Read what an apologist from GotQuestions.org told me

I asked Got Questions why so many protestants and evangelicals were turning to the Catholic faith. This is what one of its staff members told me:

*Answer:
To answer this we must first determine what the Roman Catholic church is:

The Catholic Church is a man centered, false religious system that is directly responsible for the worst atrocities this world has ever seen. It is responsible for the murder and torture of 50 million people to date just for not being or refusing to become Catholic. (just google Croatian holocaust or St. Bartholomews Day Massacre or Spanish Inquisition or rat lines) The vatican was in cahoots with Hitler and Mussolini and still is with the mob. The majority of catholicisms doctrines and practices are unbiblical and are based in paganism. It has perverted the true Gospel of Christ into a false gospel of works and sacraments. It is evil to the core and it insidiously does all this in the name of Christ. It is the political whore of Revelation 17 & 18. Catholicism is NOT Christianity.

What does this say about their salvation? It says that they were never truly born again to begin with or at the very least they have been deceived. Understand this, not everyone who claims to be Christian is Christian. Only those who have repented of sin and embraced saving faith in Christ are Christians. This act results in a changed life and if this life does not represent this fundamental change then they could possibly not be Christian to begin with.*

How would you respond?

With a prayer, the next time you’re in Church, for unity in the Church and for this person in particular, that he might let go of the lies he’s learned about the Church and instead, turn to God’s truth…

:wink:

My FIRST impulse cannot be posted here.

My second thought is how can this group be taken seriously??? The Catholic Church responsible for the Holocaust??? Really?

Their apologetics is flawed. Period.

Maybe with a little more time, I can think of something better than that.

Thank you for posting this.

Wow, that response is extremely ignorant. I guess you could respond by citing internet sources to prove that the historical stuff they mention is false. I know for sure that the Church was not responsible for the inquisition and the Church did not support Hitler. Since they did not cite any examples of what the Catholic faith believe that is unbiblical then just say that the Catholic Church is Biblical while Protestants do not follow all of the Bible. Say that Catholics believe what has always been believed in y the Church and that Protestants have changed beliefs to fit their own doctrine.

there isn’t anything you are going to say to their response that will change their minds. It would be better not to waste your time on anti-Catholic web sites because you have the cards stacked against you and you probably will not win anything but a black eye.

I think all of us should go on that website and cause it to overload and crash with all of the questions.

:confused:This is your first post here … hummmm

My response …

Why would you have gone there in the first place?

Why did you ask that question?

Are you a troll? and I mean no offense to you …

Why did you come here with this ?

After all - your question provided no real context to the site you asked - much like their answer back - merely words without substance - nothing to back it up the question or the answer …no citations, no numbers, prominent personages, specifics of any kind missing for those leaving their faith for the Catholic Church - no real information on the apostasy of the Church nor the crimes for which it is accused …

Gotquestions.org is non-denominational Protestant. They are calvinist, OSAS, chiliast, and dispensationalist. I would assume when you asked this question they were very angry at responding to it.

After all many protestants have responded to protestant-to-catholic conversions with that sort of rhetoric. I’ve basically read every question ever posted on their site.

I love this website. Almost every question you could ever want to know about the Catholic faith has been answered and every objection responded to. It is truly a gift. However, this website does not use Google as a weapon to attack protestant apologetics. Search almost any Catholic apologetics question and an anti-Catholic gotquestions.com article will usually be one of the first things to appear. They use Google to target the Catholic Church and purposely try to lead people out of the Church. To me, that fact alone is just sad. It is sad that they cannot see that Catholics are not their enemy, that while there are significant disagreements, there is much that can be agreed on.

I would say, “I am sorry you have been taught so much misinformation. I am also sorry if my question was offensive to you. I will pray for you, and that all Christians, myself included, follow our Lord’s command to love one another, as He has loved us.”

Didn’t really answer the question now did it? Hahahaha.

I would respond by NEVER going to that web site again and praying for the person who gave such a terrible answer. You will not change any minds or opinions over there, only the Holy Spirit can do that, through our prayer.

We will know if he responds back. If he doesn’t then it looks to be a troll.

Eh, my response would be to ask for sources.

Too bad we can’t start a Pool … I’d bet on the troll … :rolleyes: as for that site - I would not waste any time there … they take great pains to be 95 percent accurate - so they sound reasonable in their arguments against all things Catholic … and they seem to have a few former Catholics with chips on their shoulders … which also may account for how they get as close to the truth regarding the teachings of the Church and get so much wrong … :shrug:

Also the website is ** gotquestions.org** not gotquestions.com

Visit for laughs or stay away … my advice :wink:

That sounds like some deplorable things I said about the Church. No person could have ever changed my heart. Only the Holy Spirit could bring me across the Tiber!

I’ll respond directly.

As shown above, nope.

Sorry for using lots of links, but forum rules say to do so if what is intended to be read is more than a couple paragraphs.

It’s very Christocentric. Any Protestant who knows what they are talking about would agree.

It is responsible for the murder and torture of 50 million people to date just for not being or refusing to become Catholic.

How’d they come up with that number? And there’s a difference between the actions of Catholics and the spotless Bride of Christ according to Catholic theology.

(just google Croatian holocaust or St. Bartholomews Day Massacre or Spanish Inquisition or rat lines)

Because these aren’t misrepresenting Catholicism and Catholic behavior at all. And clearly Protestants are spotless. :rolleyes: Just look up “KKK” to see how much better Evangelicals are. (Don’t worry, I don’t actually think Evangelicals are evil racists. I’m just using Got?'s logic.)

The vatican was in cahoots with Hitler and Mussolini and still is with the mob.

That is a poor understanding of history to say the least.

The majority of catholicisms doctrines and practices are unbiblical and are based in paganism.

They can’t seriously have tried to understand why the Church teaches what she does.

It has perverted the true Gospel of Christ into a false gospel of works and sacraments. It is evil to the core and it insidiously does all this in the name of Christ.

Well at least we’ve established the Catholic Church really is Christocentric.

It is the political whore of Revelation 17 & 18. Catholicism is NOT Christianity.

How many reputable theologians or historians who are Protestant would honestly accept that?

What does this say about their salvation? It says that they were never truly born again to begin with or at the very least they have been deceived.

I agree. Many Catholics haven’t got a clue about their religion.

Understand this, not everyone who claims to be Christian is Christian.

100% true.

Only those who have repented of sin and embraced saving faith in Christ are Christians.

So I’m a Christian. :slight_smile:

But I’m a devout Catholic. :eek:

This is just sad. Hail Mary…

**http://i66.photobucket.com/albums/h244/corona_stellarum/Smilies/nun_slapping_ruler_hg_clr-2.gif
Posts have been removed that speculated as to the OP’s motives. That is inappropriate and violates the rules and guidelines found at the link in my sig line below, as well as being off topic.

Please offer the facts in refutation (as some of you have already done…and very well too I might add.) :thumbsup:**

That nun looks scary…childhood memories…haha

Thank you for your responses. I have seen that website on Google many times. I always sensed the Protestant bias, but never knew they were that anti-Catholic. I don’t know if that’s just the opinion of one of its employees or if its president shares that view.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.