Reading Recommendation For Early Church Fathers For A Non-Catholic

What books would you recommend to someone who is not Catholic but wants to learn about the early church fathers? Thanks

amazon.com/Getting-Know-Church-Fathers-Introduction/dp/1587431963/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1400628728&sr=8-1&keywords=Evangelicals+and+the+Church+Fathers

I have yet to read it, though I plan to. This has received a lot of positive reviews from both Catholics and non-Catholics alike.

The Fathers Know Best- Akin

The Letters of St Ignatius of Antioch
The Works of St Justin Martyr

The Fathers by Joseph Cardinal Ratzinger.

Volume 1

Volume 2

You know, as a starting place, one might try this:

ccel.org/

Jon

A good place to start is with the actual letters written by St. Ignatius of Antioch. Here’s a link to them; they are very easy to read and very informative.

silouanthompson.net/library/early-church/ignatius/

“Confessions” by Saint Augustine.

First of all, the way you say that is funny to me, as if the Early Church Fathers are not our Early Church Fathers, too.

I don’t know if you’re aware of this or not, but we study the ECFs, too.

Anyway, in answer to your question, Monergism.com has some excellent resources.

The way you responded is funny to me, as if you actually responded to the OP. The OP asked for book recommendations on the ECFs, and you took this as an opportunity to (1) express your resentment by the suggestion implied in his/her question, and (2) point someone to a website that offers opinions from a Reformed perspective.

I know, I don’t think the OP was looking to read someone’s opinions, but the words themselves, in context, to form his own opinions.

I have no idea what you’re talking about. I quoted and responded to Morelli, not you.

Second, yes. I pointed them to a Reformed site. The request was for information about the ECFs for a non-Catholic.

Third, history is history. There is not “Reformed history” and “Catholic history”.

I don’t know where you got this idea, but this isn’t true at all.

In fact, if you go on iTunes, Westminster Theological Seminary, a noted Reformed seminary, has some excellent church history resources that go back to the beginning.

In addition, one of my favorite theologians, R.C. Sproul, a noted Reformed theologian, has an excellent series on the ECFs on his *Renewing Your Mind *podcast.

This simple graphic might aid you in deciding some of the early fathers to read.

[ATTACH]20151[/ATTACH]

Friend - it makes no difference to me if you were quoting/responding to the OP - I took the liberty to address your ridiculous response. Secondly, you might want to go to the “about” section of the site, and then contact the webmaster and let him/her know that there is no “reformed perspective.” And third, please go back and read the OP – who asked for book recommendations not websites that spew falsehoods on “reformed perspectives.” Are we clear, friend?

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.