Ready ... aim ... point ... talk

Albany Times Union:

Ready … aim … point … talk

Jerome M. Hauer, Gov. Andrew Cuomo’s director of homeland security, took out his handgun and used the laser sighting device attached to the barrel as a pointer in a presentation to a foreign delegation, according to public officials. It happened Oct. 24 in Albany at the highly secure state emergency operations center below State Police headquarters. These officials, one of whom claimed to be an eyewitness, said that three Swedish emergency managers in the delegation were rattled when the gun’s laser tracked across one of their heads before Hauer found the map of New York, at which he wanted to point.

Hauer, commissioner of the Division of Homeland Security and Emergency Services, was disabled by a stroke a few years ago and can be unsteady. He isn’t a law enforcement official. He carries the loaded 9-millimeter Glock in a holster into state buildings, an apparent violation of state law barring state employees from bringing weapons to the workplace, several witnesses say.

The incident with the Swedish delegation occurred during a two-hour briefing at the operations center concerning the state’s response to Superstorm Sandy, according to one of the officials.
Asked about the matter over the course of several weeks, Cuomo’s press aide promised to look into it but has repeatedly had no comment. Hauer’s communications officer, Peter Cutler, also promised to look into it, but he has declined to respond beyond saying he is unaware that it happened. “I’ve heard rumors,” Cutler said.

Must be nice, you can break all the gun laws you want if you’re a state official but a citizen has to go thru a metal detector to even enter a state office building.

:ouch:

Laws were never intended to apply to those who write them and those who enforce them.

I second that.:thumbsup:

Seriously? Are you kidding?

That is an elitist philosophy. No one should be above the law.

It is a neutral observation of how things are; not how they should be.

Agree.:thumbsup:

He carries the loaded 9-millimeter Glock in a holster into state buildings, an apparent violation of state law barring state employees from bringing weapons to the workplace…

Methinks that the law is what it is, and he is breaking it… Do you not see that indication?
Why should be be above this law?

Hauer’s communications officer, Peter Cutler, also promised to look into it, but he has declined to respond beyond saying he is unaware that it happened. “I’ve heard rumors,” Cutler said.

In other words, no consequences in the form of employment loss or criminal charges.

Methinks if I pointed an (illegal as the Glock certainly holds more than 7 rounds) handgun at peoples heads in NY I would be facing felony charges, but alas, I’m a prole like this guy:

buffalonews.com/city-region/lockport/lockport-police-catch-flak-for-safe-act-arrest-20131016

A Town of Lockport man who was a passenger during a traffic stop was charged when he turned over a loaded semiautomatic handgun in a holster from the glove compartment to an officer on Saturday. The gun was legal, but police say the 10 rounds of 9 mm ammunition found in the magazine were not, because they violated the state law that states it is unlawful for any person to knowingly possess a magazine with more than seven rounds. Exemptions are authorized only for firing ranges or Olympic, collegiate or other sanctioned shooting competitions. Active-duty police officers are also exempt.

Paul A. Wojdan, 26, of Parkwood Drive, was charged with unlawful possession of an ammunition-feeding device and posted $250 bail. An arraignment is scheduled for today in City Court.

See the difference? No one “promises to look into it” for ole Paul Wojdan now do they?

If I’d pulled a gun at a meeting with foreign delegates I’d probably been full of holes within the first 10seconds:D

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.