RCIA

Hi there,
I am not sure this is the right place to post this question but here goes. I am 50 years old and a cradle Catholic. Over the last few years I have been takeing my Catholic religion more seriousley. I feel that there is much I need to review or possibly learn about my religion and how to live the life our Lord wants me to lead. I was a part of a small Church group that met once a week in the evenings but this is not what I was looking for. I was wondering if joining RCIA would be a way to start fresh and go over the basics of the Catholic religion. I was also considering asking our Priest about a Spiritual director. Your thoughts on this would be appriciated. :blessyou:

I think that is a wonderful move on your part. It certainly wouldn"t hurt:) God Bless

I think joining RCIA, perhaps as a sponsor for someone who may not have one, is an excellent way to grow in your faith, while helping someone toward theirs. You will be doubly blessed!.

Try reading “Catholism for Dummies” I forget who the authors are, it’s not sitting in front of me right now.

I too was a cradle Catholic until I left the church 25 years ago. I won’t get into the reasons here. My sister sympothizes with me and blames it on our Catholic education. She recommended this book to me. I am learning so many things that I shouls have learned as a child and more importantly why.

Yes, “Catholicism for Dummies” is an excellent book. It will refresh a lot of things that we all should know.

Here is the info of the book:
Catholicism for Dummies
Author: Rev. John Triglio Jr., Rev. Kenneth Brighenti
ISBN: 0-7645-5391-7

I would suggest also the following book, that would allow you to enjoy the Mass (this book helped me to love the Mass ;-):
The How-To Book of the Mass: Everything You Need to Know but No One Ever Taught You
Author: Michael Dubruiel
ISBN: 1931709327

Welcome back !

I recommend the audio or video catechism series by Fr. John Corapi, SOLT called the Teaching of Jesus Christ.

[quote=cleofet] I was wondering if joining RCIA would be a way to start fresh and go over the basics of the Catholic religion. I was also considering asking our Priest about a Spiritual director. Your thoughts on this would be appriciated. :blessyou:
[/quote]

Cleofet, I think sitting in on your parish RCIA program is a good idea. We have several who are doing so in our parish. It has been a positive experience for everyone involved in the program. I would also talk to your priest about a spirtual director… I was lucky enough to discover that the priest in my parish is more than willing to serve in this capacity! Good luck!

Please do consider joining your parish RCIA team. Sponsors are always needed, and it is necessary to have a strong faith and be a good mentor, not to know every thing “in the book”. You will be learning along with your candidate. The RCIA team ideally should include severa parishioners who are “along for the ride” and help in several capacities, but mainly adding to the discussion, witnessing from their own life and experience, and demonstrating the need to continue to grow and learn in the faith. Go for it.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.