RCIA started want some adivce

Hello, I am 20 years old and a sophomore in college. I am currently a protestant but have been drifting from my church in recent years and am looking towards Catholicism. My girlfriend is Catholic but she has never pressured me to go or convert this is solely on my own and through my own study.

I attended for the first time on Tuesday and enjoyed it so far. If I become Catholic I would be the first on either side of my family plus I have not told them this yet but am planning to this weekend I am sure they won’t care.

I am curious if there is ever to young of an age to make such a decision and how do I know this is right? Just pray for me and my journey and any advice would be welcome. Thank you.

20 is plenty old enough. Everyone’s journey is a bit different. I personally could not ignore the Catholicism of the very early Christian Church…nor could I ignore the sacraments as taught in scripture. The thing that motivates you may be something else entirely.

That’s asking what is a good age to start following Christ? I would say the second you ask that question you answer it as well :wink: God Bless you and good luck on your journey. I just came into the faith last year and haven’t looked back since. There is always something new to learn and experience. It’s the best decision I’ve made in my entire life. Welcome home!

I’m a 23 year old male and could have written the post myself. I was in the EXACT position you are, with the exception that I started RCIA when I was 22. You are making a great decision at a great time in your life. Have no fear…Jesus is here! (literally…in the Eucharist)

Welcome home! I too am a protestant convert. I came into the church in 2007, but began my journey years before while studying Catholicism to try to convert my then girlfriend(now my wife). My only advice is to attend Mass regularly while going through RCIA. As my understanding of Catholic doctrine advanced I found myself longing to receive Jesus in the eucharist, which helped pull me through those times when the formation process seemed to drag on. God bless and I will be praying for you.

I don’t believe you can be too young to decide to want to be Catholic. :slight_smile:

I was the first in my family (in over 100 years actually!) to become Catholic. No one else (at this time) even has the desire to become Catholic, so I’m kind of like the odd man out but it still feels great.

Congratulations on making the choice to attend RCIA! I hope this faith journey is an awesome one for you! :smiley:

Wen God speaks to you, you listen, no matter when it is. God bless your journey.

Only the Holy Spirit can guide you and tell you if it is right or not. Listen to the inner voice within you, pray constantly, I will also pray for you, and listen to your heart.

Also read as much as you can abiut the Catholic faith. You will learn more about Jesus then you ever knew possible.

God Bless on your Journey.

I agree

also read the Doctors/Saints of the Church, Mystical/Spiritual I would without doubt read St Teresa of Avila, John of the Cross and Catherine of Siena. All easy reads which leave a profound aura of God.

Lex orandi, lex credendi “the law of prayer is the law of belief”

Easy reads! Make sure you explain that. Teresa of Avila and friends are not a beach-reads. Their writing is compelling for someone who is an excellent reader and who wants to read very philosophical church-related materials. Not everyone fits that description. You don’t have to be up to “Dark Night of the Soul” in order to be a good Catholic! Also, those books were written by and for consecrated religious, and don’t always translate appropriately into ordinary secular life.

To the OP, since you are in college, that kind of reading may be just what you are used to. If you’d prefer something a bit more straightforward to start with, try St Francis deSales “Introduction to a Devout Life”. The first half is like a self-conducted retreat, the second half is very practical advice for an ordinary lay Catholic.

I just wanted to say congratulations! You are definitely in my prayers.

20 years old is just about perfect! I didn’t go through my conversion experience and RCIA until I was in my 30s, however, in looking back its clear the Holy Spirit came a’calling for me in my college days. Why else would a non-practicing Jewish agnostic suddenly discover an overpowering attraction to Catholic Art in her Art History classes? The fascination (some might say obsession) just kept growing. By the time I was in my 30s, I had made several trips to Mexico where the high points were routine visits to church after church, bringing back pictures and statues of saints. My apartment looked like a shrine - stuffed with religious art. But I was… a Jewish agnostic. Leaning towards atheism. So why this sudden and compelling pull?

Never underestimate the power of the Holy Spirit. If he has you by the collar, he won’t let go. Best to just dive into the experience is what I advise. It isn’t necessarily fun, but its oh so worth it on the other side.

Will be praying for you!

Welcome and may the Hoply Spirit continue to guide you.:thumbsup:

God bless

jesus g

God Bless and welcome home.

John 3:16

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.