RCIA Student in Mortal Sin, What can I do? (kind of personal. . .)

Everyone I truly desperately need your prayers and your guidance. I have recently become an RCIA Student, after being introduced to the Catholic Faith at my High school. Yet, however, I have been struggling with Mortal Sin. A certain sin, I've been struggling with for 6 years. . . Masturbation. I hate it, I despise it, yet every single time I fail, I fall into the temptation and I fail. I fail God. It hurts me deeply to know how many times I've failed Him. Ever since becoming a Catechumen, I've really been wanting to turn my life around, especially removing my life from that sin. Yet, I'm in need of your help and guidance. Since I am an RCIA Student, and not to receive my Baptism, Confirmation, or any such thing until Easter 2014, I am unsure of what to do. I can't go to confession to rid myself of this sin, what can I do? Can I possibly go to confession? I would hate to die before my Baptism and not be able to absolve from my state of mortal sin. Can I do anything to return in a 'State of Grace'? Please help. It's been hard to type this and confess this to you all, It deeply hurts me. . . to know that I'm hurting my Heavenly Father because of my own selfish desires. It hurts even more because now whenever I fail Him because of this mortal sin, I don't feel guilty afterwards, I honestly feel dead. . . :(

I'm also afraid that God doesn't love me anymore, that He won't listen to my prayers. It's gotten to the point where I don't pray much anymore, because I'm afraid that He won't care to listen. How could He ever want to listen to my prayers, my sorrowful thoughts, when there are many others doing much better than I am?

Please help. I'm in desperate need for guidance.

~ Mel

[quote="Melanae, post:1, topic:316137"]
Everyone I truly desperately need your prayers and your guidance. I have recently become an RCIA Student, after being introduced to the Catholic Faith at my High school. It hurts even more because now whenever I fail Him because of this mortal sin, I don't feel guilty afterwards, I honestly feel dead. . . :(

I'm also afraid that God doesn't love me anymore, that He won't listen to my prayers. It's gotten to the point where I don't pray much anymore, because I'm afraid that He won't care to listen. How could He ever want to listen to my prayers, my sorrowful thoughts, when there are many others doing much better than I am?

~ Mel

[/quote]

Mell,

The Catechism, that you should read and study tells you that God calls you....it also tells you that your response is on behalf of God, in other words He helps you....We all fail.

Read in the Catechism about virtue.....you know you can perform habits good and bad...it is just a matter of deciding which you want to perfect...

Take things a little at a time and use what God gave you...He gave you a mind to think, feel, imagine....and with those you can act....

Your day may include some or all of the following....Pray regularly...pray thankfully...now do some of this..

When you wake....imagine the next hour that will take place in your life...is because God gave you life and as you imagine...imagine that you are, not will, that you are being obedient to His will and you are arriving after that hour....having established an hour of habit of virtue...

Now do this progressively until you can imagine on awakening.....you are virtuous at noon....and when noon arrives be grateful and thankful and say a little prayer...then imagine that you are virtuous until evening, etc...until bedtime......

At bedtime, imagine all the wonder and glorious things that are done for you, your life, your family, your friends....and imagine that you are waking filled with the love of God and virtuous, since you are practicing vritue......imagine as you go to sleep that you will dream of virtue....

When you awake the next day, keep repeating, repeating...

If you fail...

Remmember when you first started roller skating....we all fell a little bit...just keep trying to practice good habits...to shed bad habits...Ok...

And then get hold of the Audio Catechism, USA for Adults and listen to it daily, until you have gone through it over a dozen times...that may help...

ARTICLE 7
THE VIRTUES

1803 "Whatever is true, whatever is honorable, whatever is just, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is gracious, if there is any excellence, if there is anything worthy of praise, think about these things."62

A virtue is an habitual and firm disposition to do the good. It allows the person not only to perform good acts, but to give the best of himself. The virtuous person tends toward the good with all his sensory and spiritual powers; he pursues the good and chooses it in concrete actions.

