Readers & Cantor Wearing Albs?

At an extremely formal OF Mass would there be any problem per the Church if the lay commissioned readers and the lay cantor wore white albs? Footnotes would be appreciated. Thanks.

[quote="Hotchkiss, post:1, topic:179180"]
At an extremely formal OF Mass would there be any problem per the Church if the lay commissioned readers and the lay cantor wore white albs? Footnotes would be appreciated. Thanks.

[/quote]

What is a extremely formal OF Mass?:shrug:

Please, please do not derail this thread...

Sorry, I have never heard of that Mass.

Per GIRM 339 It belongs to the various regional Bishops’ Conferences to decide on the wearing of the alb by the various ministers

GIRM 339. In the dioceses of the United States of America, acolytes, altar servers, lectors, and other lay ministers may wear the alb or other suitable vesture or other appropriate and dignified clothing.

Progressive solemnity.

Where you probably wouldn’t vest your readers and cantor for a weekday Mass you might have them wear the alb on Sundays or for all major feast days or only for the Easter Vigil.

Easy now Hotchkiss, We all assume everyone knows the acronyms that we toss about. I had to give it “a think” myself. :blush: OF? OF? OF? … OHHhhh!:thumbsup:

… or was it the “extremely formal” part. I had trouble with that too. :shrug:

I can’t quote a regulation. Personally I don’t like the idea of laypeople wearing albs. It blurs the distinction between laity and clergy. There’s no need for it.

[quote="JimG, post:8, topic:179180"]
I can't quote a regulation. Personally I don't like the idea of laypeople wearing albs. It blurs the distinction between laity and clergy. There's no need for it.

[/quote]

But the alb is not a clerical garment, it's a baptismal garment. That is what we put on any person who is baptized past infancy (chronological infancy, not Church infancy).

Just came across this.

"Currently, with Vatican approval, a Conference of Bishops can decide to make vestments optional for lectors (2002 General Instruction of the Roman Missal, 339). For example in 2003 approval was given for the USA GIRM: “339. In the dioceses of the United States of America … lectors, and other lay ministers may wear the alb or other suitable vesture or other appropriate and dignified clothing.”

But we don’t all wear baptismal garments to church, unless we’re being baptized.

Ya know Jim, I’m there with you on the need, but there are cases where I’ve see the suitability of the garments worn by the lector, cantor, et al. in dire need. Many instances come to mind when a young lass was dressed in what would be kindly referred to as “party” clothing. (lent itself more to attracting guys than proclaiming the Word) Not that I’m not appreciative of a fine looking lass in a nice outfit,:thumbsup: but it’s was definitely tough to focus on what was being read. :blush:

[quote="JimG, post:8, topic:179180"]
I can't quote a regulation. Personally I don't like the idea of laypeople wearing albs. It blurs the distinction between laity and clergy. There's no need for it.

[/quote]

I think that is the plan of modernists. Once the lines of laity/clergy are erased they will move to get rid of the priesthood. Satan is at work just as our Holy Mother Mary at Fatima warned us about.

The alb is white as a symbol of our baptism and of a reminder as our role of priest, prophet and servant king. There is no prohibition against lay ministers wearing them for liturgical ceremonies.

By the way, every mass is a special mass, Jesus is there. That's why it's special. not the form.

Peace,
FAB

Admittedly, there may be times when a lay reader is in need of a cover up. That seems a matter of education in proper church attire. If I recall correctly, the alb is designated as the common garment for both ordained and instituted ministries. There are very few instituted ministries in the parishes. Even altar servers are appointed, not instituted. (If they were instituted as acolytes, again IIRC, they would all have to be male.)

[quote="JimG, post:15, topic:179180"]
Admittedly, there may be times when a lay reader is in need of a cover up. That seems a matter of education in proper church attire. If I recall correctly, the alb is designated as the common garment for both ordained and instituted ministries. There are very few instituted ministries in the parishes. Even altar servers are appointed, not instituted. (If they were instituted as acolytes, again IIRC, they would all have to be male.)

[/quote]

Again, Rome leaves the decision of whether or not to have ministers wear the alb up to the local conferences of bishops and the USCCB has said "Yes, albs may be worn by all lay ministers" and they list 'lay ministers' after acolytes, lectors and altar servers.

[quote="Phemie, post:16, topic:179180"]
Again, Rome leaves the decision of whether or not to have ministers wear the alb up to the local conferences of bishops and the USCCB has said "Yes, albs may be worn by all lay ministers" and they list 'lay ministers' after acolytes, lectors and altar servers.

[/quote]

Oh, I agree that they are allowed. I just don't see the need. I won't be wearing one in any case! But no worries there; there are no parishes in my diocese where lay readers wear an alb.

My own personal feeling is that ANYONE with a liturgical function, including readers, cantors, and EMHCs, should be wearing albs for the service.

And I thought that I had to go and get a fishing pole to catch a red herring. Thanks you for saving my time.

[quote="Phemie, post:5, topic:179180"]
Per GIRM 339 It belongs to the various regional Bishops' Conferences to decide on the wearing of the alb by the various ministers

[/quote]

Thank you, that says it all...

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.