RE: Are Catholics exempt from Mandatory Sunday Mass after age 65?

I see that Father Serpa just got this question. It seems to pop up some place every month or two.

My reaction is: why wouldn’t one go to mass after this age? Come on kids. It’s time cram for your finals. :smiley:

I agree with you, Joe! There is a lady in our parish… who is a friend of ours. She is 92-93 years of age… and a real live wire! Bless her heart, and we love her to pieces. But she claims she doesn’t “need to go” to Mass anymore. I’m like… :eek: :eek: :eek:

In all fairness, there are many Seniors who find it difficult (for one reason, or another) to get to Mass. But the closer I get to “Eternity”… the MORE I want to attend Mass! :heaven:

It seems like some elderly folks believe they’ve “acquired” enough Masses for heaven, or they don’t have to go because of their old age (“grave matter”), or they can’t hear much anymore so why go? Many reasons why. But age stops no one from God; God dose not exclude you from His Presence if you’re old or young, sick or well, free or slave, here or there, man or woman, etc. We have to stop thinking like men; it’s not about us, it’s about God. He is our King, not we of Him.

The only age-specific exemption is for fasting. Catholics 60 and older are not required to fast on Ash Wednesday and Good Friday. They are not, however, exempt from abstaining from meat on Fridays in Lent.

Only a Catholic who was Catholic merely out of some sort of conformist mind-set in following their religion, would think that when you reach a certain age, you’re exempt from Mass obligation.

People who actually have faith in Jesus Christ, desire to attend Mass and will do so, as long as they’re physically able.

When I was a hospice volunteer, my last patient was 103 years old. She attended Mass everyday, until her cancer prevented her, which was about the last month of her life.

Jim

I’m 68 yrs. old & just retired this summer. I figure if I could get 4 children ready for Mass, travel 30 minutes each way to get there back home again, it’s a cinch now that they are all grown & married. In fact, now that I’m retired, I’m planning to attend Mass a couple of times during the week, too. To me, NOW is the time to volunteer at the parish & take more time & make more effort concerning my Spiritual life & my parish.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.