The goal of a virtuous life is to become like God.63
I. THE HUMAN VIRTUES

1804 Human virtues are firm attitudes, stable dispositions, habitual perfections of intellect and will that govern our actions, order our passions, and guide our conduct according to reason and faith. They make possible ease, self-mastery, and joy in leading a morally good life. The virtuous man is he who freely practices the good.

The moral virtues are acquired by human effort. They are the fruit and seed of morally good acts; they dispose all the powers of the human being for communion with divine love.

The cardinal virtues

1805 Four virtues play a pivotal role and accordingly are called "cardinal"; all the others are grouped around them. They are: prudence, justice, fortitude, and temperance. "If anyone loves righteousness, [Wisdom's] labors are virtues; for she teaches temperance and prudence, justice, and courage."64 These virtues are praised under other names in many passages of Scripture.

1806 Prudence is the virtue that disposes practical reason to discern our true good in every circumstance and to choose the right means of achieving it; "the prudent man looks where he is going."

1807 Justice is the moral virtue that consists in the constant and firm will to give their due to God and neighbor.

1808 Fortitude is the moral virtue that ensures firmness in difficulties and constancy in the pursuit of the good.

1809 Temperance is the moral virtue that moderates the attraction of pleasures and provides balance in the use of created goods.

To live well is nothing other than to love God with all one's heart, with all one's soul and with all one's efforts; from this it comes about that love is kept whole and uncorrupted (through temperance).

1810 Human virtues acquired by education, by deliberate acts and by a perseverance ever-renewed in repeated efforts are purified and elevated by divine grace. With God's help, they forge character and give facility in the practice of the good. The virtuous man is happy to practice them.

1811 It is not easy for man, wounded by sin, to maintain moral balance. Christ's gift of salvation offers us the grace necessary to persevere in the pursuit of the virtues. Everyone should always ask for this grace of light and strength, frequent the sacraments, cooperate with the Holy Spirit, and follow his calls to love what is good and shun evil.

If you are making any strides forward let me know and I will offer some more suggestions...Ok..:thumbsup:

Everyone I truly desperately need your prayers and your guidance. I have recently become an RCIA Student, after being introduced to the Catholic Faith at my High school. Yet, however, I have been struggling with Mortal Sin. A certain sin, I've been struggling with for 6 years. . . Masturbation. I hate it, I despise it, yet every single time I fail, I fall into the temptation and I fail. I fail God. It hurts me deeply to know how many times I've failed Him. Ever since becoming a Catechumen, I've really been wanting to turn my life around, especially removing my life from that sin. Yet, I'm in need of your help and guidance. Since I am an RCIA Student, and not to receive my Baptism, Confirmation, or any such thing until Easter 2014, I am unsure of what to do. I can't go to confession to rid myself of this sin, what can I do? Can I possibly go to confession? I would hate to die before my Baptism and not be able to absolve from my state of mortal sin.

[/quote]

A repentant inquirer/catechumen of the Church who weeps for their sins to God is in a far better state than many other people! Were you to die with the firm desire and resolution to be baptized, there is such a thing as a "baptism of desire."

From EWTN:
Baptism of desire is the implicit desire for
baptism of water by a person who makes an act of perfect love of God,
based on faith and with a sincere sorrow for one's sins. Such was the case
in the Acts of the Apostles, when Peter encountered pagans who, moved by
the grace of the Holy Spirit, proclaimed the greatness of God. "Peter
himself then said, 'Could anyone refuse the water of baptism to these
people, now they have received the Holy Spirit....?'" (Acts 10:46-47).

The most important thing is that you are repentant. You know it is sinful, and you weep to God, begging His forgiveness. Repentance and prayer is at the heart of Christian life. You have the repentance. But do not despair! Despair is itself sinful; by viewing yourself as irredeemable, you implicitly spurn God's ability to save you. I know this is not your intent, nor is it necessarily what you are doing, but I thought I'd let you know.

And just so you know, you are FAR from being the only Christian struggling with this sin. I myself also struggle mightily with it; sometimes I don't even try to resist the temptation. CAF does have a support group for this that you can feel free to join: The Impurity Addiction Support Group is the name, if memory serves. It's confidential, and everyone's along the same path to free themselves of this sin.

