Reading recommendations?

Hi all! I’m getting married in a few weeks and some people have been asking what to get as a gift. We really don’t need anything so we’ve been telling people just get whatever they want to get. Some people have been quite persistent so I’ve decided to ask for some books that would be good for newlyweds just so I have something to tell them. Any suggestions?

a good all purpose cookbook
better homes and gardens (the one in a loose-leaf binder with the plaid cover)
if you are really gourmet, the Joy of Cooking

B&N or amazon giftcards if you are readers

good all purpose home maintenance and repair guides–the readers digest series are good

good financial planning guide

good home medical guide

I hope you have Catholic relatives who will give you a good leatherbound bible.

I treasure a beautifully bound Complete Shakespeare that BIL found in a used bookstore for me. I would kill for a complete oxford edition bound Jane Austen set.

I second the cookbook idea (in addition to the other good ideas very-wise puzzleannie has already listed). If someone wants to get you the Better Homes and Gardens cookbook, and someone else wants to also get you a cookbook, I think the ones that most parishes put out are very useful. I end up getting most of my recipes from them but the BH&G cookbook has helpful things like how to truss your turkey, how to set a proper dinner table with all the different silverware, etc.

If you love reading, you might want to explore the Levenger (which describes itself as offering stuff for serious readers) web site which has a very nice lap desk. They have a very nice quality and reasonably nice fountain pens which you might enjoy. I have really come to trust the wisdom of puzzleannie so take her recommendations seriously

A follow-up book recommendation that I offer my graduating students: Request a good etiquette book. I suggest one of the following: Letitia Baldridge’s New Manners for New Times. She was the chief of staff for Jackie Kennedy during the White House years. Also consider the classic by Emily Post (get the most recent update.) Finally, consider my favorite: Judy Martins’ (aka Miss Manners) Miss Manners’ Guide to Excruciatingly Correct Behavior and her sequel Miss Manners’ Guide to Rearing Perfect Children. These are collections of her best newspaper columns in which she responds with wit, humor and common sense to her readers’ inquiries.

Cookbooks are always good - Taste of Home has two great books. Joy of Cooking is another classic.

Do you have hobbies you share? Cooking? Wine? Tell them the stores or shops you like, or a wine you love.

Maybe just ask them to make a donation in your name to a cause you care about?

How about some lives of the Saints?

Thanks for the replies so far, but I really don’t need cookbooks. I’m pretty well versed in the art of cooking (i.e. throwing all kinds of things in a pot and calling it supper :wink: ) and I’ve already got quite a few cookbooks. I do like the idea of a medical guide though. I think I will ask for one of those definately!

Honestly, I doubt anyone will get us a good copy of the Bible… at least not the Catholic version. My family’s not Catholic and a lot of his family doesn’t practice, but we’ll see. Stranger things have happened I suppose.

We don’t have a lot of hobbies that require books, or even that many hobbies – we’re both still full time students and that doesn’t leave a lot of room for recreational activities.

Thanks for the ideas - I definately got a few of them :thumbsup:

I think ***“For Women Only” ***and "For Men Only" by Shaunti and Jeff Feldhahn make perfect shower, wedding or Christmas gifts for couples who are book lovers. The books explain how the opposite sex often thinks by showing survey results and interviews. This information might save newly-weds some strife if they realize that the other spouse’s reactions to some areas of life are perfectly normal for his/her gender. The authors write from a Protestant-Christian perspective and the surveys interview primarily Christians, but the books are not overtly religious.

I also really like the book "Life Giving Love" by Kimberly Hahn which is a beautiful yet understandable explaination of the Catholic teachings on marriage and sex. Two other really good books on Catholic marriage are "Covenanted Happines" by Cormac Burke and “Marriage: A Path to Sanctity” by Javier Abad and E. Fenoy.

God bless you in your marriage!

Had an idea, you can “register” at amazon.com - they call it a Wish List.

They have way more than just books - might be a good idea.

closed #10

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.