Reading about zodiac sign--mortal or venial sin?

So I’m not sure if I committed a mortal or venial sin. Here’s a little background on the situation. At work the other day a couple of my coworkers thought it would be interesting to look up zodiac signs to see if they matched their personalities. Work was a little slow that day and so when it was brought up, I thought it might pass the time if I looked mine up so I did and I glanced at it a couple minutes before stopping. I do not actually believe zodiac signs carry any legitimate authority or have an effect at all. A few minutes later the girl who was reading them aloud asked me what my sign was, looked it up, and began reading it aloud to me. She would ask me things along the way about if I thought such or such trait fit me and I responded when asked and this continued for a while. The problem is that I didn’t realize at the time this was happening that this was in fact sinful. It was only a couple days later when I was looking through an examination of conscience to try and clear up another issue I was unsure of that I came across that reading horoscopes and zodiacs is indeed sinful. However, I had seen this listed on an examination before this incident so I did know it was sinful at one time, I just didn’t recall it in the moment.

So did I commit a mortal sin? :confused: I really hope not since this seems like something so silly but it has really been bothering me ever since I remembered that it was sinful last night and I can’t stop thinking about it. Please help.

So I’m not sure if I committed a mortal or venial sin. Here’s a little background on the situation. At work the other day a couple of my coworkers thought it would be interesting to look up zodiac signs to see if they matched their personalities. Work was a little slow that day and so when it was brought up, I thought it might pass the time if I looked mine up so I did and I glanced at it a couple minutes before stopping. I do not actually believe zodiac signs carry any legitimate authority or have an effect at all. A few minutes later the girl who was reading them aloud asked me what my sign was, looked it up, and began reading it aloud to me. She would ask me things along the way about if I thought such or such trait fit me and I responded when asked and this continued for a while. The problem is that I didn’t realize at the time this was happening that this was in fact sinful. It was only a couple days later when I was looking through an examination of conscience to try and clear up another issue I was unsure of that I came across that reading horoscopes and zodiacs is indeed sinful. However, I had seen this listed on an examination before this incident so I did know it was sinful at one time, I just didn’t recall it in the moment.

So did I commit a mortal sin? I really hope not since this seems like something so silly but it has really been bothering me ever since I remembered that it was sinful last night and I can’t stop thinking about it. Please help.

Did you commit a mortal sin? You answered your own question when you stated, “The problem is that I didn’t realize at the time this was happening that this was in fact sinful.” So, in my opinion, you did not commit a mortal sin.

CCC 1857: For a sin to be mortal, three conditions must together be met: “Mortal sin is sin whose object is grave matter and which is also committed with full knowledge and deliberate consent.”

As always, I would mention this to your priest at your next confession and tell him what you stated here.

Wouldn’t it be fair to say that, at the very worst, you were looking at this stuff as a form of entertainment?

Horoscopes and astrology and the like are gravely offensive when we, in all sincerity, pursue them as a form of divination, studying them and actually aligning our lives to what we “learn.”

As Fr. William Saunders once wrote:

Please note that just reading a horoscope in the newspaper or the message inside the fortune cookie, and having a laugh is not a mortal sin; however, taking such a horoscope seriously or paying for some astrologers advice is.

I heard of a college professor who broke up his class into different groups, one for each sign of the zodiac. He then gave each group a slip of paper with their horoscope for the day and asked how well it fit. They all thought it fit them quite well.

But here’s the kicker: he gave the exact same horoscope to all the groups. :smiley:

If you really want to have fun with how absurd horoscopes are, give a listen to Weird Al:youtube.com/watch?v=ejQ7IPDPOIw

No OP you did not commit a mortal sin. First as someone pointed out you didn’t even know that it was a sin in the first place Second, it is only considered a sin if you truly believe in horoscopes and try to trust your life to them instead of trusting God.

This reminded me me so much of my youth group in which we constantly did things to annoy the director. One of them was to loudly discuss our horoscopes for the day when we knew he was within earshot and watch him get exasperated with us :D:D
'I have told you children , horoscopes are not of God! " LOL

Aaah I miss that group, now we are all grown up!

