"Read Me or Rue It"?

I want to ask if anybody's read this book (well it's more of a booklet) called Read Me or Rue It by some guy named Fr. Paul O' Sullivan. It's a book about Purgatory but frankly well... somehow my general reaction is more likely to flatten it than flatter it. At the risk of sounding ignorant, is this book approved by the Church? My sister brought it home from her retreat and I just picked it up partly out of boredom and partly out of curiosity.

Now I don't know much to say if the book is accurate but my problem with it stems from the, eh, emotional force the author puts behind his words. Forgive me but it just strongly reminds me too much of the fear-preaching tactics that stigmatizes many religions. If this book is actually something you'd recommend, can you help 'translate' the author's choice of words to something less confrontational? Thank you.

For those unfamiliar with it, the text is here: sufferingsouls.com/part3.htm

This booklet was written in 1936, in a time when it was not considered "politically incorrect" to preach about the realities of sin, death, purgatory, and hell. (And the style of writing may also be a product of the era in which it was written.)

For someone raised in today's "I'm OK, you're OK, don't worry, God loves you" world, I can see that the nature of this booklet might take you aback.

What parts in particular offend you? Maybe we can help if you are a little more specific. If it's just that you don't like to think about the reality of Purgatory, I can't help you there; it is part of the unchanging teaching of the Church.

You might also be interested in reading the writings of Catherine of Genoa, a 15th century mystic (also a canonized saint) who had visions of what Purgatory is like: cfpeople.org/Apologetics/page51a013.html

The unchanging part of the teaching is the existence of purgatory, not in the inference as to its nature or essence. Too many people compare minutia for existence of contradiction in different teachings to either pit one pope against another or to invalidate this or that council.

The pamphlet is an example of the legalism and mostly “negative”, as in lacking positive attributes and focusing on the prohibitions, which were part of the mindset of the day. Vat II made this legalism a major point in reforming the Church, and as the Bible shows, Jesus’ teaching is more positive as in gaining heaven and virtue rather than avoiding sinners, following the legalism of the Pharisees, or seeing sin in those physically afflicted. This is the major teaching of the wisdom and priestly sections of the Old Testament, Psalms, Proverbs, Wisdom, etc.

Jesus just didn’t make stuff up or present teachings that were innovative or that the Pharisees couldn’t have known by desiring to do God’s Will. His teaching seen in the New Testament is the fulfillment of Old Testament teaching, and it was the human nature of the Pharisees that erred, in the same way the Church had to be reformed of this at Vat II. Union with God is more about what you should do than about what you shouldn’t, but the negative attributes should not be abrogated as some, in overreaction to accentuating the positive, have done.

Those who say the ejaculations[prayers] 1,000 times a day gain 300,000 days Indulgence! What a multitude of souls they can thus relieve! What will it not be at the end of a month, a year, 50 years? And if they do not say the ejaculations, what an immense number of graces and favors they shall have lost! It is quite possible – and even easy – to say these ejaculations 1,000 times a day. But if one does not say them 1,000 times, let him say them 500 or 200 times.

An example of negation and legalism. Why not 24/7 of purgatory prayer? Because union with God through the Holy Spirit in your soul is most important to sanctification. Miss out on this and you will be lucky to get to use your indulgence to get out of purgatory as you will have no divine life in your soul to even make “final cleansing” necessary. In contrast to the errors of those who don’t follow the Magisterial teaching of the Church, is the myriad of theological brilliance in the likes of “Theology of the Body”, Veritatis Splendor, Fides et Ratio, Spe Salvi and Deus Caritas Est.

The Divine Mercy diary of St. Faustina no. 741 describes the reality of hell but the words of Jesus are far from negative and focus on the positive Love of God, trust, and hope. There is not much hope in prohibitions, but plenty of fear. You can lose the fear of God in His infinite Divine Mercy.

[quote="PhilotheaZ, post:2, topic:180566"]
For someone raised in today's "I'm OK, you're OK, don't worry, God loves you" world, I can see that the nature of this booklet might take you aback.

What parts in particular offend you? Maybe we can help if you are a little more specific. If it's just that you don't like to think about the reality of Purgatory, I can't help you there; it is part of the unchanging teaching of the Church.

[/quote]

Actually, I think Earnest here pretty much tackled my issue with this booklet. I don't support liberal sugarcoating but I don't support fanatical scare tactics either. I sort of agree with him that this book is more focus on a fear of God than love.

[quote="Lost_Wanderer, post:4, topic:180566"]
Actually, I think Earnest here pretty much tackled my issue with this booklet. I don't support liberal sugarcoating but I don't support fanatical scare tactics either. I sort of agree with him that this book is more focus on a fear of God than love.

[/quote]

I haven't read it, but will check out the link when I have time.

The main thing is, God is a just and a merciful God. If we are to suffer in purgatory, it will not be more than we deserve, though it may be less.

I have read some about this booklet,
it talk about souls in purgatory, i want to know more how could i help
souls in purgatory those who are really in need of our prayers,
what we must do.

[quote="alicebadilla, post:6, topic:180566"]
I have read some about this booklet,
it talk about souls in purgatory, i want to know more how could i help
souls in purgatory those who are really in need of our prayers,
what we must do.

[/quote]

The moderators have requested that we not resurrect old threads. The one you replied to is 3 years old. I see that you're new to CAF (welcome!!) and probably aren't aware of that forum rule. You are always welcome to start a new thread based on this book instead of digging up an old one.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.