Can I do anything to return in a 'State of Grace'? Please help. It's been hard to type this and confess this to you all, It deeply hurts me. . . to know that I'm hurting my Heavenly Father because of my own selfish desires. It hurts even more because now whenever I fail Him because of this mortal sin, I don't feel guilty afterwards, I honestly feel dead. . . :(

Just wait until your confession and reception into the Church. You'll feel dead... To the sin. ;)

(Well, according to Paul, anyway. Between you and me, there are plenty of those in the Church who still struggle with this! :D )

Not so! Remember the Prodigal Son and the Lost Sheep. No matter how badly you betray God, if you turn back to Him, He will welcome you, hug you, kiss you, put a purple robe on you and slaughter the fattened calf for you. There is more joy in Heaven over one sinner who repents than there is for 99 righteous people who need no repentance. He leaves the 99 sheep who stay with the flock to go look for the one who has gone astray.

Don't ever be afraid to pray to Him. Unworthy as we all are of His love, He loves us all the same, despite whatever faults we have. Rather than not caring to listen to you, He is more than happy to talk to you in prayer; I daresay it grieves Him more when we don't come under the shelter of His wings and talk with Him about our troubles, asking for His help and guidance!

I'm also afraid that God doesn't love me anymore, that He won't listen to my prayers. It's gotten to the point where I don't pray much anymore, because I'm afraid that He won't care to listen.
~ Mel

[/quote]

God will always love you no matter what. Keep praying to him, he always listens, specially to a humble heart like yours because you recognize your sin. I recommend you to read psalm 51.

Pray the Rosary, it always helps me feel better. It also helps you to overcome sin. Any sin. You may need to be patient though. Click on the link below my signature.

Stay on RCIA, and eventually you will go to confession. God knows what you are going through, and he knows your heart is desperate for his forgiveness. He wont let you down.

Everyone I truly desperately need your prayers and your guidance. I have recently become an RCIA Student, after being introduced to the Catholic Faith at my High school. Yet, however, I have been struggling with Mortal Sin. A certain sin, I've been struggling with for 6 years. . . Masturbation. I hate it, I despise it, yet every single time I fail, I fall into the temptation and I fail. I fail God. It hurts me deeply to know how many times I've failed Him. Ever since becoming a Catechumen, I've really been wanting to turn my life around, especially removing my life from that sin. Yet, I'm in need of your help and guidance. Since I am an RCIA Student, and not to receive my Baptism, Confirmation, or any such thing until Easter 2014, I am unsure of what to do. I can't go to confession to rid myself of this sin, what can I do? Can I possibly go to confession? I would hate to die before my Baptism and not be able to absolve from my state of mortal sin. Can I do anything to return in a 'State of Grace'? Please help. It's been hard to type this and confess this to you all, It deeply hurts me. . . to know that I'm hurting my Heavenly Father because of my own selfish desires. It hurts even more because now whenever I fail Him because of this mortal sin, I don't feel guilty afterwards, I honestly feel dead. . . :(

~ Mel

[/quote]

God loves you , dont let that come across your mind, so much he sent is only son to die for you

also, learn the act of contrition and memorize it - its what you will be saying once you start going to confession anyway

bring back your prayer life!!!

~ Mel

[/quote]

Just say a sincere act of contrition when you fall.

Of course God loves you - His Son has already died for YOU!:thumbsup:

If the masturbation is habitual or an addiction then you may not have the moral culpability to be able to commit a mortal sin in this case, especially since you seem to be struggling to overcome it.

Talk to a priest at the parish - they won't be shocked.

Your baptism at the Easter Vigil will cleanse you of all your sins, and you will be washed whiter than snow.

