Reading souls in Confession

Hi, does anyone know if there are priests who can do this today? I know St, Pio of Pietrelcina could.

I knew a priest like this a number of years ago. He was/is a priest of Opus Dei. I'm not sure if he's still living or where he might be now.

One time there was a lady in his confession line who was suffering very much because a loved one had committed suicide and she feared for his salvation. He came out of the confessional, walked up to her, and said, "He's saved." When her turn came, he spoke to her at length about it.

For regular people like me, he would sometimes remind you of something by asking a question. For example, "Is your mother-in-law making you nuts?"

Betsy

[quote="baltobetsy, post:2, topic:178715"]
I knew a priest like this a number of years ago. He was/is a priest of Opus Dei. I'm not sure if he's still living or where he might be now.

One time there was a lady in his confession line who was suffering very much because a loved one had committed suicide and she feared for his salvation. He came out of the confessional, walked up to her, and said, "He's saved." When her turn came, he spoke to her at length about it.

For regular people like me, he would sometimes remind you of something by asking a question. For example, "Is your mother-in-law making you nuts?"

Betsy

[/quote]

Is he still around?

Come to think of it, I'm sure we would have heard if he had died, so I'll assume he is still with us, since I don't recall hearing that. I don't know where he's stationed now.

Betsy

[quote="baltobetsy, post:4, topic:178715"]
Come to think of it, I'm sure we would have heard if he had died, so I'll assume he is still with us, since I don't recall hearing that. I don't know where he's stationed now.

Betsy

[/quote]

Do you remember his name? He would probably be easy for you to look up.

What is reading souls in confession and how can it be valid? :confused:

It is a gift whereby a priest can know the state of a person’s soul, and sometimes specific sins that need to be confessed, before the person confesses them. The penitent still has to acknowledge guilt.

It can be valid because all that is necessary is that a penitent verbally confess their sins and have contrition for them. The fact that the penitent is prompted a little does not invalidate the Sacrament.

I don’t see it as much different from the normal practice when a penitent does not know how to examine their conscience, and the priest assists by questioning the penitent (based on the Commandments, etc.), and the penitent responds “yes” or “no” as to whether he has commited each type of sin.

There are, I'm sure, more than you would imagine who have this gift. Fulton Sheen is another very famous one who had the gift in recent times. These men generally are very humble people. I've known a few who say things that make me think they can see into my soul, which is slightly disturbing, but comforting at the same time? :shrug:

[quote="DihydrogenOxide, post:8, topic:178715"]
There are, I'm sure, more than you would imagine who have this gift. Fulton Sheen is another very famous one who had the gift in recent times. These men generally are very humble people. I've known a few who say things that make me think they can see into my soul, which is slightly disturbing, but comforting at the same time? :shrug:

[/quote]

I think it would be easier for me to make a confession.

[quote="Will8503, post:9, topic:178715"]
I think it would be easier for me to make a confession.

[/quote]

Sure. It certainly is. For some reason I felt more comfortable.

Of course, if you go to a really old experienced priest, he doesn't even have to have the gift of reading souls to have a pretty good idea of what's going on with you. Sorta like your mother or your family members, when they look at you and just know. :) Priests see it all; so they can learn a lot about how people tick.

Of course, somebody who dances around stuff like I do -- even really callow young priests can tell what's going on with me! :)

Seriously, though, it doesn't much matter whether somebody's got a special gift, or just regular old nature being built on by grace. Christ is there. But of course, God doesn't give people gifts except to be used.

I've met a few priests like that.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.