Reading the Scriptures with the Holy Spirit

I was listening to Pope Francis’ catechesis from this Wednesday’s general audience. He says that we must read the Word with the Holy Spirit, with understanding. How do I go about this KNOWING THAT I AM READING SOMETHING CORRECTLY, without worrying about interpreting it correctly? I hope that make sense.

thanks for this posting-- that is what i have asked many of my catholic friends–

and they have a puzzled look on their face–

then i tell them that it is just like praying in tongues-- and waiting for the thoughts to come from the holy spirit – for the interpretation–

because it is easy with practice to pray – and wait on the Lord to – reply to your prayer request–

some on my friends use-- a journal-- and write down the thoughts that the Lord gives them

It’s useful to read the Bible in union with other interpretations from the early Church, theologians, etc… and with the analogy of the faith. For more, check out the Church’s document The Interpretation of the Bible in the Church from 1994. :o

One thing we can be assured of is that the Holy Spirit will never lead us into error. The Tradition of the Church has left us with a rich deposit of reflections upon the Scriptures which can and should be used to aid our own prayerful reading. However, there is much room in Scripture for personal interpretation, and the Holy Spirit may speak to us through certain passages. In other words - there is not only one “correct” way of reading the Scriptures. There are ways in which we are forbidden to interpret Scripture, but as long as we avoid these, we are ok.

So, while praying upon a passage we may be enlightened with a meaning that applies to our particular situation. As long as this meaning is born of sincere prayer and not in contradiction to the Faith, we can know that we are reading Scripture in a fruitful way.

It is called Lectio Divina or divine reading, and it is easy. Christians and Jews have been doing it since Scripture first came into existence.

We do exactly what you ask how to do - stop worrying about interpretation and worry instead about God speaking to us through the Scriptures. Lectio Divina is listening to God through the Scriptures; He will help us understand all that He wants us to know.

"Lectio Divina", a Latin term, means “divine reading” and describes a way of reading the Scriptures whereby we gradually let go of our own agenda and open ourselves to what God wants to say to us. More at ocarm.org/en/content/lectio/what-lectio-divina

Michael Casey is the master… books.google.com/books/about/Sacred_Reading.html?id=MTMpPAAACAAJ

-Tim-

closed #6

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.