But temptation will no doubt raise it's head again eventually: keep on keeping on. At that point stay close to Jesus and get to confession frequently

Hope this prayer helps Melanie
Prayer to prevent sin

We pray you Lord, by the merits of your Sacred Passion and death
To prevent even one mortal sin from being committed somewhere today
Give to one soul the light to see the enormity of its error, the terrible consequences of
sin,and the eternal loss it could mean without your grace. Give to that soul today the strength
to turn away from the temptations of the devil, and to walk with
renewed courage in the way of your love. Amen

God loves you

~ Mel

[/quote]

Melanae,

You have gotten great suggestions...have not heard from you...

Oh wow. . . Thank you, everyone so much. I am also sorry for not replying, I fell asleep. But Wow. . . This just means so much. I will definitely do everything that I can to avoid this temptation, and this sin.

@Coptic Christian: Thanks so much. I have both a “Youth Catechism” and a “Catechism”. I haven’t fully read through them or honestly looked much through them but I will most definitely study them. And last night I had a talk with God and truly told Him what I felt and was going through with hopes of Him hearing. I worry a lot that this problem may be hard to overcome but I will definitely start praying more and hoping for His mercy and grace to take hold of me. Any other suggestions would be wonderful. Prayers are greatly appreciated(: and again, thanks so much!

@Shiranui117: Wow, kind of creepy yet interesting because it felt true that I needed to hear this at the time. While I was reading your message I was crying to God asking Him to forgive me of this problem and your message really hit me. Thank you so much; your message gives me true hope that I am able to overcome this temptation/sin. And I know, I have a friend who also struggles with this sin too but we definitely help each other, and its always great to have someone to keep you accountable. Honestly, I’ve always loved the story of “The Prodigal Son” and “Lost Sheep”; I actually told my friend that story in helping him know that God still forgives him no matter what. Prayers would be greatly appreciated! Thank you so so much(:

@ChrisRedfield47: I will definitely read Psalm 51, and pray the Rosary. I’ve overcome one time this temptation with the help of Mary and the Rosary, so thank you(: Your words of hope really do lift up my spirit to keep preserving. Thank you so much(: Prayers would be greatly appreciated!

@mab23: I know, I sometimes truly do lose my Faith in that He still loves me especially after what I had done. I know that I will fail every now and then yet to know that He still forgives me and loves me, and will be here to help me resist and stray away from this temptation gives me great hope; thank you so much~

@triumphguy: I know the prayer of contrition; my RCIA teacher has given me a paper with all of the main prayers I should memorize/know. Sadly to admit, it used to be a very bad addiction yet I strayed away from it for about 3 months yet it came back once again. Almost every night I get the urge to fall into this sin and do what is wrong, and almost every time I fail. Yet now knowing what I can do to prevent failing or at least lessen my failures helps tremendously. Thank you so much and I am really looking forward to my Baptism.

@Louis75: Thank you so so much for the prayer! It will help a lot(:

Everyone; thank you so much for the guidance and the answers. I never knew this forum could be so strengthening and helpful in times of trouble and of need. Everyone I can’t say how much I greatly appreciate everything you’ve done(: All of your messages give me true hope that I can succeed. If you could; please pray for me to overcome this sin/temptation.

Thanks so much(:

~ Mel

[quote="Melanae, post:9, topic:316137"]
Oh wow. . . Thank you, everyone so much. I am also sorry for not replying, I fell asleep. But Wow. . . This just means so much. I will definitely do everything that I can to avoid this temptation, and this sin.

@Coptic Christian: Thanks so much. I have both a "Youth Catechism" and a "Catechism". I haven't fully read through them or honestly looked much through them but I will most definitely study them. And last night I had a talk with God and truly told Him what I felt and was going through with hopes of Him hearing. I worry a lot that this problem may be hard to overcome but I will definitely start praying more and hoping for His mercy and grace to take hold of me. Any other suggestions would be wonderful. Prayers are greatly appreciated(: and again, thanks so much!

