RE: What was the Sin Adam and Eve did?

Could you tell me what was the fruit which Adam and Eve eaten in the Aden (Heaven)?
What snake gave to Eve to eat?
Can any body help me……………

First, the Garden of Eden was not Heaven. Eden was a place on Earth.

As to the fruit, we do not know what the fruit was. The fruit is symbolic of disobeying God. From the Catechism:

390 The account of the fall in Genesis 3 uses figurative language, but affirms a primeval event, a deed that took place at the beginning of the history of man. Revelation gives us the certainty of faith that the whole of human history is marked by the original fault freely committed by our first parents.

396 God created man in his image and established him in his friendship. A spiritual creature, man can live this friendship only in free submission to God. The prohibition against eating “of the tree of the knowledge of good and evil” spells this out: “for in the day that you eat of it, you shall die.” The “tree of the knowledge of good and evil” symbolically evokes the insurmountable limits that man, being a creature, must freely recognize and respect with trust. Man is dependent on his Creator, and subject to the laws of creation and to the moral norms that govern the use of freedom.

397 Man, tempted by the devil, let his trust in his Creator die in his heart and, abusing his freedom, disobeyed God’s command. This is what man’s first sin consisted of. All subsequent sin would be disobedience toward God and lack of trust in his goodness.

There was no mention of the specific fruit that was eaten by Adam and Eve. All we know is that is was the fruit of the tree of knowledge of good and evil. Often an apple is used to represent that fruit, but I doubt that it was an apple.

As far as what kind of snake tempted eve, we do not know what kind or whether it was even a snake. We know it was a “serpent”.

As far as the sin of Adam and Eve, the sin was disobeying God’s direct command not to eat the fruit of the tree of knowledge of good and evil.

The bible doesn’t mention. If one was to speculate, it would be the fig. As a punishment and reminder of their actions, they sewed together fig leaves to cover their nakedness.

However their true sin was their disobedience to God’s law.

And maybe Pride - they wished to be their own god.

Serpent becomes a snake as punishment-on your belly shall you crawletc

While it is not a Catholic version of the fruit that Adam and Eve ate, JD Jakes talked about how the fruit was a “thought.” It is a “thought” that did not come from God.
Satan tempted Adam and Eve, saying they would be like God. God was no longer needed. In disobeying God, by eating the fruit, Adam and Eve rejected God.
The Theology of the Body goes more into detail of how this “thought” corrupted our ideas of one another. Man and woman were made in the image and likeness of God. By accepting this fruit, our image of one other was distorted. It is that distorted image that Adam and Eve hid. Naked vulnerability, which implies trust was lost. It is that distorted image that allows for disordered relationships, where man and woman are viewed as objects rather than the final touch of God’s creation, which He had pronounced “very good.”

The lies of the dragon seem to be summarized in two components:

“You will surely not die!” Which implies that God is not telling the truth, which simply implies, do not believe in anything that God has said, and do not believe there are any consequences to lack of faith and/or disobeying the revelation.

This is the first and greatest lie, and the second is like it:

Once man has no regard for what God has said, nor to obey Him, it necessarily implies that he neither needs God nor lives for him. What then is man living for? The Creation!

Hence, in a certain sense, the fruit is the creation. But God willed man to receive the Creation from Him, which, in God’s hands, is on a Tree of Life, as an expression of Divine Mysteries and love, and as a means of loving Him and others. To take the creation then, from this tree of life-giving meaning and love, is to divorce the Creation from the Creator’s design and to raise it to the level of ulitmate fulfillment of man, to take it as an end in and of itself, instead of as only a means to an end [which, again, is love, to give and receive intimately in intellect and will].

The supreme expression of the sacramental meaning of Creation is Marriage, which appropriately is mocked in the Whore. Also, God brought down water from heaven to baptize humanity in redemption, the False prophet reigns down fire from heaven, the antithesis.

The first lie then sets itself against Baptism, seeing as it denies the foundational components of Baptism: repentance (I WILL do God’s Will, I will not take the fruit) and faith (I DO believe in what God has said).

The second lie is accurately the whore, the antithesis of marriage: taking the most profound sacramental reality in Creation and divorcing it from love and meaning, taking the creation (the lustful pleasure of fornication) as an end by itself, which is what happens in all mortal sins: preferring a created good, divorced from its life giving meaning, to the Uncreated good, which is God. That is, the reprobate Marry the creation, rather than God.

