Reading the Bible

Hello everyone,
I am a revert as of a few months ago. Prior to that if was just your typical Catholic in name only. Since I reverted I have begun reading the Bible and I just finished John. My question is, can someone give me guidance on what to read next? Does it matter? Iv heard Acts is a good step after John.

Thoughts/advice?

Thank you and God Bless

Have you read the other Gospels? Matthew, Mark, and Luke are called the ‘synoptic’ Gospels; they share many features. Acts is considered to have been written by Luke; perhaps starting with Luke and then continuing to Acts might be a good idea.

I just finished reading the Gospel of Saint John as well! :slight_smile: Maybe Romans would be good; I think that is what I am going to read next!

May God bless you! :slight_smile:

There are lots of paths to take in making your way through the Bible, but I like Gorgias’ suggestion of looking at the other Gospels (or at least Luke) and then going on to Acts. There are lots of parallels between Luke and Acts, though they don’t necessarily jump out at you the first time through (or, if you’re like me, you need someone to point them out for you :o).

I do think the Gospels and Acts are a good place to start as they are narrative stories (making them easier to follow) and they are explicitly about Jesus (who is sort of the central figure of the Bible :)).

There is a great DVD Bible study series published by Ascension Press called The Great Adventure. The whole study is based around the approach that there are 14 books of the Bible we can read through to get the “story” of what is happening. Those books are:

[LIST=1]
*]Genesis
*]Exodus
*]Numbers
*]Joshua
*]Judges
*]1 Samuel
*]2 Samuel
*]1 Kings
*]2 Kings
*]Ezra
*]Nehemiah
*]1 Maccabees
*]Luke
*]Acts
[/LIST]

I think a good approach would be to read through the Gospels, then Acts, then some (or all) of the New Testament letters, then read through these fourteen books, then read through the fourteen books again while plugging in the other 59 books.

But if that sounds too complicated, stick with what works for you. :o

I read “The One Year Bible - Catholic Edition” before I turn out the light at night – it contains the entire New Living Translation with deuterocanonical books arranged in 365 daily reading – in other words. it usually has readings from the Old Testament – then possibly something from the Psalms, Proverbs, Epistles, etc. In a year’s time you complete the entire Bible.

Joe5859’s post about the Great Adventure Bible Study is good advice. I have been through this study twice, well worth the investment.

-Tim-

I agree that the Gospels are a very good start and the New Testament in general is probably the best for n00bs like yourself (hey it was for me too, many years ago), but just realize that it’s a never-ending effort and that every time you read it something new will come to you as the Holy Spirit uses it.

You can also read the books that the Mass readings are taken from, which makes the readings and homilies at Mass all the more helpful.

Just keep reading! :thumbsup:

I’d like to see at least a prophetic book or two in the list–Hosea is good, Isaiah too (but maybe you should just read part, such as 40-66)–and some of the writings are nice too, especially the Psalms–perhaps study a psalm or two between each other book?

Sure. The point the Great Adventure program is getting at is not to say that these 14 books are more important than the other 59. That is certainly not the case. The point is simply that these 14 books tell a narrative story that gives you a better view of the “Big Picture” when read together. Since the bible is organized by genre type rather than chronologically, it can get confusing to someone approaching Scripture for the first time. Further, some of the non-narrative books (like the prophetic books and the wisdom books) can be difficult to place in a conceptual framework of the story of salvation history since they don’t usually tell stories.

It’s just one method. I think it can be helpful because many of us can know lots of Bible stories, but we have difficulty connecting the dots and seeing the story as a whole. But it’s definitely not the only way to work through Scripture.

As Church Militant said, “Just keep reading!” You cannot go wrong with that. :slight_smile:

:smiley: Besides, there’s a plenary indulgence attached to reading it for a half hour. So…like I said you can’t go wrong.

:thumbsup:Besides, there’s a plenary indulgence for reading it for 30 minutes, so ya really cannot go wrong.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.