Rcia sponsor for adult child

Hello. I am a practicing catholic mother. My daughter is 19 and in RCIA, I am her sponsor. I have other children that have made their confirmation and I know that parents are not allowed to sponsor a minor child, but have heard nothing about not being the sponsor for an adult child. If you know of where I can find the information it would really help me.
Thank you.

Canon law does not permit a parent to be a sponsor.

Can. 874 §1. To be permitted to take on the function of sponsor a person must:

1/ be designated by the one to be baptized, by the parents or the person who takes their place, or in their absence by the pastor or minister and have the aptitude and intention of fulfilling this function;

2/ have completed the sixteenth year of age, unless the diocesan bishop has established another age, or the pastor or minister has granted an exception for a just cause;

3/ be a Catholic who has been confirmed and has already received the most holy sacrament of the Eucharist and who leads a life of faith in keeping with the function to be taken on;

4/ not be bound by any canonical penalty legitimately imposed or declared;

5/ not be the father or mother of the one to be baptized.

If you would like to be involved in the RCIA process as a way of supporting your daughter, perhaps you could offer to be the sponsor for someone else in the process.

They want to make sure that the person in RCIA isn’t being pressured to convert. People who are too close might have an interest in making sure they become Catholic, when RCIA is supposed to be a period of discernment.

It should also be noted that the sponsor who accompanies someone through RCIA is not necessarily the person who will be the godparent if the person is being baptized.

No you cannot be your child’s sponsor for either baptism or confirmation. I am not sure why the RCIA director would not inform you of this. You are certainly welcome to attend classes and support her through the process, but she will have to have another person be her sponsor.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.