Re-baptism

I was baptized as a Baptist a but I want to convert. When I convert I want to be baptized into the catholic church. But all things I can find on this subject say I shouldn’t or cant because my baptism counts. I really want to even if it dosent do anything to me spiritually!
Can I do this ? Has anyone else gone through this?

You are validly baptized. Baptism is an indelible mark on our soul that incorporates us into the Body of Christ, remits original and personal sin, and infuses our soul with sanctifying grace and the indwelling of the Holy Spirit.

You cannot be “rebaptized” or baptized a second time. It isn’t possible.

You cannot be baptized again because you already are.

Spend more time learning why this is not possible. When you are received into the Church, you will be cleansed in the Sacrament of Reconciliation.

No. It is not possible.

Your baptism will be completed and strengthened in the Sacrament of Confirmation.

It depends whether your baptism was given with the proper form. You need to discuss this with your new priest where you are preparing to enter the Church. If your former baptism was valid, as determined by your pastor, you cannot receive a new sacrament, since baptism is bestowed only once. If it was not valid, due to lack of form, he will advise you and bestow the sacrament conditionally when you enter the Church formally.

For instance, if the words used were “I baptize you in the name of the Creator, the Redeemer, and the Spirit” or any such words that are not in the Trinitarian formula, it would be invalid form and require a rebaptism.

A baptism from a baptist preacher is valid and they will not rebaptize. I too wanted to be rebaptized when I converted and they wouldn’t. The reason is in the creed. " I believe in one baptism"

My baptism in a nondenominational church counted as well. I was totally willing to get baptized again :rolleyes: lol

Baptism in the Baptist Church is valid and accepted by the Catholic Church. This means you cannot be baptised again.

I was a Methodist before converting and my Methodist baptism was valid. I could not be re-baptised. Those in my RCIA group who were unbaptised were baptised and those like me were not re-baptised but formally accepted into the Catholic Church.

For information see link for baptisms accepted by the Church as valid or invalid.

archbalt.org/evangelization/worship/rcia/upload/Validity-of-Baptisms-and-Confirmation.pdf

I was in the UMC as well before converting. However, I was unable to provide any documentation for baptism (and boy, did I look) and no one is left now who could attest to it for me so I will receive a conditional baptism when confirmed.

If I had been able to prove baptism I might have spent a shorter time in RCIA. However, I actually prefer things working out the way they did and to have the conditional baptism done. This way I’ll be sure it is done correctly, and I’ll remember it later!

No, you can’t as already explained, but, yes, an attempt to rebaptize does do something to you spiritually: it places you in a state of mortal sin, specifically, sacrilege. So no, it’s not only a bad idea or ineffective, but it is gravely sinful.

Scripture says: there is one baptism.

I grew up in a fundamentalist Baptist church, so I understand the question. My Baptist church did not recognize any baptisms from any church other than fundamentalist Baptist churches. If a person from the Protestant church across the street wanted to join, there would be a second baptism.

If a person felt he “wasn’t right with the Lord” at the time of the first baptism, there would be another baptism. Baptism only came after a person reached the age to request what was called believer’s baptism. Two or more baptisms for the same person were not unusual for people coming from other churches or for those who questioned their level of faith the first time baptized.

Based on that experience, I was surprised to learn that I would not have to be baptized again on reception into the Church. I certainly understand the reasoning now, but it seemed so odd to me back then.

Theologically speaking, as people have said, generally speaking, one baptism is considered valid throughout one’s life. That said, I know some people who decided to get rebaptised because they had fallen away from the faith and decided to return or they hadthis wonderful conversion experience or they decided to become active in their faith or for whatever reason they decided to be rebaptized. It was important to them and the people I know who did it, it was something they never regretted. Therefore technically speaking you can get rebaptised even though it goes against church teaching.

I was considering it at one point and my spiritual director mentioned the idea of having a rededication ceremony where you rededicate your faith to God. I don’t know how it would work because it was an idea that never materialized further than an idea but it could be another option that follows more with the church teaching- regardless in both cases, you would have to ask your priest and see what is possible.

I know in my case becoming Catholic, the entire 1st communion and confirmation became a rededication service and it was awesome. I ended up having a little reception afterwords with some food and some friends. I also did not join the church at the regular time as in most people become Catholic at the easter vigil mass, I became Catholic on a separate Sunday as part of the Sunday mass and that was so special. It was easier. Message me and I’ll explain more about it if you wish.

The key concept is that with baptism is remission of sins, so this particular remission is only once.

When properly disposed Catholics make a renewal of baptismal vows, there are indulgences, both plenary and partial, for it (with the usual conditions):28 Profession of Faith and Acts of the Theological Virtues

1 A plenary indulgence is granted to the faithful who, at the celebration of the Easter Vigil or on the anniversary of their own Baptism, renew their baptismal vows in any legitimately approved formula.
2 A partial indulgence is granted to the faithful who
1/ renew their baptismal vows in any formula;

Enchiridion of Indulgences, fourth edition 1999.

I understand what you mean, and it is commendable, but you do have to also consider something, here.

We Catholics see our Church as being founded by Jesus Christ, and setting Peter and his successors as His Vicar over His Church. Peter is the visible head, Christ the invisible head. Obedience and mortification of our own wills is a major element in Catholicism. Just as Christ Himself did everything because it was from the Father. Just as the angels did what they did because they were sent by God.

Do what you are instructed, and then you are not following your own will, but God’s will for you through His Holy Church.

This took me a long time to accept. Don’t worry if it seems intimidating or even revolting. I had violent revulsions within me, especially related to our teachings on those hot-button issues set the secular world so strongly against us, today. In time I developed a fuller understanding of God and Church and what her teachings meant, and why I had to let God’s will be my own modus operandi.

Edit: do not forget about the Sacrament of Penance. It is something some converts have a lot of trouble with. If this is the case with you, try to listen to talks from those who have converted to the faith. The Sacrament of Penance will absolve you from all your sins, so long as you are contrite… you will be made right with the Lord.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.