Reading and listening to Protestant Sermons and commentaries against 1st Commandment?

I heard that attending Protestant services is a sin against the 1st Commandment. I’ve never attended a Protestant service but I have been reading and listening to both Protestant Sermons online as well as Protestant commentaries on the Bible. Should I confess these things the next time I go to confession? I’ve been careful to avoid things contrary to Catholic doctrine and I’ve also heard that the Venerable Archbishop Fulton J. Sheen used a Protestant (Methodist if I remember correctly) commentary of scripture for his teachings. Should I confess them and get rid of them?

It can be. It isn’t always.

**What would drive you to use non-Catholic bible commentaries when Catholic materials are readily available? **

You think you are avoiding things contrary to Catholic doctrine, but that one must know the error to spot it. You might not in all cases. And that seems a rather convoluted way of doing things instead of just reading solid, Catholic material in the first place. it sounds quite disingenuous to me.

I suggest you mention it to your priest and your reasoning behind why you would seek out these materials… He can guide you to better options.

There is no need to confess this, but you should avoid listening to Protestant sermons and reading Protestant Bible commentaries. This exposes you to heresy when there is no need to do so. There are plenty of Catholic sermons (e.g. sensum fidelium on YouTube) and Bible commentaries (e.g. Haydock Bible) that you can learn from. It’s a sin to read anti-Catholic books, but it would be a venial sin.

Someone should have told Cardinal Wojtyla during the Conclave that elected him (he was reading the Communist Manifesto).

Someone also should have told St. Thomas to stop reading all that Muslim stuff. (Oh wait, they did, everyone freaked out and there was a big official condemnation of him before his body had time to get cold in the ground. Then people realized that truth is truth is truth, there can be good motives for reading these things, etc.)

As long as you are careful enough to see what is good and true, then it’s fine. Some Protestant commentaries (especially Berkely’s) are wonderful and much better than certain recent “Catholic” ones that are infected with Modernism.

Our Lady, Exterminatrix of Heresy, pray for us!

Not an issue (IMO), just remember their theological viewpoint will be different (usually not as full or advanced) than most Catholic versions. It is a good idea though as it allows a more full understanding of what other faiths teach and would allow you to interact with people of those Faith’s more intelligently.

Pax

Why use false protestant interpretations when there is solid Catholic commentary available.

catholiccommentaryonsacredscripture.com/

And someone should have told Saint Paul that all those Greek and Cretan poets were leading him “down South” where he would get the bastinado from Old Scratch. :slight_smile:

As long as you are careful enough to see what is good and true, then it’s fine. Some Protestant commentaries (especially Berkely’s) are wonderful and much better than certain recent “Catholic” ones that are infected with Modernism.

Our Lady, Exterminatrix of Heresy, pray for us!

True. For example, Keil and Delitzsch’s Old Testament Commentary is an excellent resource. I wish “Catholic” commentaries would stick to Tradition and the Church Fathers (who lived much closer to the time of the Scriptures than, say, Raymond Brown) to avoid scandalizing the doubtful. :frowning:

What? I thought we worshiped the same God and God-man! Maybe I should refer to God as “my Father and Protestant God” in prayer.

Okay, so what do you think Catholic apologists read to find out what they’re up against? Are apologists in a constant state of mortal sin?

This. :thumbsup:

If this troubles your faith, you have the obligation to stop. I recall beginning to read a Protestant commentary on John that I heard well-recommended, and found him quickly assailing Catholic veneration of the Virgin Mary. I no longer have that book.
All the same, I admire many Protestants and appreciate Barclay’s commentaries on Scripture, which Bishop Sheen for his part much appreciated.
But I don’t think you should get all your spiritual nourishment from another religion (not that I am saying that you do), which would seem out of place.
I don’t think this a matter for confession, unless such sermons are doing you spiritual harm. You could always ask the priest about this matter the next time you go to confession.

:thumbsup:

It can be a sin, especially if you have full knowledge that what they will say is heretical. I used to be Church of England, but now refuse to enter a Protestant “church” because I know what they teach.

As for commentaries, the Haydock Commentary quotes from some good Protestants, but I would be careful. I only read Protestant works to refute them, and that is all. Regarding sermons, you should stop, unless you wish to refute what they say. For example, I heard a sermon online by a Baptist “minister” who said that Christians don’t need to observe the Ten Commandments anymore because somehow Jesus got rid of them!

If you wish to confess, please do. It won’t hurt. The Church has the fullest and clearest Teaching, so there is no need to turn elsewhere. Stay with the Church Fathers, Councils etc.

God bless.

As an ex-Church of England, I am not so sure. For example:

The Biblical Jesus said: “This is My Body” - but the Protestant Jesus said “This is not my body”.

The Biblical Jesus said: “Then will He render to every man according to his works” - but the Protestant Jesus said “Faith alone”.

The Biblical Jesus said: “Baptise in the Name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Ghost” and also “he that believeth and is baptised shall be saved” - the Protestant Jesus said “Faith alone” etc, etc.

The more I compare the two, the more I am convinced that the Jesus that Protestantism believes in is not the Biblical Jesus. Individual Protestants may have a sincere faith in the Biblical Jesus, but that’s about it.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.