Read excitedly and all out of breath: The Greenland Ice Cap is melting

It’s M-E-L-T-I-N-G!!!

Ohhhhhhhhhh!!!

It’s losing several gigatons of ice per minute, so some such.

So I went to www.wattsupwiththat.com and here’s the story.

You can click on the link below and that has a link to a scarey article. Terrifying. Summary of the terrifyingly scarey article:

Scott Luthcke weighs Greenland — every 10 days. And the island has been losing weight, an average of 183 gigatons (or 200 cubic kilometers) — in ice — annually during the past six years. That’s one third the volume of water in Lake Erie every year. Greenland’s shrinking ice sheet offers some of the most powerful evidence of global warming.

Now, that sounds pretty scary, it’s losing a third of the volume of Lake Erie every year. Can’t have that.

So, what does that mean in real numbers:

wattsupwiththat.com/2010/05/23/on-being-the-wrong-size/#more-19819

Excerpt:

Well, if we take the small estimate of ice cap volume, and the large estimate of loss, we get 220 km^3 lost annually / 2,600,000 km^3 total. This is an annual loss of 0.008%, and a time to total loss of 12,000 years.

Going the other way, we get 180 km^3 lost annually / 3,400,000 km^3 total. This is an annual loss of 0.005%, and a time to total loss of 19,000 years.

It is always important to include the errors in the calculation, to see if they make a significant difference in the result. In this case they happen to not make much difference, but each case is different.

That’s what angrifies my blood mightily, meaningless numbers with no errors presented for maximum shock value. Looking at the real measure, we find that Greenland is losing around 0.005% — 0.008% of its ice annually, and if that rate continues, since this is May 23rd, 2010, the Greenland Ice Cap will disappear entirely somewhere between the year 14010 and the year 21010 … on May 23rd …

So the next time you read something that breathlessly says …

“If this activity in northwest Greenland continues and really accelerates some of the major glaciers in the area — like the Humboldt Glacier and the Peterman Glacier — Greenland’s total ice loss could easily be increased by an additional 50 to 100 cubic kilometers (12 to 24 cubic miles) within a few years”

… you can say “Well, if it does increase by the larger estimate of 100 cubic km per year, and that’s a big if since the scientists are just guessing, that would increase the loss from 0.007% per year to around 0.010% per year, meaning that the Greenland Ice Cap would only last until May 23rd, 12010.”

Finally, the original article that got my blood boiling finishes as follows:

The good news for Luthcke is that a separate team using an entirely different method has come up with measurements of Greenland’s melting ice that, he says, are almost identical to his GRACE data. The bad news, of course, is that both sets of measurements make it all the more certain that Greenland’s ice is melting faster than anyone expected.

Oh, please, spare me. As the article points out, we’ve only been measuring Greenland ice using the GRACE satellites for six years now. How could anyone have “expected” anything? What, were they expecting a loss of 0.003% or something? And how is a Greenland ice loss of seven thousandths of one percent per year “bad news”? Grrrr …

I’ll stop here, as I can feel my blood pressure rising again.

Yeah. So? There is more lava flowing nearer the surface of Greenland and a volcano in Iceland is spewing ash. Meanwhile, in the Antarctic, an underwater volcano appeared near an ice shelf called Larsen B around the time of its collapse. The earth has been doing all this stuff for a while now. :slight_smile:

God bless,
Ed

It’s not.

You mean… the planet is acting as it always has?

Don’t tell that to Al Gore.

But… but… What about Trillions of dollars in Save The Planet profits? Big business wants us to run around screaming The Sky is Falling so they can “save” us while vacuuming the money out of our wallets.

On the other hand, we do have pollution problems, but I hear there’s not much money in that.

God bless :slight_smile:
Ed

carbon tax

The Greenland ice cap is melting?

Good. Maybe we can start raising wheat, tomatoes, and grapes there, like the Vikings were doing a thousand years ago. And all without benefit of large-scale manmade industrial pollution, cattle production, and artificial chemicals, I might add.

How’d they do that? :wink:

Honestly, I swear I can’t understand how anyone can still think global warming is joke. There is overwhelming evidence that the earth is heating up and if you can’t look at the data then just look at the global temperatures. Alaska is 5 degrees warmer than it used to be. The overall globe is 1 degree warmer.

Rather than even considering the information in front of you, people can’t seem to wait to bash Al Gore over the head when pretty much the entire world is in agreement that the earth is heating up as if he were the only person alive that thinks it’s a reality.

It is not Global Warming that is the joke. It is the all the Chicken Little’s flapping around hysterically about our imminent doom that are the joke.

This is a perfectly natural phenomenon. The earth has been warming and cooling in long cycles ever since life began. We are in a post- ice age warming phase right now. Another ice age will come; have no fear! :slight_smile:

[quote="jmcrae, post:10, topic:199356"]
This is a perfectly natural phenomenon. The earth has been warming and cooling in long cycles ever since life began. We are in a post- ice age warming phase right now. Another ice age will come; have no fear! :)

[/quote]

I really dislike the cold.

Screws up the soybeans.

Actually, Climate Warmist are the last ones on the bus.
Everybody else has known the Climate Changes

The joke is to assign it to the schemes presented to ‘cure’ it. :slight_smile:

[quote="j1akey, post:8, topic:199356"]
Honestly, I swear I can't understand how anyone can still think global warming is joke. There is overwhelming evidence that the earth is heating up and if you can't look at the data then just look at the global temperatures. Alaska is 5 degrees warmer than it used to be. The overall globe is 1 degree warmer.

