Re: SPLIT: "Holy Water Is Unbiblical, " He Said

Having heard from non-Catholic posters that heresy is “anything that contradicts God’s word,” I’ll point out that he himself met this definition by calling holy water “unBiblical” although holy water appears in Numbers 5:17. Technically, that counts as “contradicting God’s word,” so he’ll need a more precise definition of “heresy” to avoid falling under it – hopefully a definition provided by the Bible, not by mere men.

Maybe you should PM the member to bring the discussion over here.

Yeah, there’s a lot of disconnect here LOL. I posted the above language within another thread, and it got moved and somewhat re-worded to become this thread. It was for the benefit of a member who never did reply — probably because there really is no reply. Once you see that holy water is described in the Bible, there’s really nothing else to say.

I really don’t think this passage describes Holy Water. If you read on, it’s referred to as “water of bitterness and cursing”. It says that if an unclean woman drinks the water, her sexual organs will shrivel and her belly will swell.

That aint Holy Water.

“…and the priest shall take HOLY WATER in an earthen vessel, and take some of the dust that is on the floor of the tablernacle and put it in the water.” Numbers 5:17.

It’s not my interpretation, it’s the actual words of the text. “Holy water.”

Hmmm… the New Jerusalem Bible I have just says “fresh water”. In any event, this passage clearly doesn’t describe the principles behind Holy Water - the idea that a prayer can attach to material. It isn’t describing the same thing.

Perhaps you should start with a definition of “holy water”, then determine a standard as to how to determine if something is unBiblical, and then we will have something to debate. So, what is “holy water”? Are you claiming it is the same thing in churches today that was referenced in Numbers? Is it used to test the faithfulness of women as part of a rite supervised by a priest? Or is it a reminder of baptism, totally separated from the context of the book of Numbers?

I am just passing through…I wish I had the time to explore this topic on this thread. I will probably lurk it from time to time, because it sounds like an interesting subject. Kudos to whoever thought of splitting it from wherever…

D-R Bible, Haydock Commentary:

Ver. 17—18. Holy water, destined for sacred uses, which is called most bitter, ver. 18, (Menochius) and cursed, (ver. 22,) on account of the imprecations used to detect the guilty. (Worthington) — Earth, to shew the woman, that if she had been unfaithful, she deserved to be trodden upon as dung, Ecclesiasticus ix. 10. — Head, that she may remember all is naked before the Lord. (Menochius) — Hebrew may signify, “he shall cut the hair of her head,” (see Leviticus x. 6.; Calmet) or take off her veil. (Josephus, [Antiquities?] iii. 10.) (Haydock) — Remembrance, by which God was requested to manifest the truth, either by punishing or by rewarding the woman, ver. 15, 28. (Menochius) — Bitter, either on account of the wormwood, or because of their effects on the guilty. (Calmet)

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.