Reading the Bible

It is my goal for this year (longer if it takes) to read the entire Bible. I am wondering what is the best way to approach this Start from Genesis and go through chapter by chapter or is their a good plan to follow Should It line up with what is going on in the Liturgical Year? Any advice would be appreciated!

I would start with the new testament first.

If you follow the Ordinary Form of the Roman rite, the Mass follows a two or three-year cycle depending on whether you go to daily Mass or just Sundays (more details in this thread).

There are "one year Bibles" you can buy, but it's easier to just get a pamphlet with references. Or you could use a website which breaks it down such as one of these:

Read the Bible in a Year (DRV)

Read the Bible in a Year (RSV-CE)

More suggestions in this thread.

I'm thinking the three year cycle might be the way to go, I want to do more than just read it,do you know what I mean?:)

I have heard that it is better to start with the OT to see the flow of history. One can then see how the promises made to the Israelites were fulfilled in the NT. if one starts with the NT one might miss the OT references if one is not familiar with the OT.

However you do it, I hope and pray that you will get many blessings from your reading.

Peace

Be Careful!!!

The Bible is a very true book.

However, it is not always literal - there are many different kinds of truths (literal, metaphorical, factual etc.) - and thus many interpretations have spiraled out of the Bible. One must remember that the One, Holy Catholic Church maintains the only authority to interpret Sacred Scripture, moreover the Catholic Church alone has the full power to interpret it correctly, as they are under the guidance of the Holy Spirit.

Alas, I ask you this; Why not read the Catechism of the Catholic Church in year?

These teachings are based on the Doctrine of the Church that has developed over the years and on the Word of God, as prescribed in the Bible. At least, when reading the Bible, read the Catechism alongside it maybe?

There will be passages, obviously, that will seem strange and contraversial. In this case, do the apologetic thing; check the Catechism for answers or ask on Catholic Answer Forums in the Scripture Forum.

My point is here, I'm just asking you to be careful when reading the Bible. Ensure you don't misinterpret it.

Just sharing my thoughts :)
Deus, Salus Nostra :gopray2:

Here's a blog that sets out one option. It actually gives the readings in full for each day
readthecatholicbibleinayear.wordpress.com/

Alternatively you can follow the mass readings for each day at
www.universalis.com

the latter covers MOST of the bible in a 2 year cycle.

There are many books, magazines and websites that set out similar reading programs but most will skip the duterocannonical texts as they are from protestant sources.

[quote="DeusSalusNostra, post:6, topic:321572"]
Be Careful!!!

The Bible is a very true book.

Alas, I ask you this; Why not read the Catechism of the Catholic Church in year?

My point is here, I'm just asking you to be careful when reading the Bible. Ensure you don't misinterpret it.

Just sharing my thoughts :)
Deus, Salus Nostra :gopray2:

[/quote]

Deus. I think your advice does not correspond to the advice given down to us by our hierarchy. We are actively encouraged to read and pray the bible, and there are Indulgences attached to doing so.
the only indulgences attached to the full version of the Catechism is specific to this year: the Year of Faith.
The full version of hte Catechism is intended for formal students, and teachers. it is intended as a guide on which to write specific user targeted catechisms. We now have 2 of these:
YouCat and
The Compendium of the Catachesim of the Catholic Church. It is aimed at the "rank & file" Laity. It is mostly the Summaries from the ends of each section, with some additional filling out where necessary.

YouCat is a larger book (than the Compendium) It is aimed at 16 - 30 year olds. It is presented in the traditional format of question and answer that has been used in the Baltimore Catechism, the Penny Catechism and many other traditional catechism texts.

These books are excellent resources... but I would strongly encourage the O.P. to plan a structured reading of the whole of the bible. If he is not familiar with the catechism yet I would advise starting with the Compendium or YouCat before tackling the full version.

Know where the full version is, however, as it's a great resource to check ones interpretation of scripture or your understanding of Church Teaching on any matter if the easier versions of the Catechism don't sufficiently address your questions.

Thanks for all the answers and links:)

When I first started reading the Bible, I started reading it at the beginning, like I would any other book. That didn't work for me. I got bogged down in Leviticus and stopped for a while.

I'd suggest trying some of the reading plans mentioned.

I got more out of reading the Gospels first, then moving on to other New Testament books.

Our Father's Plan by Dr. Scott Hahn is a wonderful way to go through the Old Testament. Very interesting and informative. Have a look here:
freerepublic.com/focus/f-religion/2695364/posts

There's a link to the audio files down the page, which I have included here:
ewtn.com/vondemand/audio/seriessearchprog.asp?seriesID=-306548622

This is a Catholic person teaching as you read. Excellent.

[quote="MaryRita85, post:1, topic:321572"]
It is my goal for this year (longer if it takes) to read the entire Bible. I am wondering what is the best way to approach this Start from Genesis and go through chapter by chapter or is their a good plan to follow Should It line up with what is going on in the Liturgical Year? Any advice would be appreciated!

[/quote]

That is great! I'm actually doing the same thing right now. I started with the Book of Genesis, and I am going in order. I'm still on the Old Testament. I plan on reading the entire Bible (from Old Testament to New Testament). I do most of my readings at night, after I come home from work and take care of everything - usually right before or around bedtime. I read a little at a time, usually only around 5 pages a night or so. Currently I'm on the Book of Tobit. I really enjoy this. After reading the entire Bible, I plan on reading the entire Catechism, along with Daily readings for each day. :thumbsup:

AG- we can keep each other on track:D

And the idea of the Gospels is a great idea!

Ditto Fredystairs Post #5.

biblestudyforcatholics.com/catholic-bible/study-information/200/document-library-documents-adventure-jeff

A the bottom see:
90-day Bible Timeline Reading Plan

We all are wired differently, there is not a one size fits all approach. As for me I always prayed first for God to lead me to a particular book, and then once that book was chosen then I would study that book well, meaning that I not only read it but learn about it, such as who wrote it, who it was written for, the theme, and I would read the footnotes and commentary from a good Study Bible or commentary. I never set time limits on when to finish because reading Scripture should only end when you die!

But I thrive on being self taught and I realize many other people thrive on following a structured system.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.