Rather than even considering the information in front of you, people can't seem to wait to bash Al Gore over the head when pretty much the entire world is in agreement that the earth is heating up as if he were the only person alive that thinks it's a reality.

[/quote]

What evidence? Do you mean the 'adjusted' data base produced by HADCRUT or the equally doctored temperature records of the NOAA and NASA GISS. Or how about the thousands of reporting stations left out of the calculations, especially those in cold places like Siberia? The AGW 'scientists' began with a premise and made the data fit, even if they had to change it to make it do so.

Anthropogenic Global Warming is a hoax, a scam, a rort, but not a joke. It scares me that so many politicians are still onboard with this. They are using this false premise to impose huge increases in costs to us consumers while they rake it in and live like kings. If the proponents of this scam really believed it, they would live the way they are dictating that the rest of us should live.

Al Gore is a case in point. He does not live as though he believes any of it. He lives the way he wants, uses as much fuel and energy as his heart desires and significantly more than the average family, like 20 times as much (not including his new non-'green' mansion).

Don't you love these hypocritical Climatards? (That's the term they prefer, I hear).

They want to control your lives: how big your car can be, how much water your toilet can hold, the kind of light bulbs you can use. They even think there are limits on how much money you should be able to make.

But they put no limits on what they can have. Kind of like the old Soviet Politburo. Which is the kind of society they intend for us.

If he doesn't believe it is necessary to alter his own lifestyle to 'save the planet', why should we believe him when he says we have to alter ours (and pay him $$$$ in the process)?

A few words from the New york Times:

nytimes.com/2009/08/01/nyregion/01hot.html?_r=4&hp

I think global warming is like modern art. Twenty people can interpret it in twenty different ways.

God bless,
Ed

Hi, geologists are/were drilling Greenland ice-cores a couple years back and one interviewed looked kinda surprised when Global Warming was mentioned; he pointed to the gaps between the layers of ice in the core and demonstrated for the camera what he said, the earths temperatures change all the time, the temperatures can drop or rise over very short periods of time even over a 9 month period global temperatures can fall and in the next year global temperatures will be high. Earths temperature changes viewed as a graph look like the Himalayas and that is year by year change. He did not have much time for global warming, I’m afraid.

[quote="Wolseley, post:7, topic:199356"]
The Greenland ice cap is melting?

Good. Maybe we can start raising wheat, tomatoes, and grapes there, like the Vikings were doing a thousand years ago. And all without benefit of large-scale manmade industrial pollution, cattle production, and artificial chemicals, I might add.

How'd they do that? ;)

[/quote]

Leif Ericson grew grapes there as they did in the viking colony in Newfoundland until the climate became colder and made that form of agriculture unfeasible.

This is natural phenomenon,which is being exploited by scaremongering Chicken Littles who want CONTROL.It’s manufactured consent.Stop the average person on the street and ask if they believe in global warming,climate change etc.and they’ll probably say yes.Ask them why and they’ll say it was on TV so it must be true.When you have thousands of scientists who are being ostracised by their colleagues and the media somethin’ stinks.Google The Michael Coren Show for about the only rebuttal you’ll EVER see on the boob tube.

Just wait until the Usual Suspects arrive.They’re busy attacking my thread on the Icelandic Eruption.Then we’ll see contortionist arguementation.I have several on “ignore” so I’ll have to miss half the fun.

I do understand that global temperatures do changeover the long haul for various reasons. You are absolutely correct in saying that it’s a natural process. However I am in disagreement that what is happening today is naturally occuring.

From my perspective the “controversy” over global warming or climate change or whatever people want to call it these days is the same as the controversy with the evolution vs. creationism debate. That is to say it’s a manufactured controversy by people who want a desired outcome that is different than what the science actually tells them.

A year or two ago a survey of 3146 scientists was done to see what they thought and two questions were the big ones.

Those Questions were:

Have mean global temperatures risen compared to pre-1800s levels, and has human activity been a significant factor in changing mean global temperatures?

Roughly 90% agreed with the first question and 82% with the second. These were just general scientists with no specific background.

However 97% of actual climatologists that are actually in the field studying this said that humans had a role in the recent rise of global temperatures. Scientists and climatologists specifically don’t have an agenda here, their only goal is to understand what is going on.

When I see things like this I have to think that the vast majority of people in this field of study have a pretty good consensus about what is actually happening. Not because that’s the outcome they want but because that’s what their observations and tests tell them and because they probably know what they’re talking having dedicated their entire careers to this field of study.

I also have to ask because I’m not piecing it together but exactly what “control” are you referring to when you say “This is natural phenomenon,which is being exploited by scaremongering Chicken Littles who want CONTROL”. I’m not trying to start another argument but I really don’t understand what you mean by this? Who’s doing the controlling and what are they trying to control and why?

I will check out The Michael Coren Show after work today. Didn’t have time to get to it last night.

Oops, double post.

Anyway, I’m hoping to have a real discussion here about this. I almost didn’t even post anything the first time because most of the posts in this thread do nothing but mock about ice ages as if that extreme is any more desireable for some reason but don’t offer much else to convince me that climatologists are incorrect in their findings.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.