Reading what Orthodox people (and saints) say about Catholicism

I’m in RCIA, and I’m fairly certain I made the right personal choice in choosing Catholicism over Orthodoxy, but I can’t help but feel saddened and/or upset when I come across some Orthodox sources online (Facebook groups, discussion boards) that basically say the Catholic Church is wrong, heretical, etc etc.

And certain quotes by Orthodox saints talk about how Orthodoxy is the true Church and false ecumenism is heretical. Doesn’t that basically mean Catholics are heretics? They also seem to preclude any possibility for Protestants and those of other backgrounds from being saved at the end.

It makes me wonder why God allowed the schism to happen or why there’s no approved message of Jesus or Our Lay speaking to a Catholic saint about the Orthodox Church, and vice-versa. Something along the lines of, “Hey you, you guys need to sort this out and reconcile with each other, or else.” If the other Church was truly heretical, Jesus or Our Lady might have spoken about it to the hypothetically only-true Church, no?

But yet, there are miracles and holy people in both Churches.

Surely, in heaven, the saints aren’t separated into Catholic and Orthodox sides, right? Maybe…?

Is reunion not being hurried by God so that we would increase our desire for unity and thus attain greater joy when what seemed impossible finally happens?

My faith must be weak because I get feelings of doubt, asking myself, “Hmm…maybe I should look into the Orthodox Church instead. Maybe Rome is too legalistic. Maybe there are heretical elements in the Church.”

The schism or separation between Orthodox and Roman Catholic is sad, but IMHO, at this point in time, neither side is willing to yield to the other. A big mistake occurred IMHO in 1054, when the Catholic papal legate laid the bull of excommunication at the altar of the Orthodox Church, the Hagia Sophia. It seems that many of the issues raised in that bull could have been discussed in an atmosphere of mutual respect and peaceful coexistence.

Do not let your heart be troubled. During this time, your opponent, the devil, will try to steal the grace which God is pouring out upon you. Resist him, solid in your faith.

The Bible tells us plainly:

Matthew 16:18-19
18 And I tell you that you are Peter, and on this rock I will build my church, and the gates of Hades will not overcome it. 19 I will give you the keys of the kingdom of heaven; whatever you bind on earth will be bound in heaven, and whatever you loose on earth will be loosed in heaven.”

Jesus gave Simon a new name, Kepha (“Peter” from “Petros” is the translation of the Aramaic word, “kepha”). If you stick with the one Church which still sees Peter as its foundation stone, then you will be in the Church which Jesus promised and which still has the keys of true authority.

:thumbsup:

You are mistaken but you certainly are not a heretic.

As a general rule we don’t not. God said "“I will have mercy on whom I have mercy, and I will have compassion on whom I have compassion.” We can’t put limits on God’s mercy.

“You ask, will the heterodox be saved. Why do you worry about them? They have a Saviour Who desires the salvation of every human being. He will take care of them. You and I should not be burdened with such a concern. Study yourself and your own sins.” - St Theophan the Recluse

Our Lady of Soufanieh is an approved apparition to a catholic woman to whom Our Lady asked for the reunion of Catholics and Orthodox Churches.

But yet, there are miracles and holy people in both Churches.

There are miracles even amongst protestants. The holy spirit woks in other Christian communities but never as fully as in the Catholic Church which is the Church of Christ.

Surely, in heaven, the saints aren’t separated into Catholic and Orthodox sides, right? Maybe…?

This is true. All are saved through the catholic church as there is no salvation outside of it. All people who go to heaven are in some form of communion with the Church of God as tradition teaches us.

Is reunion not being hurried by God so that we would increase our desire for unity and thus attain greater joy when what seemed impossible finally happens?

Again, look up Our Lady of Soufanieh

My faith must be weak because I get feelings of doubt, asking myself, “Hmm…maybe I should look into the Orthodox Church instead. Maybe Rome is too legalistic. Maybe there are heretical elements in the Church.”

The Orthodox are a schismatic church and any schism or heresy must be justified. Hence they like protestants call the one true church heretical. But let it be known that only the Catholic Church is the Church of Christ and where Peter is, there is the Church. Further all “catholic heresies” like Papal infallibility are true! In fact Papal infallibility and the immaculate conception were prophesied by Our Lady of Good Success , an approved apparition, to a Nun in Ecuador over 2centuries before they were proclaimed dogmas.

Have faith. As the great mystic and visionary, Blessed Anne Catherine Emmerich said :

The Church is the only one, the Roman Catholic! And if there were left upon earth but one Catholic, he would be the one, universal Church, the Catholic Church, the Church of Jesus Christ against which the gates of Hell shall never prevail.”

Again she says :

“If the Church is true, all in her is true; he who admits not the one, believes not the other.”

Since becoming Orthodox, I have been nearly blown away by the nature and frequency of miracles in the Orthodox Church. The number of miracle wrought by icons, relics and holy springs is staggering in comparison to what I knew of in the Protestant Church. I have little knowledge of what occurs in the Catholic Church so I can’t comment or compare.

I think that this is somewhat of an exaggeration as not everything in the Catholic Church is true. Truth does not change, but some of the teachings of the Catholic Church have changed.

No what Blessed Anne Catherine Emmerich says is true as the Church is the pilar and foundation of truth (1 Timothy 3:15 ). All that the church teaches is true. Nothing is changed. She is true for Christ is True

Devotions and disciplines may change.
Doctrines and dogmas may not. And never have.

God spoke through His only begotten Son, if you believe this, then you should put your mind to rest and know He speaks through the Catholic Church of which there is no salvation outside of, the Church is the only true mouthpiece of the incarnate Lord.

Its a spiritual battle, and you would do well to clearly understand your a sinner and the gravity of this state we are born in, put aside all the clutter and chaos and focus on saving your soul without the disturbance of some man made foolish claims in persecution of what will not change in the spiritual reality. You need to get off the polemical hamster wheel and seek the intended purpose of His established Church, save your soul and pay no attention to the hecklers from the cheap seats who will not be there to share your suffering, only the Lord will. And if you focus real hard, you won’t even hear the clanging cymbals and you’ll come to understand what your suffering in this physical reality. and this physical reality is all about.

Has the teaching on torture changed? Pope Innocent IV allowed it to be used in the Inquisition, whereas today it is said to be wrong.

Is that a doctrine or dogma regarding faith and morals?

If not, it can change.

Love your neighbor as yourself simply cannot change. :slight_smile: Only people can.

That is not doctrine. Doctrinal teachings aid salvation. This reflects the culture of the time. I’m sure you can do better than this…

It sounds like it’s a good time to be off the internet, EIF5A.

I should think that the permissibility of torture is a matter of morals.

I can but I hesitate to bring up the question of the filioque or the question concerning whether the Blood was shed for all or for many.

You don’t believe whether torture is morally permissible is a matter of faith and morals?

I’d caution you on the assumption that what you find on the internet is the calm and rational exposition of any particular faith.

I will say the local Orthodox church has been exceedingly kind to us Lutherans - they’ve been patient when we’ve visited them and they’ve been a blessing to us. Our church has Orthodox icons and and beautiful censer given in true Christian love by them.

Did you notice that I asked a question?

Sheesh.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.