Readings during Baptism Liturgy

I’ve been to a few baptisms in my Parish and have noticed the Priest leaves out the readings and homily. Is there something in the Rubrics that permits this? I’m just confused where the readings and homily are done in other parishes but not ours.

Baptisms may take place during Mass or outside of Mass. It sounds like you’ve experienced baptisms both ways and perhaps that’s what is causing confusion.

But, even if a baptism is taking place outside of Mass, the readings and the homily aren’t optional; they are part of the rite of baptism.

Most of the baptisms I’ve been to occurred outside of Mass. Thanks for your prompt answers.

I can’t remember the last time I attended a baptism outside of Mass. (My parish baptizes children during Mass.) So I looked it up. Assuming this is accurate – ibreviary.com/m/preghiere.php?tipo=Rito&id=103 – the reading can be awfully short. See this one from Matthew for an example:

Then Jesus approached and said to them, “All power in heaven and on earth has been given to me. Go, therefore, and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the holy Spirit, teaching them to observe all that I have commanded you. And behold, I am with you always, until the end of the age.”

#82 in the rite also calls for a short homily but a very short reading and a very short homily might go by almost unnoticed.

I tend to assume that clergy know what they’re doing, so all I can think is that these elements may have been very short, where at Mass they are more evident.

One or more crying babies, and the consequent distress/distractions, might prompt the priest or deacon to exercise a little discretion relative to the Baptismal homily.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.