Readings at Mass different

Hello,

I have a quick question: Today I was watching mass on EWTN and following along with my Magnificat, and I noticed that the scripture reading wasn’t the same as in the Magnificat. Today’s readings were suppose to be Micah 6:1-4, 6-8 and Matthew 12:38-42, and the Psalm was 50. The reading on EWTN was something in 1st or 2nd Corinthians (forgive me, my three little children were also distracting me at the time, and I missed some parts this morning). No where do I see where Corinthians was suppose to be read today. It was the feast of St. Lawrence of Brindisi.

I looked around on line but didn’t see anything. Am I missing something? :confused: I am still learning the nuances of the Catholic faith. :blush:

Thanks,

-Heidi

The feast of St. Lawrence of Brindisi is an optional memorial, hence it needn’t be celebrated. Most likely what you saw on EWTN was the ferial Monday in the 16th week of ordinay time (or else Magnificat’s readings are for the ferial Monday and EWTN celebrated the feast of St. LoB).

ewtn.com/daily-readings/

That link above was not the Mass that was shown at 8am (I checked that too :slight_smile: ). It was a different priest too.

Thank you for responding. :slight_smile: The Magnificat readings were the same readings that were listed on the USCCB website, so I’m assuming those are the typical ferial Monday readings? And the priest on EWTN was highlighting the feast day; he stressed it during the prayers and homily, etc. rather than just mentioning the Saint’s feast day like the priests usually do.

I just found on the EWTN website this:

Monday, July 21, 2014
St. Lawrence of Brindisi, Priest, Doctor of the Church (Feast)

First Reading: Wisdom 8:9-16 or 2 Corinthians 5:14-21
Psalm: Psalm 67:2-5, 7-8
Gospel: Luke 9:1-6

The greater and more persistent your confidence in God, the more abundantly you will receive what you ask.

– St. Albert the Great

Okay, so that solves THAT mystery. However, the readings in Magnificat/on the USCCB website are different (as I originally posted). So, are the scriptures above used if the feast day is being recognized and celebrated vs. an Ordinary Time Mass? Do these two types of readings have different names so one can locate them on line or in a book if desired? (ex/ ferial weekday readings and…?). So, if I wander into Mass, there are two options (typically) for readings I could be hearing - ferial readings or “feast day saint” readings? Do I have that right?

Thank you again for any info anyone has. I’m just trying to gets my ducks in a row. :wink:

July 21, 2014

Saint Laurence of Brindisi, Priest, Doctor: 2 Corinthians 1:15-2:11

In post #5 it was asked “So, if I wander into Mass, there are two options (typically) for readings I could be hearing - ferial readings or “feast day saint” readings? Do I have that right?”

Usually more options are possible than these two.

The 1981 General Introduction to the Lectionary for Mass has:

“63. Pastors may wish to respond specifically from the word of God to the concerns of their own congregations. Although they must be mindful that they are above all to be the heralds of the entire mystery of Christ and the Gospel, they may rightfully use the options provided in the Order of Readings for Mass. This applies particularly to the celebration of a ritual or votive Mass, a Mass in honour of the saints, or one of the Masses for various needs and occasions. In light of the general norms, specific faculties are granted for the readings in Masses with particular groups.”

A footnote to this refers to three documents, including the 1973 Directory Masses with Children, nos. 41-47. This includes: “43. If all the readings assigned to the day seem to be unsuited to the capacity of the children, it is permissible to choose readings or a reading either from the Lectionary for Mass or directly from the Bible, but taking into account the liturgical seasons.”

In n. 82 of the General Introduction to the Lectionary for Mass it has under the heading “Weekday readings”

“The one using the Order of Readings for weekdays must check to see whether one reading or another from the same biblical book will have to be omitted because of some celebration occurring during the week. With the plan of readings for the entire week in mind, the priest in that case arranges to omit the less significant selections or suitably combines them with other readings, if they contribute to an integral view of a particular theme.”

The psalm need not be from the Lectionary, but may use those selected in two other books. From the 2012 General Instruction of the Roman Missal approved for Australia: "61. … Instead of the Psalm assigned in the Lectionary, there may be sung either the Responsorial Gradual form the Graduale Romanum, or the Responsorial Psalm or the Alleluia Psalm from the Graduale Simplex, as described in these books.

They would be in what is called the Proper of Saints, now I don’t know if Magnificat has this, but I know most hand missals have it.

Thank you all so much for the helpful information. I get it now. :slight_smile: I really appreciate it.

I noticed the same thing at Mass at the Abbey yesterday. The reading I had in my Universalis app was Micah and it was also a reading from St. Paul. Figured that it had something to do with being Benedictines. The rest of the Mass was that of the feast of St. Mary Magdalen. Their LoH readings were the same ones I had on my app.

closed #11

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.