Reading Mass Scriptures as Community

Many thanks to Jochoa for posting in a separate thread this link: www.textweek.com to help in finding Sunday readings. I was delighted to see that our Catholic readings are so closely shared by Lutherans, Methodists, and Episcopalians. I think it is wonderful that a growing community is sharing these readings. Also listed is RCL–can anyone please explain what that refers to? And I wonder if perhaps there may be additional groups who generally follow the readings but were not listed here?

I don’t think that the Methodists, Lutherans and Episcopalians are part of any growing community which shares the Lectionary of the Catholic Church.

I think rather, that they are the last group of Protestants who have not abandoned liturgical worship altogether. They retained liturgical worship when they de-nominated themselves from the Catholic Church as part of the Protestant reformation. The Lectionary and Church calendar are part of the liturgical worship which they retained.

In short, they have not grown into the Lectionary but have simply not yet abandoned it like so many other modern Churches have. They have simply strayed less from Christian worship as it has been practiced for 2000 years.

-Tim-

RCL refers to the Revised Common Lectionary. The vast majority of the readings follow those in the Catholic Lectionary, although there are a few differences here and there as well as an alternative set of continuous rather than intertextual Old Testament readings.

Other denominations were churches might follow the RCL include the UCC. This is a growing shift overall.

:thumbsup:

In fact here’s a link to the United Methodist website showing the readings for the RCL…
gbod.org/lead-your-church/revised-common-lectionary2013-2014

Thanks to all for comments–I’m trying to be hopeful and optimistic.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.