Reading the Bible in a year?

I’ve been studying the Catholic faith and praying but I’m just not sure. I thought it might help if I could read the whole Bible. It’s a daunting task though. Anyone ever done it? How was it? Were you able to finish? Did you do it by yourself or with a partner? What Bible did you use? I have the NKJV.

I’ve never done it. But if you plan to do it, you may want to look for a resource that maps out how to read it in a year for you. Also, you may want to purchase a Catholic bible (such as the New American Bible) as it will have the 7 books the KJV does not have.

Have you visited Marcus Grodi’s website? He has the Journey Home program on EWTN & also the Deep in Scripture on Catholic Radio. He offers Read the Bible and Catechism In a Year here.

:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

KJV Audio bibles are easily available and much easier to listen to than reading the text. If you choose to read the text my advice is to read Genesis, Exodus, Leviticus then skip to the New Testament, after that you could work through the Old Testament in whatever order. The Old Testament is a challenge, and highly redundant.

[quote="convert_2000, post:3, topic:179748"]
Have you visited Marcus Grodi's website? He has the Journey Home program on EWTN & also the Deep in Scripture on Catholic Radio. He offers Read the Bible and Catechism In a Year here.

[/quote]

Excellent resource! :thumbsup:

There's also this: My Daily Catholic Bible

http://www.aquinasandmore.com/images/items/4114lg.jpg

I’ve done it and it is definitely worth the time. I used the Latin Vulgate when i read it though (thats probably off the table for you). As for reading plans, read the NT first and then the OT so that you have the right perspective and can actually read a passage and say “Hey Jesus fulfilled this”

I don’t know if this could help but, I heard on EWTN radio, I believe it was sister Angelica that said that as Catholics we have the bible(Catholic edition) read to us in 3 years time. Every verse. Though as Catholics we do not focus so much on verse but more on what the message is. King James version of the bible is not recommended if your thinking of switching to catholosism since there are books missing from that version. :signofcross:

No, not every verse. IHowever, if you read the daily Mass Scripture readings (two year cycle) and the Sunday Mass readings (three year cycle), you will get a *substantial *portion of the Bible and the most important parts (not including, for example, things like long geneaologies and sections of the Book of Numbers where it is basically chapter after chapter of military statistics).

Still, it is a good way to become familiar with the Scriptures by being able to read them every day with the Church. I have written a short article on this called “Getting Started” which you can find at my humble website, linked below.

My old church had a program in which we read the entire Bible in a year and some parts of the New Testament two or possibly three times; we may also have reread Psalms, I forget. But, it wasn’t possible to understand it well. It took many years of rereading the chapters to comprehend it, according to those who stuck with it that long, because you just can’t absorb so much at once. Most of us couldn’t at least. You can sure try.
It involves approximately three chapters of the OT and one of the NT every day. :thumbsup:

I think it will be an immense help.

It is not as daunting a task as one might think. I finsihed reading the whole Bible this past summer. I started reading it in 2000 on my summer bicycle rides to far off places. People often ask me how I bicycle such long distances (such as over 3,000 miles). I answer that I do it one mile at a time. Pretty much anyone can bicycle 1 mile just as most people can read one chapter at a time.

One of the biggest problems is getting used to reading all the odd names of people. It takes awhile to get the hang of that.

Another potential stumbling block is that some sections of the Old Testament are on the dry side. Especially the part when they are walking through the desert (I jest). Seriously, the easiest books are in the New Testament so keep that in mind if you read it straight through.

I read the New American Bible. I know some people will suggest that this is not the best version. It was fairly easy to read, not withstanding my previous comment.

Reading a section and giving yourself time to reflect on it is a good thing to do.

I hope this helps.

God bless

closed #12

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.