Real life scenarios and "render unto Caesar"

Matthew 22:21 Jesus said " Render to Caesar the things that are Caesar’s ; and to God the things that are God’s."

Scenarios:

1. A housekeeper has always been paid by check. Now her husband lost his job, and if she reports her income he does not qualify for unemployment and food benefits. They are poor working class people that just lost all their belonging due to a hurricane. Should I pay her cash, so they continue to get their benefits, even though I know they are not reporting her income? Am I complicit, sinning?

2. A house handy man is asking to be paid by cash for the service, vs check. He will likely not pay taxes. I get a better price if I pay by cash. Am I complicit, sinning?

What are the church’s teaching on this? Need theological catechism based response; not personal opinions. I have many opinions already pro/con. Thanks.

It’s not your responsibility to make sure people pay their taxes and cash is legal tender for all debts public and private.

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.