Reading Theology of the Body & Love and Responsibility

I am looking ahead to what I will be reading next, or a book or two from now. I want to look at sexual morality and family life. Specifically, I am considering Love and Responsibility and Theology of the Body by JPII/Karol Wojtyla.

Which would you suggest I read first?
Are there any compilations of Theology of the Body yet? I cannot find any, just the individual audiences at EWTN. I do not think I am interested at this time in works based off Theology of the Body, but rather the original audiences.

Thank you.

Hi! This is my first post! I have read both Love and Responsibility and Theology of the Body (JPII’s original and Christopher West’s interpretation), and I can say that you should read TOB first. TOB is philosophical but very practical. It changed the way I viewed almost everything. L&R is a lot more introspective. Actually it was the most introspective book I have ever read. It is like reading an examination of conscious for how you react to attraction and the opposite sex in general. It is not an easy read and I believe you would be better off reading TOB first so you are exposed to the topics and style JPII uses.

I absolutely love JPII’s insight into this topic and I believe it is the beginning of a theological revolution that the 20th century will be known for in the future.

May God Bless you on your journey

TJ

There is a compilation of the Wednesday Audiences on Theology of the Body. It is called “Man and Woman He Created Them: A Theology of the Body”.
amazon.com/Man-Woman-He-Created-Them/dp/0819874213

The first 1/3 of the book is an introduction and forward that are not required…but extremely useful in understanding JPII’s philosophy and writing style and how he arranged the weekly audiences. The audiences themselves follow, ordred by day, and I highly recommend taking them slow…even limiting yourself to 1 per day…unless you are used to philosophy and can take more info at a time.

Thanks. Read all the Amazon reviews. I will be purchasing it.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.