Reading recommendations and/or advice for the chapel veil

Hi everyone,

I’ve ordered two chapel veils after thinking about veiling for almost a year now. I feel “called” to wear one, although I know some people take issue with phrasing it this way.

My veils take at least three weeks to make, so in the meantime, can anyone recommend deeper reading, such as books or essays, on the subject? After reading everything I can find on the internet so far on the practice, theological basis, and history of chapel veils, I am still hungry for more information. If you don’t know of any books specifically on veiling, maybe some books that would be good for a 29-year-old woman seeking to become more traditional?

I’ll be among the handful of women who veil at my theologically orthodox yet still casually dressed parish, so any advice on being one of the few and not feeling like I’m sticking out like a sore thumb would also be much appreciated :slight_smile:

Thanks much!

I too would like to hear more information on this. When head coverings were required for women, they did not necessarily need to be veils. Hats were often worn. I’m interested in knowing why veils seem so necessary to some.

It is my understanding (and I may be wrong) that the genesis of veils comes from European cultural practices, particularly in Spain.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mantilla

Dear SubjectVerb,

Having also read lots of stuff online, but being raised in a large Catholic family where this has just always been the practice, even when I was in a protestant church, I wore a hankerchief on my head. As for the genesis of this practice…it is older than something started in Spain…look to Mother Mary. Women have just always veiled themselves :slight_smile:

free pattern that I use, ponderedinmyheart.typepad.com/pondered_in_my_heart/2010/10/how-to-make-a-lace-chapel-veil.html

I have often wondered this also.

Most of my family & friends who were around when woman had to cover their heads never wore veils, they wore hats. Even the young girls. The little chapel veil became popular among the young woman who went to Catholic schools in the 40’s 50’s & 60’s because they usually came with the school uniform.

This whole concept of “veiling” (and even creating a word for it) is certainly not ‘traditional’ in the true sense of the word.

FWIW, the mantilla style veil that seems to be very popular among the young women I know is copied from what Jackie Kennedy wore when she had a audience w/ John XXIII in the 1960’s. More often than not, unless it was an older Italian or Hispanic woman, women wore hats.

I wear headcovering for Mass and other things like Confession, etc. I prefer dark color ones as they tend to not to stand out as much as light colors as I attend OF parishes more often as EF Mass offerings require at least 30 miles of driving 1 one way. I’ve been doing this for about 3 years now and not concerned about others saying or thinking uncharitable things.

Other types of coverings I have used besides the mantilla: chapel cap, chapel veil, scarves, wide headbands, small hats, small fascinators that have some type of netting or tulle.

An excellent booklet on this subject is called, The Chapel Veil, Symbol of the Spouse of Christ. It is by Elizabeth Black and Emily Griswold and published in 2005 by Requiem Press. My copy cost $3.25. It is currently available on Amazon.com for the same price.

Thanks, Casilda, fellow revert :smiley: If and when I become more crafty with a sewing machine (it is a goal of mine), your link will really help me out :slight_smile:

I wanted to clarify for others in the thread my decision to wear a lace veil in particular: I understand that this style is, in a way, a new phenomenon, and that women often wore hats, kerchiefs or other head coverings in the past. The fact that the mantilla style is popular now, I think, is in itself a powerful part of church renewal particular to our time.

My call to veil stems from my ever-strengthening belief in the True Presence, which as a poorly catechized child of the 80s, I never actually understood or believed until recently. I want to wear the most beautiful covering for the Lord, and I personally find that mantillas and lace chapel veils are the most beautiful forms of covering your head.

I have been covering my head for at least the past 10 yrs, if not a bit longer. I wear hats, not veils.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.