Reading OT in chronological order

I was looking at one of my other threads. I have a question about what the user would recommend for reading the bible.

He would recommend starting with Gospels and read the entire NT and than read the OT but read the OT in chronological order and than read Gospels again. What chronological order is he talking about to read the OT? I am assuming he does not mean the order the bible has the OT books listed? If he does not mean that than what order is he referring too?

Please see my thread here: forums.catholic.com/showthread.php?t=734256&page=2 I am asking about post #20.

Here is part of his reply I am asking about but it is not his whole reply I am copying in this thread.

I have read the scriptures many times. I have read them many ways. If I were just doing this for the first time I would start with the Gospels and then the rest of the New Testament and then the Old Testament but I would read the old Chronologically. Then I would read the Gospels AGAIN because the Old Testament and Covenant will be extremely evident in the Gospels and only then can you truly understand who Jesus is.

For the OT The book of Job would be after the first 6 chapters of Genesis I think. After that it’s mostly in order with a few jumps.

Most bible apps will automatically sort it if you pick a chronological reading plan.

It may be helpful to read the NT chronologically too.

Here is it all laid out on printable pages. Courtesy of the archdiocese of Boston.

oneyearbibleonline.com/readingplan/oneyearchronologicalbiblereadingplan.pdf

EDIT: I think this link is actually better. It has less jumping while maintains chronology and included deuterocanonicals and links to pertinent catechism references for each reading.

forums.catholic.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=9628&d=1294354353

Thank you so much!

I noticed on your first link it starts with Genesis 1:1-3:24, but what does 1:1-3:24 means, and what does it represent to read? I tried searching Google first before asking on here and I did not see my answers.

Wow…thank you! That is so useful!! :D:thumbsup:

It means read from Genesis chapter 1 verse 1 to Genesis chapter 3 verse 24

Thank you, Jon!

I’ve heard about EWTN/Jeff Cavens Adventure Bible series that is accompanied by a timeline that indicates the chronology of the OT. But, he was a protestant minister, and I wonder if his inspiration for this is something he learned in his protestant ministry school.

My relatives, for example, gave me a copy of the Reese Chronological Bible (based on the King James Version) where not only books are put into a supposed chronological order, but it goes deeper and organizes down to the level of verses. So far, this has been too far-fetched for me to consider. Maybe if I were to live 500 years, I might get around to this.

Long story short: this topic would be the basis for a modification of a study bible, to indicate where the links are between the books, as far as the chronology goes. Of course, that’s what the cross references are for, so I’m saying we need good cross-references.

It’s not just my opinion, to put it one way, to study the Bible book by book. Notice I said study and I repeat that, “study.” Study would imply to me to trace out some of those footnotes and cross-references, especially between the OT and the NT.

More than 10 years ago, Card. Ratzinger said that *the NT doesn’t make sense without the OT. * (The Hebrew People and their Scripture in the Christian Bible, preface to the document issued by the Pontifical Biblical Commission)

see ewtn.com/library/CURIA/PBCJWSCR.HTM

“Reading” the Bible (in contrast to studying it) I cheat and read the short books first. That is the quickest way to check off the reading list.

Which one of those links you posted would be the most accurate in being in chronology order?

I honestly am not sure. They both should be close.

I’ve never seen it broken up like the first link.

I have always seen it the way the second link lists it.

Maybe someone else can help you more but I lean toward the second one.

Thank you so much! I’ll go with the second one and I’ll accept that suggestion.

EWTN has on their site for your listening the Jeff Cavins bible time line along with Scott Hahn. I listened to it and found it to be wonderful. I would not worry about these 2 men being Protestant before they became Catholic.

Jeff Cavins tells of the 14 books that should be read that will give you the chronological order of the bible. I found it interesting. I read along with the tapes.
Look in the Library/audio It is called Our Fathers Plan. Or Salvation History
The 14 books are:
Genesis, Exodus,Numbers, Joshua, Judges, 1Samuel, 2Samuel, 1Kings, 2Kings, Exra, Nehemiah, 1Maccabees, Luke, Acts.

I have the Douay-Rheims Version and its paperback, and there are 4 books to Kings, but with both of those links and other links in Google and in chronology order there are 2 books of Kings. I am confused why I have 4 books to Kings and on those links it puts only 2 books to Kings in order?

In your Bible

1 Kings= 1 Samuel on reading list
2 Kings = 2 Samuel on reading list
3 Kings= 1 kings on reading list
4 kings= 2 kings on reading list

You may also have:

1 Esdras= Ezra
2 Esdras= Nehemiah

1Paraleipomena= 1 Chronicles
2 Paraleipomena= 2 Chronicles

Great. I did not know this. Thank you very much again and again!!! :slight_smile:

You sure your up for reading the whole thing in the Duoay Rheims ??:eek:

I have a hard time with that translation style!!

Would the Knox translation be better?

It is all up to the individual.

I am in the USA and our Bishops use the New American Bible

I also have the Revised Standard Catholic Edition.

Both are more modern English

I’m not that familiar with the Knox translation but I just googled it and the few passages I read seemed more modern English.

So again, it’s personal preference! Just find a version that you can easily understand and enjoy so you don’t burn out.

I am in the USA as well. I am not sure since the only translation I have is the Douay-Rheims. I am going to save up and buy the Baronius Press Knox translation. Would you prefer buying it directly from the Baronius Press website? Or would you prefer buying it from Amazon?

I imagine amazon would have the best deal.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.