Readings at Mass

Does anyone know if the reading at the latin Masses are different than those of the new mass?

Kendy

At a Latin Novus Ordo Mass, the readings would be the same. At a Mass following the Tridentine ordo, they would usually be different. The former has a three-year cycle and a Reading (Old Testament or Acts), psalm, New Testament letter, Gospel format. The latter has an Epistle followed by a Gospel and has a one year cycle.

Yes they are different. The traditional Mass follows the previous liturgical calendar.

This site has the readings for the Proper of Seasons for the Traditional Mass as well as almost the entire lectionary after 1970. If you would like to compare the readings, I had drawn up this table of Common Masses (for a particular Class of Saint- Virgins, Martyrs, Holy Women, apostles) and weekday votive Masses* and Masses of the dead. I had also started work on this one showing the readings for saints that are not from the Common but it is only from December-July.

*On weekdays on which no saint’s day was observed (ferias) that did not have a Proper mass (i.e. there were no Mass texts assigned- which is for most ferias outside Lent) the priest could say either the Mass of the preceding Sunday, or a Votive Mass, or a Mass of the Dead, and the readings were connected with that Mass… By custom there were usually votive Masses assigned to each day of the week, The sequence was

Saturday: BVM
Monday: Holy Trinity
Tuesday:Holy Angels
Wednesday:St. Joseph/ Ss. Peter and Paul/ Holy Apostles
Thurday: Blessed Sacrament/ Holy Spirit/ OLJC the High Priest
Friday: Passion of OLJC/ Holy Cross

By contrast, in the post-1970 lectionery, there is a 2 year cycle for weekdays in Ordinary Time which favours a semi-continuous reading of Scripture. The lectionery for Sundays is on a 3 year cycle- the first year reads the Goepl form St. Matthew, the second year from St. Mark and the thrid from St.Luke. St. John features in all 3 years.

G&S already mentioned the format for Sundays, but for weekdays it is First Reading-Psalm/Gradual-Alleluia-Gospel.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.