Reading Books on Exorcism and Demons

I have a few books that I have accumulated on the subject of Exorcism and Demons. The ususal books, “Hostage to the Devil”, “An Exorcist Tells His Story”, and “The Dark Sacrament”. I do not consider myself to be overly into this stuff, but I have always been interested in learning about it and hearing some of the stories. I have also seen the major movies about exorcism. I saw “The Exorcist” before I was Catholic, and have since seen “The Exorcism of Emily Rose”.

Here’s the problem. Each time I decide to read one of the books, I find myself having some difficulties sleeping. After watching the Emily Rose movie, I woke up for several nights at the same time she did in the movie. I really don’t think this is being caused by anything other than my own mind playing tricks on me. After a time, it stopped and everything was fine. Now, I am reading “The Dark Sacrament”. Guess what, I am waking up again around 3am each night. Again, I honestly feel this is just my own mind playing tricks on me.

As I said above, I really don’t feel like I am overly focused on this subject, and I’m certainly not obsessed. Other than not reading these books, does anyone have any thoughts on this or even some suggestions?

Hi

well, since it’s not something you need to be pursuing…but is simple curiosity, or maybe entrapment given what you’re describing - get out of it and leave it alone. Focus your thoughts on drawing nearer to Christ and leave all that other stuff alone.

Peace

John

Hello,

Speaking as a person with a highly overactive subconcious and imagination, a lover of horror movies, and with an interest in exorcism and demons too (I’ve read some of the books you mentioned), I just don’t read them, or watch horror movies right before bed.

I give myself about an hours worth of space, in which I focus on something else. It used to be half an hour, but after the third nightmare where a flying head came out of my closet, I extended it to an hour. :smiley:

-Amber

How does this sound?

“Whatever things are pure, whatever things are just, whatever things are noble, whatever things are lovely–if there is anything virtuous or anything praiseworthy, think on THESE things, and the God of peace will be with you.” Phillipians 4.

C.S. Lewis puts it this way:

***“There are two equal and opposite errors into which our race can fall about demons. One is to disbelieve in their existence. The other is to believe and to feel an excessive and unhealthy interest in them.” ***

If your reading is causing you to have trouble sleeping, then I’d say it’s crossed the line into “excessive and unhealthy interest.”

Of the three books I mentioned, I have read the first section of one of them. I’d say that is far from excessive. I’d liken this to what happens to my 9 year old daughter if she watches a Goosebumps show in TV. She ends up in our bed sometime in the middle of the night.

Are you saying I shouldn’t read the books, or that I should meditate on this scripture before going to bed at night?

This is good enough for you to stop reading them. I am not saying that it does no good to you; it is quite contrary. Having this acknowledge of evnils, you shoul turn this into something positive and focus on growing in virtues and closer to God – find a good book about some saints and their teachings on spirituality. :slight_smile:

Whichever time you wake up after having read a certain book, and when you can’t fall back to sleep, cleanse your mind by either praying and meditating the Rosary or maybe the Mercy prayers.

For a while I was waking up often at or around 3 am and could not fall back to sleep. I read somewhere that between 12 midnight and 6 am the occult world is busy with their practices. So, any time I awake at night and cannot fall back to sleep, I use the time to say those powerful prayers. Then I go back to bed and have no trouble finishing the night with some sound sleep.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.