Reading Scripture together as Christians

I would like the opportunity to go through the Epistles of Paul together with others. We will go through an entire book one chapter at a time. You can post whatever comment that you have related to the chapter. But let’s try to keep our comments within the contents of the chapter posted. Let’s please give it a try:

Philippians 1

Greeting

Paul and Timothy, servants of Christ Jesus,

To all the saints in Christ Jesus who are at Philippi, with the overseers and deacons:

Grace to you and peace from God our Father and the Lord Jesus Christ.

Thanksgiving and Prayer

I thank my God in all my remembrance of you, always in every prayer of mine for you all making my prayer with joy, because of your partnership in the gospel from the first day until now. And I am sure of this, that he who began a good work in you will bring it to completion at the day of Jesus Christ. It is right for me to feel this way about you all, because I hold you in my heart, for you are all partakers with me of grace, both in my imprisonment and in the defense and confirmation of the gospel. For God is my witness, how I yearn for you all with the affection of Christ Jesus. And it is my prayer that your love may abound more and more, with knowledge and all discernment, so that you may approve what is excellent, and so be pure and blameless for the day of Christ, filled with the fruit of righteousness that comes through Jesus Christ, to the glory and praise of God.

The Advance of the Gospel

I want you to know, brothers, that what has happened to me has really served to advance the gospel, so that it has become known throughout the whole imperial guard and to all the rest that my imprisonment is for Christ. And most of the brothers, having become confident in the Lord by my imprisonment, are much more bold to speak the word without fear.

Some indeed preach Christ from envy and rivalry, but others from good will. The latter do it out of love, knowing that I am put here for the defense of the gospel. The former proclaim Christ out of rivalry, not sincerely but thinking to afflict me in my imprisonment. What then? Only that in every way, whether in pretense or in truth, Christ is proclaimed, and in that I rejoice.

To Live Is Christ

Yes, and I will rejoice, for I know that through your prayers and the help of the Spirit of Jesus Christ this will turn out for my deliverance, as it is my eager expectation and hope that I will not be at all ashamed, but that with full courage now as always Christ will be honored in my body, whether by life or by death. For to me to live is Christ, and to die is gain. If I am to live in the flesh, that means fruitful labor for me. Yet which I shall choose I cannot tell. I am hard pressed between the two. My desire is to depart and be with Christ, for that is far better. But to remain in the flesh is more necessary on your account. Convinced of this, I know that I will remain and continue with you all, for your progress and joy in the faith, so that in me you may have ample cause to glory in Christ Jesus, because of my coming to you again.

Only let your manner of life be worthy of the gospel of Christ, so that whether I come and see you or am absent, I may hear of you that you are standing firm in one spirit, with one mind striving side by side for the faith of the gospel, and not frightened in anything by your opponents. This is a clear sign to them of their destruction, but of your salvation, and that from God. For it has been granted to you that for the sake of Christ you should not only believe in him but also suffer for his sake, engaged in the same conflict that you saw I had and now hear that I still have.

This is my sincere attempt for Christian unity. We all believe that it is profitable for Christians to mediate on the Word of God together. Please prayfully consider my invitation in the OP.

8 For if Joshua had given them rest, God [2] would not have spoken of another day later on. 9 So then, there remains a Sabbath rest for the people of God, 10 for whoever has entered God’s rest has also rested from his works as God did from his.

11 Let us therefore strive to enter that rest, so that no one may fall by the same sort of disobedience. 12 For the word of God is living and active, sharper than any two-edged sword, piercing to the division of soul and of spirit, of joints and of marrow, and discerning the thoughts and intentions of the heart. 13 And no creature is hidden from his sight, but all are naked and exposed to the eyes of him to whom we must give account. - Hebrews 4

In this chapter I really like:

Some indeed preach Christ from envy and rivalry, but others from good will. The latter do it out of love, knowing that I am put here for the defense of the gospel. The former proclaim Christ out of rivalry, not sincerely but thinking to afflict me in my imprisonment. What then? Only that in every way, whether in pretense or in truth, Christ is proclaimed, and in that I rejoice.

I like it because I think it has application directly to me. When I get all uppity in myself about what I think other Christians should do, say, act, feel, etc. I am chastised by this passage. Instead of being annoyed I should be as St. Paul and rejoice that “Christ is proclaimed” no matter what.

p.s. I like this idea for a thread and hope you have great success :slight_smile:

Thank you for that wonderful post! You made a very significant point and contribution! I look forward to your additional insight because we all know in part. And by the grace of God, He will cause us to grow in Him. I love your signature too. My screen name on another Christian site is Pilgrim. We are all on a Christian pilgrimage!

Reformed,

Are you going to do all of Philippians in this thread (giving folks time to post/discuss) or will you do a diff thread for each chapter?

I would like to do the entire book of Philippians on this thread. When the participants are ready to move to the next chapter, we will move on together. After we are done with Philippians, I’ll let you pick the next Epistle of Paul to go through together (I prefer doing the short books first). :thumbsup:

OK sounds good :thumbsup:

So, what strikes you in his first chapter to the Philippians?

Thanks for asking. I want to work all day and try to post what strikes me in the first chapter this evening or tomorrow morning. I hope others will join us. I will try my best not to look up commentaries. I don’t mind if others use Catholic commentaries in our Bible Study together. However, if some of the Roman Catholics Christians present a challenge, I will consider looking up Reformed commentaries on those verses. I want God the Holy Spirit to help us in our understanding, and not my perceived notions and Reformed bias. I will try my hardest to only comment within the proper context of the chapter and letter. We can refer to the entire letter because chapters and verses are not considered to be inspired. We should do our best to understand a chapter in the proper context of the other chapters surrounding it.

