Readings for 28th OT Oct 12, 2014

Hi - I’m a first time poster and I have a question about the reading from the Gospel of St. Matthew which is the parable of the wedding feast for the king’s son. I’ll post the reading after the question. In the story the originally invited guests refuse and the king orders his servants to drag people, good and bad, off the streets to fill the banquet. One person doesn’t have a wedding garment on and remains silent when asked “why” by the king, and he is ejected to the outer darkness.

Then we get the tag line: Many are called, but few are chosen.

This verse doesn’t really fit with the action preceding it. Many many were invited but only one was seemingly rejected - the one who hadn’t changed his heart (i.e. lack of wedding garment).

I’ve looked at the verse in my Greek Logos exegetical guide which shows the verse word by word in the original Greek or Hebrew and gives a word by word translation.

I’ll spare you the details, but the translation seems to be very much in accord with what Jesus did.

Does someone out there know enough Greek to do a suitable translation of the "Many are called, few are chosen.

I wonder if this translation would be acceptable: many are called, but a few are chosen.

Since the image of “wedding feast” seems to imply heaven I wonder what happened to the one thrown overboard.

Thanks

Paul Rubiola

It fits very well…God offers the promise of salvation to all (the many). The “few” chosen are those who will actually obtain salvation.

The majority of the others reject the offer, ignore the offer because they feel other things are more important, or do not fully embrace God (the one not wearing a wedding garment).

The important message is while God chooses, he selects for salvation only those who personally chose God.

God wants salvation for all…Jesus tells us in scripture he did not come to condemn, but to safe.

Peace and all good!

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.