note of the FACT that in each case it is Jesus speakingdirecly, and exclusively to; commanding and protecting JUST the Apostles and through them today’s Catholic Church.

Salvation; yours’ your daughters and everyone eles’s MUST therefore flow through the Catholic Church. AND Because ONLY the CC and [some Orthodox churches] have the Seven sacraments Validly and Licity; they alone are the source of God’s needed grace for ones salvation:thumbsup:

God Bless you!
patrick PJM}

Heidi, I would suggest speaking to your priest about your daughter. If you believe that the Catholic Church holds the fullness of Truth, you should share this with your daughter. You are her parent and as such have the responsibility of teaching her the faith and that you need to help her form her conscious. I would not be so apologetic around your parents. Be a witness to what you believe to be the Truth.

Just my thoughts! RCIA is a wonderful thing that the Church has for bringing new members into the Church…you may even want your daughter to attend with you so that she can learn.

:slight_smile:

WELCOME HOME !

May GOD bless you immensely,
I can tell you from a leaders point of view that what you put into classes will help you get the most out of them. The Catholic Church, the BODY of Christ welcome you with great joy.
Remember that NO QUESTION is too dumb or unimportant!:slight_smile:

Enjoy!!!

:hug1:

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.