RCIA starting soon

RCIA will be starting soon at our parish, first meeting next week. Mixed concerns right now, not sure about going or... am i just full of excuses...dont know what to do.

I have been going to this parish for almost a year now, have had instructions from the last priest who is now retired. I have read many books that i picked out and my priest gave me to read, he had said he felt comfortable confirming me without going through the official RCIA classes based on where i already was spiritually, but annulments couldnt be started before his retirement. New priest wants me to go through the RCIA classes (annulments still not even started). I really dont expect to be able to be confirmed with this years class (annulments, still). I wouldnt have a problem if i were only a few minutes from the parish or if the RCIA classes were after Sunday Mass, but i live an hour from the parish and they usually have the classes in the evening during the week.

Dont know what to do. I am afraid the priest and deacon will get the wrong message if i say something to them. What should i do???

Becoming a Catholic is a big step. However, after a certain point, you just have to take the leap and go for it. There are always excuses why you can't do RCIA. Nobody's going to judge you for not going this year, if you don't think it's the right time. However, only you can make that judgment.

Last year, our RCIA director changed the day we met for class because someone said that they absolutely couldn't make it on a Wednesday night. This was a big inconvenience for everyone in the class - including the director - because she taught another catechism class on Tuesdays before RCIA. After it was clear that the person who requested the change was NEVER going to show up, she asked if we wanted to change it back to Wednesdays. We all agreed to keep coming on Tuesdays because we had our sitters arranged and schedules cleared and didn't want to remake arrangements. We just accepted the situation for what it was and moved forward.

if another parish had RCIA after Mass, would it be acceptable to use that parish for Mass and RCIA but still be a member of my current parish?
if i go through RCIA this year and the annulment situation is still up in the air, do i have to go through RCIA again?

[quote="dee_burk, post:3, topic:335959"]
if another parish had RCIA after Mass, would it be acceptable to use that parish for Mass and RCIA but still be a member of my current parish?
if i go through RCIA this year and the annulment situation is still up in the air, do i have to go through RCIA again?

[/quote]

While reading your first post I was wondering why you've chosen a parish so far from your home.

I would suggest that you phone parishes closer to your home to ask which days of the week their RCIA groups meet.

If you have already submitted your paperwork for your petition of nullity through your current parish, and/or if you have a particular fondness for the parish, you can ask the pastor if you can participate in RCIA in another parish, but eventually receive the sacraments in your current parish, if that's where you intend to remain a parishioner.

Are you already baptized? If so, you only mentioned Confirmation. You would also be preparing for Reconciliation and First Eucharist.

[quote="quiet52, post:4, topic:335959"]
While reading your first post I was wondering why you've chosen a parish so far from your home.

I would suggest that you phone parishes closer to your home to ask which days of the week their RCIA groups meet.

I am in a rural area and uniquely positioned an hour drive from 3 parishes in three different directions, one of which is even in the next state over.

I am a candidate, well aware of reconciliation and Eucharist but without confirmation assurance (annulments cleared) there is no reconciliation or Eucharist.

[/quote]

I read all your posts in the thread. I don't know exactly what you should do but what I do know is that when I went through Rcia last year, I am 99.9% sure Our Deacon told someone who was divorced and re-married (both Marriages outside of the Church I think) That until the matter was resolved, she could not receive the sacraments, but when the matter was resolved, she would NOT have to go through Rcia a second time. That is a plus, but ask your priest or the person in charge of rcia anyway, since im sure you would rather hear that from them, as opposed to a stranger on the internet :)

Even if you cant receive all your needed sacraments yet, or cant even attend rcia, that is ok. I wanted to attend Rcia 2 years ago, but I use to work swing shift and I was too afraid to ask for my schedule to be changed so I could attend Rcia. So I prayed that maybe I would be moved to first shift so I could attend the next year. And that is what happened! Try the best you can (even if that is to wait) and have Faith and pray. But take the step of going through rcia as soon as you can, for sure.

Also, once person in my Rcia class was from another Parish but he wanted to go through rcia at our parish because of special circumstances. I wish you the best.

Welcome to the Catholic Church! :) I went through RCIA a couple of years ago.

God bless

The devil is feeding you the anxiety and excuses. He is the only one that does not want you to join the Church. Any and all effort you put forward will be rewarded.

Good luck and God bless!

[quote="dconklin, post:8, topic:335959"]
The devil is feeding you the anxiety and excuses. He is the only one that does not want you to join the Church. Any and all effort you put forward will be rewarded.

Good luck and God bless!

[/quote]

LOL. I know, you are so right. Thank you.;)

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.