So yeah OP you can be at peace.

It is belief, remember the big deal is to use these thing outside or above God. Thinking the astrologer has told you a prophesy beyond the will of God etc… reading it tongue and cheek is not sinful unless you have a penchant for falling for such things.

So does it make no difference that at some time prior to this incident I was aware that this is sinful? I think that is the main issue for me, but I truly can’t remember it crossing my mind at the time any of this occurred–just remembering it a couple days later. Is forgetting that something is sinful the same as never knowing it is sinful at the time the act is committed, regardless of prior knowledge?

No, you are not sinning here. Focus on any real sins you have issues with and leave this be. Go forth to glorify God :slight_smile:

Yes, it makes no difference that you “knew” before, but forgot. Same as if someone lost their memory (temporarily or permanently). You were not conscious of doing something wrong at the time.

You did not have full knowledge at the time, so you did not commit mortal sin. All three conditions for mortal sin were not met (and in addition, it doesn’t appear to be grave matter, either, as you said you do not believe zodiac signs have any power or effect).

Reading a horoscope just for entertainment is generally not considered sinful, though it’s not really encouraged, either.

Hey guys. I have a relative who has looked at her daily horoscope for the past few years. As a background, most of my family is rather lukewarm, but I think she is not lukewarm. Now, I read some of the posts at the beginning, and I saw someone say that if it is for entertainment and not actually wanting too look into the future kind of thing, it is not sinful. I guess I am wondering how to bring this up to her; perhaps ask if she actually believes in it or just finds it entertaining? And, if it is the former, how do I explain why she should stop looking at them? Thanks!

I’d ask her. If she actually, truly believes that a newspaper astrology column can foretell her future, then you’ve got more than the problem of whether not it’s a sin. :wink:

Could it be that it’s just a part of her daily routine? Like reading the comics, the Jumble, the crossword puzzle, the bridge column? If she says, “I can’t go to Mass tomorrow because my horoscope says I need to stay home,” then that’s a problem. If she breaks a coffee cup and says, “My horoscope said I’d have bad luck today!” that is, in my opinion, simply folly and not worth worrying about.

If you read your Daily Horoscope in the newspaper and do so just for amusement and entertainment purposes, I’d say no sin - venial or mortal - has been committed.

If you take it seriously and try to guide your life by it (or worse, let it guide YOU!) that’s different. Then you should talk to a priest.

My :twocents:

My theory is “when in doubt-do without”.

Using a ouji board for entertainment can be dangerous even if you don’t believe it., so is going to a fortune teller, having tarot read and so on and everything else like this…So why is reading a horoscope for fun any different?
:shrug:

It’s a matter of degree. I’ve never heard of someone being worried about rolling dice to play Monopoly, or dealing cards to play bridge, or spinning a spinner to play Twister. The newspaper horoscope isn’t much less random than those are.

If you were to play “Life” and spin the spinner and truly believe that you will get married if your car lands on the “Get Married” space, then maybe someone could make the case that you’re being unduly influenced by the game, or someone could make the claim that “forces” are influencing the spinner…I better stop now or someone will start to believe that “Life” is a sinful game. :eek:

Zodiac sign approves a concept of rule. However, our central rule is the Gospel. Be wary of these.

No I disagree with this analogy… Ouji board is also a game marketed asfun --what u are implying is that u can play this too if you don’t believe it. So no answer here, but thanks for trying.

You must have missed my statement that’s it’s a matter of degree. Don’t feel bad. You’ll have other chances.

So it’s occult lite? Is there such a thing?:smiley:

Op: The church fobids one from believing horoscopes and discourages one from reading it for fun. So it’s not a sin to just read them.
The reason it is discouraged, is that even if you are glancing at the horoscope for entertainment, it may become a habit. A person may be in a vulnerable position one day and at a weak moment refer to what was once used for entertainment has now become something true for them. And now this has led to sin.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.