RE:former Catholic priest's(Alberto Cutie) book "Dilemma"

When the anniversery of John Paul II's death came about this year, CNN hauled Cutie on as a commentator. I later saw him on another news program promoting the mentioned book.

I hope this is not a sin against charity, but good riddance. His self-justifications are circular and shallow at best. He claims the Episcopalian Church is "both Catholic and Reformed" (as the Firesign Theater puts it, "How can you be in two places at once when you're not any where at all?") He's well placed in a denomination that is consistently commiting theological and demographic suicide, driving its actual believing members into the Catholic Church or the Eastern Orthodox--if it doesnt suceed in driving them into unbelief. The Episcopalians are only 2nd to the even more liberal United Churches of Christ in loss of members over the last.40 years. Cuties in good compnay in a denomination that promotes blatant heretics (yes, I am talking about Bishop Spong)--there is almost no need to talk about priestesses and openly active-homosexual clergy.

And how does adding the burdens of a family ease the burdens of ANY clergy’s time? There is only ONE apostle mentioned as being married at some point (Peter) and both Jesus and Paul were unmarried. The Orthodox and the Catholic Eastern Rites do have married clergy, but both have celibate monk orders and in both, Bishops must be unmarried (from monk vows or widowed). And having a clergyman as a husband or a father is NO favor to the family–ever hear of the "Preacher’s kid phenomena?

A few years back, NBC ran a couple of a pilot episodes of a truly wretched (at times blashphemous) series called The Book of Daniel which was about an Episcopalian vicar and his family–and was unintentiionaly one of the BEST arguments in favor of clerical celibacy.

You are mistaken about the Eastern Rites. Married men may be ordained in the Eastern Rite and even, by exception, in the Latin rite. But in neither rite may a man already ordained marry.

It is a tremedous burden on many of the current priests with so many members in their congregations. I know of one priest who suffered an emotional breakdown with the demands upon his time.

And how, exactly, would adding the stresses of family life help with that burden?

The Apostles were all married and devoted to Christ, but all of them are Saints.

Your source? The Gospels tell us that Peter had a mother-in-law but there is no mention of a wife. He may have been a widower, we don’t know. As for the other Apostles, what evidence do you have that they “were all married”?

I am questioning the Church on its current policy because I only want the best for the Catholic Church. Sometimes policy changes can resolve problems within the Catholic Church.

And sometimes they create new ones. The Church has been studying this for decades. The number of married priests, while still small, is growing. I favor this deliberate, careful approach.

[quote="laszlo, post:3, topic:225345"]
The bottom line is that there is no sex in heaven.

Priests make a promise to anticipate the heaven and live without sex, so they can represent Jesus Christ.

This could be otherwise, but until the Apostolic See changes it, this is so.

This former priest broke his word, and now he lives in sin.

He can reconcile with God and with the Church according to the current regulations either by leaving his partner and returning to the Church, or in age 40 or five years after his attempted marriage (whichever comes later) and giving up his clerical status .

The enemies of the Church make him hero in his present status living in sin.

[/quote]

Well said!!! :thumbsup:

Who made the celibacy rule for priests? It was made hundreds of years ago by the Catholic Church. Regardless if whether one or all of the Apostles were married or whether a person can become a priest in the Eastern Rite and then marry, what is really wrong with a priest being married while serving his congregation if the Church changed its celibacy policy? People who are married are happier, have less depression or substance abuse, and live longer than people who do not get married. Most Catholic parents do not want their sons to become priests because of the celibacy rule even if everyone in the family attends mass on a weekly basis and their children are educated at a Catholic school.

Almost every person came into this world from their parents having sex. Despite Church policy requiring them to remain celibate and to follow their vows, half of all priests are having sex. Both straight and gay priests. The Catholic Church is aware of this. Most bishops know which of their priests are having sex or having a relationship. However, as long as a priest does not tell members of their congregation or it is not reported in the media, bishops generally do not say anything to their priest breaking their vows. They do not want to lose their priests.

Father Cutie’s superiors knew about his relationship even before it was reported. What is the purpose of any church law on the books if half the members of your clergy do not even follow it themselves?

[quote="KMarusak, post:20, topic:225345"]
I truly believe that the Catholic Church will resolve its priest shortage by allowing priests to marry. The Eastern Rite of the Catholic Church already allows this. .

[/quote]

No actually the Eastern Rites of the Church do NOT allow priests to marry. What they allow is for the ordination of men who are already married.

They too recognize that once a man has recieved the Sacrament of Holy Orders, it is an impediment to the Sacrament of Matrimony.

It is possible that the Latin Rite might choose to more widely ordain married men, but like the East, it will not allow men who are already priests to enter into marriage and continue to engage in the priestly ministry.

I do doubt that, however, as there is really no indication that it will actually provide a long term solution. The Episcopalians and Lutherans also suffer from a clerical shortage.

And what happens when a bishop needs to re-assign such a priest? That is exactly the problem the Lutherans and Episcopalians are facing.

They find no ‘takers’ for poorer, rural parishes. In the Catholic Church, a priest must obey and accept his assignment. What does that do to the family life? Does the wife have a job and career that she must sacrifice, or can the only married men who are ordained be the ones married to stay at home mothers?

And who is going to be supporting the many children that an open to life priest may have(maybe10 kids)?Who is going to be taking the care and time kids deserve, going to soccer games, to rehersals, to Mc Donald's on Sundays, etc, etc.It would not be fair to the wife or them not to do his part.He would be torn between his parishioner's needs and his family needs.What if any of his children gets into drugs or misbehaviour?
Will being a priest become like any job,9 to 5PM.?The wife deserves company ,romance time and travel together, etc.
And then may come the marital problems, divorces,and the congregation will follow the events in the local tabloids.Women may start to approach priests as men,and potential husbands, not only as spiritual pastors.Wives would be jealous.
The things I mention are not unrealistic things, but possible.
Jesus' apostles were free to follow Him everywhere to gain souls and live an unmaterialistic, spiritual life.And that was the way He exemplified how to do it.
Should we improve on that?

[quote="Brendan, post:27, topic:225345"]
And what happens when a bishop needs to re-assign such a priest? That is exactly the problem the Lutherans and Episcopalians are facing.

They find no 'takers' for poorer, rural parishes. In the Catholic Church, a priest must obey and accept his assignment. What does that do to the family life? Does the wife have a job and career that she must sacrifice, or can the only married men who are ordained be the ones married to stay at home mothers?

[/quote]

add to that uprooting children every 6 to 12 years. Either you are a full time priest or a part time minister. All the ministers I know work a 40 hour job as well as managing their pastoral duties. A close friend's husband was the son of a minister. He felt he always came last in his father's priority list.

The Church feels you can't serve two masters.

This guy is going to have a talk show. They nickname him Father Oprah. I'm very wary of how much damage he's going to do. I see that he's posted at places like Huffington Post and I think that's the kind of audience he'll pander to.

I'm worried that Ex Fr. now Mr. Corapi will go down the same road. I had no idea Cutie was on EWTN. That makes me so sad. I thought he was just another liberal priest who finally decided the Vatican wasn't giving up any time soon and left. :( :(

Paul VI said that the smoke of satan has entered the sanctuary, and now previously holy men are dying of smoke inhalation.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.