@Shiranui117: Wow, kind of creepy yet interesting because it felt true that I needed to hear this at the time. While I was reading your message I was crying to God asking Him to forgive me of this problem and your message really hit me. Thank you so much; your message gives me true hope that I am able to overcome this temptation/sin. And I know, I have a friend who also struggles with this sin too but we definitely help each other, and its always great to have someone to keep you accountable. Honestly, I've always loved the story of "The Prodigal Son" and "Lost Sheep"; I actually told my friend that story in helping him know that God still forgives him no matter what. Prayers would be greatly appreciated! Thank you so so much(:

@ChrisRedfield47: I will definitely read Psalm 51, and pray the Rosary. I've overcome one time this temptation with the help of Mary and the Rosary, so thank you(: Your words of hope really do lift up my spirit to keep preserving. Thank you so much(: Prayers would be greatly appreciated!

@mab23: I know, I sometimes truly do lose my Faith in that He still loves me especially after what I had done. I know that I will fail every now and then yet to know that He still forgives me and loves me, and will be here to help me resist and stray away from this temptation gives me great hope; thank you so much~

@triumphguy: I know the prayer of contrition; my RCIA teacher has given me a paper with all of the main prayers I should memorize/know. Sadly to admit, it used to be a very bad addiction yet I strayed away from it for about 3 months yet it came back once again. Almost every night I get the urge to fall into this sin and do what is wrong, and almost every time I fail. Yet now knowing what I can do to prevent failing or at least lessen my failures helps tremendously. Thank you so much and I am really looking forward to my Baptism.

@Louis75: Thank you so so much for the prayer! It will help a lot(:

Everyone; thank you so much for the guidance and the answers. I never knew this forum could be so strengthening and helpful in times of trouble and of need. Everyone I can't say how much I greatly appreciate everything you've done(: All of your messages give me true hope that I can succeed. If you could; please pray for me to overcome this sin/temptation.

Thanks so much(:

~ Mel

[/quote]

Melanie,

Repent, repent, repent......just like me, and everyone else on this thread......

We are called to repent-=change our minds....I can't stand that mind of yesterday and I keep changing it....since we are supposed to....fill your mind with the teachings of the Catechism...until your mind changes and then keep changing it....

The wizard of Oz, recall the witch, water thrown on her and as she dissolved...she said...
"What a world, what a world, what a world"....Paul says..

Do not be conformed to this world but be transformed by the renewal of your mind.....

Keep renewing all you have posted here that you understand in your mind, each day, fresh...until it is on automatic....renew, renew, renew....

and then.....you will know peace when you find peace...it is out there....:)

and as you change and transform your mind the peace that is out there will be in there with you......:)

@CopticChristian: Thanks so much(: Since it is Lent, I was thinking of every day reading a part of the Catechism every day in hopes of learning more about my Faith and so on. I will make sure to repent constantly; and I can't wait until the day I find that peace. . I'm sure it will be wonderful and calming(: Thanks.

Pray and seek to follow Christ daily as a catechumen -- making acts of contrition (out of love especially), acts of faith, hope and love.

Continue to "repent" and "believe the Gospel" -- believe in Jesus Christ and that he is the Good Shepherd who loves you.

Catechism:

1259 For catechumens who die before their Baptism, their explicit desire to receive it, together with repentance for their sins, and charity, assures them the salvation that they were not able to receive through the sacrament.

scborromeo.org/ccc/p2s2c1a1.htm#VI

Pray perhaps often along theses lines:

Jesus Good Shepherd - I believe in you, I hope in you, I love you

@Bookcat: Thanks(: I’ve always wondered/worried about that topic but thanks so much for enlightening me as a Catechumen(: Thank you so much.

[quote="Melanae, post:11, topic:316137"]
@CopticChristian: Thanks so much(: Since it is Lent, I was thinking of every day reading a part of the Catechism every day in hopes of learning more about my Faith and so on. I will make sure to repent constantly; and I can't wait until the day I find that peace. . I'm sure it will be wonderful and calming(: Thanks.

[/quote]

Melanie,

As an aid understand that it is divided into 4 parts..

Profession of Faith
Sacramental Life
Life in Christ
Prayer......

You are learning the Faith...have yet to partake in the Sacramental life....however

You can spend time looking at

Life in Christ/Modeling Christ
Prayer...