My God bless the rest of your day my friend. :slight_smile:

If you guys don’t join us in reading the Bible together, I will have to conclude that Roman Catholics are very intimidated in reading the Scriptures. Are you afraid that if you read the Bible on your own, you will transform into a Protestant? :slight_smile: :shrug: :wink:

Psalm 119:105

Your word is a lamp to my feet
and a light to my path.

You could more charitably conclude that we are busy so far. All the posts up to now are dated either in the middle of the night or during what will be the workday for many people. Give it time.

Please stop making assumptions about your fellow Christians. Thank you.

Usagi

:hmmm: Where do I begin? :smiley:

God Bless,
Michael

Thanks, I will consider all of us brothers and sisters in Christ on this particular thread. Please see the OP and chapter 1. Feel free to comment on anything in chapter 1. :thumbsup:

I do apologize, but I want to stir all the Christians on this site to consider this particular thread.

http://www.sinus-co.at/RSRB/Site/Bilder/Peace-Zeichen.jpg

This thread is one of peace between those who proclaim Jesus as Lord. Please pray that this thread is one of unity, respect for one another in Christ, and rejoicing togther in what God has done in Christ for us!. May we all be teachable by God the Holy Spirit (including myself). :slight_smile:

I was going to make the first post on this thread and say what a great idea for a thread this is. Well…I will still tell you:

This is a great idea for a thread!

As Usagi stated…a lot of us are very busy…and I would love this as an opportunity to do more Scripture reading…but now I am actually turned off by your comment above.

Despite this fact, I will comment on the quote that Among Strangers did, because I like it also:

Some indeed preach Christ from envy and rivalry, but others from good will. The latter do it out of love, knowing that I am put here for the defense of the gospel. The former proclaim Christ out of rivalry, not sincerely but thinking to afflict me in my imprisonment. What then? Only that in every way, whether in pretense or in truth, Christ is proclaimed, and in that I rejoice

I think this says a lot about our motives for proclaiming the Gospel. I really feel like…and this applies to Christians of every kind…that Christians preach the Gospel just because they want to be right about their denomination as if it is some game they are trying to win.

Instead…I love it when you can sense someone proclaiming the Gospel because they feel what they believe in their heart and they live it. They are not so much concerned with intellectually wrestling someone, but rather they are more concerned with wanting others to be set free by what they believe to be true!

Anyways…that will be my planted seed. I honestly do not know how much I can participate…I spend too much time on this forum as it. But, again, I think this idea of yours is wonderful! We need something like this to help us fellow Christians discus our commonalities and similarities rather than solely focusing on what makes us different.

Thanks again!
Peace be with you!

I think this says a lot about our motives for proclaiming the Gospel. I really feel like…and this applies to Christians of every kind…that Christians preach the Gospel just because they want to be right about their denomination as if it is some game they are trying to win.

Instead…I love it when you can sense someone proclaiming the Gospel because they feel what they believe in their heart and they live it. They are not so much concerned with intellectually wrestling someone, but rather they are more concerned with wanting others to be set free by what they believe to be true!

Anyways…that will be my planted seed. I honestly do not know how much I can participate…I spend too much time on this forum as it. But, again, I think this idea of yours is wonderful! We need something like this to help us fellow Christians discus our commonalities and similarities rather than solely focusing on what makes us different.

Thanks again!
Peace be with you!

Please except my sincere apologies brother. If you guy are willing to participate, I will be very patient and stop posting on all other threads. You guys do need to pray for me too. As of this moment, this is the only thread that I will be reading and posting on. Lord bless you!

I think that many don’t have the time to engage in an intense online Bible study. They work, are already involved in other discussions, etc. I will try to participate.

God Bless,
Michael

Thank you. I don’t want to make this an intense Bible Study. Let’s just read the Scriptures together since we all know in part. This is not a thread for biblical scholars. It is a thread for sinners who have found God through Christ. It is not for the non-Christian. I don’t want to make this a battle ground either, okay? Let the Scriptures direct and guide our conversations together as fellow Christians. I…just like you only know in part. :slight_smile: I am reducing my time of this forum site to this single thread.

Apology accepted!

I think this is sound advice. I see too often people do “thread multitasking” and I do not know how they can remember every conversation or follow every one perfectly, then come back the next day and see that the thread does not even sound like the same thread anymore

I would not say you should abandon other threads completely, unless you really feel drawn to do that, but it is a good idea for us to keep things minimal either way. Imagine trying to have a conversation in a room with 10 different people. It would get hectic!

Honestly…my participation in this will be sporadic, unless God has other plans for me, but I will be following along and at least reading along, if not actively participating. It will be a great little devotional for me!

Again, great idea!
I have to go though…I have a bunch of stuff to do and then I have to get ready for CCD tonight.

Per your request…I will keep you in my prayers!

Peace be with you!

:o This is now the fourth thread I am currently involved in. :smiley:

God Bless,
Michael

LOL!

Well…obviously people do it and it is possible. I, myself, tend to get overwhelmed and my brain starts firing too fast. I am definitely guilty of this same thing. I am just trying to slow it down a bit.

If you can do it! Keep it up!

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.