Reading a missal

I have been in the church for several years now and still can’t read a missal or find the right songs by number that they post up front. I’ve gotten used to the new “And with your spirit” now. Any advice or reading the missal correctly?

Bill

Does your missal have ribbons?

Spend some time before actually going to Mass putting one ribbon at the beginning of the Penitential Rite (put the ribbon where “I confess to almighty God…” starts, rather than at the very beginning because you will almost certainly never need any of the bits written before this) in your “Order of Mass” section. Place your second ribbon in the page for this Sunday’s readings. You can just flip between these two places.

Ignore the prefaces and solemn blessings and prayers over the people: just listen to those bits rather than trying to flip to the right one and back again.

If that is still too much, then get just an ‘Order of Mass’, or print off the bits you haven’t learnt by heart yet, and concentrate on listening without reading along for the parts that change.

As for the hymns, try spending 5 minutes before Mass starts looking them up (there’s only four, surely?) and stick the bulletin and whatever sheets you’re given into those pages.

If you’re having trouble working out which bits in the Order of Mass you can skip, try going through your missal while comparing it to this electronic version: universalis.com/static/mass/orderofmass.htm
That might help you see which bits go together and which bits are optional.

(Or, if you have an iphone, you could get the free Universalis app which now comes not only with an Order of Mass, and the readings for the day, it also has an option to show you the Order of Mass with all the readings and prayers put in their right places, like a personalised missal for that day. That might help, as long as you make sure to check the days readings before Mass, as the free app only downloads today and the two days either side)

No my missal doesn’t have ribbons. What does the V mean? I know R means response.

Bill

versicle.

I’m surprised anyone would make a missal without ribbons, but then people do odd things all the time! Your life will be much easier if you either get a couple of bookmarks, or glue a couple of ribbons to the top of the spine. There’s no point trying to find the right places during Mass itself, every time. You mark the Order of Mass, and today’s readings, as those are the two places you need.

[quote=TypesAndShadows] I’m surprised anyone would make a missal without ribbons, but then people do odd things all the time! Your life will be much easier if you either get a couple of bookmarks, or glue a couple of ribbons to the top of the spine. There’s no point trying to find the right places during Mass itself, every time. You mark the Order of Mass, and today’s readings, as those are the two places you need.
[/quote]

Sounds like the OP is using the missal in the pew.

Posted from Catholic.com App for Android

Oh, I forgot some places do that. Sounds like they’d need to get to Mass a good few minues early, then, and stick bookmarks/paper in the places they’ll need.

I am. And they are two books. A thicker one all songs. And a thinner one with the sundays and weekdays reading. They are in a plastic binding.

Bill

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.