Look at this and read it daily, ask yourself questions about this....sometimes there may be no answers....but this embodies all the beliefs that other beliefs flow from...

We believe (I believe ) in one God, the Father Almighty, maker of heaven and earth, and of all things visible and invisible. And in one Lord Jesus Christ, the only begottenSon of God, and born of the Father before all ages. (God of God ) light of light, true God of true God. Begotten not made, consubstantial to the Father, by whom all things were made. Who for usmen and for our salvation came down from heaven. And was incarnate of the Holy Ghost and of the Virgin Mary and was made man ; was crucified also for us underPontius Pilate, suffered and wasburied ; and the third day rose again according to the Scriptures. And ascended into heaven, sits at the right hand of the Father, and shall come again with glory to judge the living and the dead, of whose Kingdom there shall be no end. And (I believe ) in the Holy Ghost, the Lord and Giver of life, who proceeds from the Father (and the Son ), who together with the Father and the Son is to be adored and glorified, who spoke by theProphets. And one holy, catholic, and apostolic Church. We confess (I confess) one baptism for the remission of sins. And we look for (I look for) theresurrection of the dead and thelife of the world to come. Amen."

Life in Christ is the Commandments/Virtues....and the point is to become Holy as God is Holy....get a head start on your upcoming Baptism......your new life.....

Pray....don't worry about this...Paul says we don't know how to pray as we ought and with the help of the Holy Spirit, even our groans are turned into prayer....

So when you find yourself troubled, worried, struggling, whatever the circumstance.....this with the help of the Holy Spirit is prayer if you allow it....all you need do is consent...and recall that statement....

What would Jesus do....?....Good one...add to that

What would my Father ask of me?....another one....add to that

What would my brothers and sisters in Christ see in me?....and then

Just relax .....all will get better, and better.......as long as you know that God is helping you in all ways...even your coming to this forum...and for that I thank God for you....:)

[quote="Melanae, post:13, topic:316137"]
@Bookcat: Thanks(: I've always wondered/worried about that topic but thanks so much for enlightening me as a Catechumen(: Thank you so much.

[/quote]

Your very welcome. Anytime

vatican.va/archive/compendium_ccc/documents/archive_2005_compendium-ccc_en.html

Get a copy of it too :)

What kind of sick religion causes a person so much mental anguish over something as natural and healthy as masturbation? Esp. since Jesus never mentioned it?

What you're essentially saying is that there's an old man in the sky with a white beard looking down, seeing you masturbating, and making notes in some cosmic-sin ledger, which he'll whip out (pun intended) on Judgement Day, and then send you to the flaming pits of hell along with Hitler, Stalin, and 200 billion non-Catholics?

Creepy, vile, and evil.

I hope for your mental well-being you don't believe this. And if you do, stop. I promise you: it's not true.

Relax. Don't be so hard on yourself. There's more to life than living in fear, enslaved to some Catechism written by old women-hating men.

[quote="vince_caprizzi, post:17, topic:316137"]
What kind of sick religion .... ....enslaved to some Catechism written by old women-hating men

[/quote]

You will want to read the rules of the forum --this post is contrary to such.
I bid you though a good day.

What rule did I miss; am I not allowed to point out a Biblical error?

Kindly show me the part in the New Testament where Jesus talks about masturbation.

And yes, the poor poster was in mental anguish. I ask you to kindly engage me and try and refute, from a theological or emotional or ethical perspective, why it is a good thing to make a poor young person get all anxious over masturbating.

[quote="vince_caprizzi, post:19, topic:316137"]
What rule did I miss; am I not allowed to point out a Biblical error?

Kindly show me the part in the New Testament where Jesus talks about masturbation.

And yes, the poor poster was in mental anguish. I ask you to kindly engage me and try and refute, from a theological or emotional or ethical perspective, why it is a good thing to make a poor young person get all anxious over masturbating.

[/quote]

(ah.....he who looks at a women in order to lust has already committed adultery his heart.....would certainly cover such.....it is not just external sins with others)

I am not though going to further engage in a discussion with you --not with your attitude etc.

Again I bid you a good day.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.