RCIC help on choosing program.

I have been coordinater for Religious Education in the past, have not had to prepare children for Scaraments. Now I am preparing children for Scaraments, they are from grades 4 to 7,and who have no faith up bringing. My problem is I need to find a new Program that is basic for these children. For my own Children I use Faith and Life. In my opinion I feel that FL is for children who learn faith daily. This program would be too adavanced for them.
I have another program in mind, Our Catholic Faith… I have not used this program before. The program we do have is more than 20 yrs old and not updated like FL.
Any insite would be greatly appreciated

Laurie:thumbsup: :clapping:

I’m teaching RCIA for kids at my parish and I have 2-6th graders. We use Journey of Faith for both the children and teens.

I like it ok. It covers the basics fairly well, although I don’t really like the order and will do some fairly major rearranging next year if I teach again. Also, depending on how long the class is, you may need to add in some other activities. I like that since that makes it more personal to how I teach, but that will depend on the teacher.

Thank you Karen I will check it out…

There is no such thing as RCIC !!! There is RCIA for Childern.

Wow…

I don’t mean that to sound mean. Just that we really need to start using the correct terms and proper Catholic vocabulary. The peoper term for the initiation rite of children is correctly called The Rite of Infant Baptism.

THANK YOU. THANK YOU. This has always been a pet peeve of mine. Also calling RCIA a program.

Repeat after me: It’s not a ‘program’, it’s a ‘process’.:slight_smile:

I am teaching a lay formation course for the diocese on RCIA. I have a bell and whenever anyone says “program” I ring the bell. They get annoyed but after awhile we don’t hear the word anymore.

It is a Liturgical Rite or series of Liturgical Rites and does go through several distinct stages, so it is also a process.

If you are new to this, I recommend Journey of Faith from Liguori, which comes as sets of “handouts”, there is a teacher’s guide and it has the benefit of having an organized, ordered presentation of doctrine, plus “handouts” for the rites, what happens in Lent, getting ready for Easter, Mystagogy etc. Does your parish differentiate between children older than the normal age for 1st communion, but who have already been baptized and have had no previous Rel.Ed, --and true RCIA, that is, children who have never been baptized. That will also influence how you structure the process. The benefit of this program is that it helps you insure you “cover everything”.

The parents and sponsors should be attending the same type of prep your diocese requires for parents of infants presented for baptism, and older children presented for Confirmation and First Communion, plus a session on RCIA itself and what is involved.

get the ritual book and read carefully the section on Children’s Catechumenate (best term to use if we want to be precise). If you have a chance to attend a workshop from Association for Catechumenal Ministry, do so, it is the gold standard, but more widely available is a Beginnings workship from the N. American Forum. You need to know the structure of the periods and the rites which punctuate them, and how to guide the children during each stage.

after you have been around the block through a couple of liturgical cycles you can look into other resources. In my experience (9 years with children’s sacramental) at least here, the books I would like to use Faith and Life are too advanced for the reading level and for older children new to RE. A good “catch-up” for older baptized children coming for 1st Communion is Our Catholic Faith from Sadlier, which will require the catechist to have enough background to “fill in the blanks” as it is not real heavyweight, but we use it because it is easier to use for the majority of our kids. We have also used JOF for this group, especially for classes where different people are teaching different segments.

PM me for specific questions

If you use JOF or any other RCIA resource that relies on “handouts” issue each participant a 3 ring binder, or at least a folder, to keep track of these things. JOF includes a journaling feature, and they should be kept together to get full benefit.

with any of a number of resources, Liguori has one, on Breaking Open the Word with children, you are good to go.

the RCIA is liturgy, which is why the “book” is a liturgical resource. The preparation and conversion experience of the individual is a process. The published resources and aids packaged by a specific publisher is a program. IMO.

I usually use the term RCIC even though I know it is technically incorrect. However, saying The Rite of Christian Initiation for Adults for children (i.e. RCIA for children) just seems a bit like an oxymoron. Is it for adults or is it for children? Also, I find people get confused when you use the same term for adults and for children; so, just to simplify I’ve gotten in the habit of saying “RCIC” when referring for the children s version. I wonder why they did not call it simply “The Rite of Christian Initiation” then the “for Adults” or “for Chidlren” part could be added as a clarifying modifier .

Because RCIA refers specifically to the rites and rituals used with anyone who has reached the age of reason and is, therefore, a canonical adult. It doesn’t vary for children.

However, the way we prepare them for each of these steps and periods varies according to their age and their degree of previous preparation. That’s why I think that saying someone is “in RCIA” or that you “teach RCIA” should be replaced by “they are preparing” or “they are being prepared” or “I’m preparing them” for Baptism, for reception into full communion or to complete their initiation. The way you go about that varies by parish and by diocese.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.