Reading at Confirmation

Quick question: when I was confirmed in April I was asked to read the First Reading at the Mass. A friend of mine told me that there was some part of the paperwork that said that that wasn’t allowed. He mentioned something about the Chancery, as well. I just wanted to know if that is true or not.
Thank you!
Pax

The GIRM has this to say:

1. In the absence of an instituted lector, other lay people may be deputed to proclaim the readings from Sacred Scripture, people who are truly suited to carrying out this function and carefully prepared, so that by their hearing the readings from the sacred texts the faithful may conceive in their hearts a sweet and living affection for Sacred Scripture.[85]

I wouldn’t worry about it.

There’s nothing inherently wrong with it.

Since your friend mentioned the Chancery though, it may be some local, Diocesan policy. However, I’ve never heard of any policy that would outlaw it.

Regardless, if you truly did not know, you can’t be held liable.

Be at peace, it's no big deal
Mary.

It's possible that your diocese has a policy that only those who are confirmed may be readers. If so, you slipped through the cracks but what's done is done so don't worry about it.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.