The false prophet has two horns, like a Lamb, who has seven. Christ instituted seven sacraments, which are the horns of power in His Redemption of man. The devil plagiarizes the sacraments. Heretics retain only two sacraments, Baptism and Marriage. Hence, the dragon’s ultimate lies in the beginning, the basis of all iniquity in any great age of sin in history, are just the mocking plagiarization of the two sacraments left to heretics, making his lies, therefore, the “ultimate heresy.”

So, then that means that animals lost their ability for speech too at the fall? Otherwise, why would Eve have not freaked out instead of carrying on a conversation with a serpent/snake? (Oh the things they could tell us now if our pets could still talk! :stuck_out_tongue: )

No, it does not mean that at all.

The story of the Fall is not literal history, and the serpent is not meant to be taken as a literal animal any more than the fruit is meant to be taken as a real fruit.

I think their sin is that they failed to choose the eternal life offered by God and instead choose the eternal life offered by the devil.

Mine talks -doesn’t everybody’s:D

HAHAHA!!! i laughed out loud :smiley: Well…there goes Narnia.

Can any body tell me where mention in the Holy book that animals speaks?

The serpent in the Garden is the only “animal” that I know of that spoke.

Gen3:1 Now the serpent was the most cunning of all the animals that the LORD God had made. The serpent asked the woman, “Did God really tell you not to eat from any of the trees in the garden?”

And the sin our first parents commited was disobedience of God’s command.

And the type of fruit was irrelevant, but the fact that you can’t “unbite” a fruit shows that by eating of the fruit they commited an IRREVOCABLE sin, which would have huge consequences.

Some will try to tell you that the fruit itself magically conveyed knowledge (of good and evil), while all it really did was act as a signal to man and God that the irrevocable sin of direct disobedience of God had occured.

After eating, our parents, who had before known only good and no evil, suddenly knew evil and how it differed from good, because they had commited evil and could “feel” it’s effects.

The serpent (Satan) told them it would make them like God. All it taught them was that only God is God, and the consequence of sin is death a really LONG learning process for mankind to get it through our thick skulls what SIN really does to us and the world.

Oh i found one,lol. " And the Lord opened the mouth of the donkey, and she said: What have I done to thee? Why strikest thou me, lo, now this third time? Balaam answered: Because thou hast deserved it, and hast served me ill: I would I had a sword that I might kill thee. The donkey said: Am not I thy beast, on which thou hast been always accustomed to ride until this present day? tell me if I ever did the like thing to thee. But he said: Never." Numbers 28-30.
And of course Genesis with the serpent.

[quote=Numbers 22:26-31]Then the angel of the LORD moved on ahead and stood in a narrow place where there was no room to turn, either to the right or to the left. When the donkey saw the angel of the LORD, she lay down under Balaam, and he was angry and beat her with his staff.

Then the LORD opened the donkey’s mouth, and she said to Balaam, “What have I done to you to make you beat me these three times?”

Balaam answered the donkey, “You have made a fool of me! If I had a sword in my hand, I would kill you right now.”

The donkey said to Balaam, “Am I not your own donkey, which you have always ridden, to this day? Have I been in the habit of doing this to you?”

“No,” he said.

Then the LORD opened Balaam’s eyes, and he saw the angel of the LORD standing in the road with his sword drawn. So he bowed low and fell facedown.
[/quote]

There’s also this too, but it’s more metaphor and hyperbole than literal truth…

[quote=Job 12:7-8]"But ask the animals, and they will teach you,
or the birds of the air, and they will tell you;
or speak to the earth, and it will teach you,
or let the fish of the sea inform you.
[/quote]

Many things “speak” to us. When I bought a house in WI, my mother told me not to fill it with furniture. “Wait for the house to tell you what it wants.”

“Sin takes us where we do not want to go and keeps us there longer than we want to stay.” Sin makes us aware of our vulnerability and the reality that we can and do hurt each other by our sinful actions. Before sin there was no need to hide or to protect ourselves from each other.

Balaam’s donkey also spoke. Oh yeah, but I forgot, we don’t take anything in the Bible literally…

Num 22:28-30

We take everything in the bible literally, but not literalistically.

Balaam was a “soothsayer” and could probably hear LOTS of strange things “speak”. That God “hijacked” Balaam’s ability to “hear things speak” to give him a message sounds reasonable to me! :slight_smile:

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.