Real Presence Education

My friend has been looking at Christianity for about 7 months now, and he has gone from agnostic to a firm believer in Christ. He currently goes to a non-denominational church with powerful worship songs and a general reflection on Scripture. He holds that the Bible is the Word of God, but still questions some traditions of the Catholic Church. At the same time, though, he does see the importance in tradition. When we went to his church, they passed around communion, and he told me that the church was not doing the communion justice, both in educating the congregation and in reverence.

I took him to mass this morning, and he wanted to speak with a priest (he realizes that he can’t make confession without a confirmation in the CC) about his beliefs.

Later today, he told me that he wanted to begin a “formal education” on the teachings of the Real Presence of the Eucharist. Here is where I would point him to an RCIA program, or just have him sit down with priest (both options which I recommended to him, he is speaking with a priest at around 11:00 am today). However, if there is some organization that strictly teaches on the Real Presence of the Eucharist, then perhaps he could better understand it than in RCIA. Maybe I should just be taking him to mass more often…

Long post, but my question is:

Is there another option besides having him speak with a priest or join an RCIA class to learn about Real Presence?

Your thoughts are appreciated

In Christ,

Murph

Lots of prayer and meditation.

It sounds like your friend really wants to study.
May i suggest to have him send away for info
PRESENTATION MINISTRIES
3230 McHenry Ave.
Cincinnati, OH 45211

or call (513)662-Jesu(5378)
www.presentationministries.com

They have a booklet One BREAD, One BODY which he can also get as they ask for a donation.
We get these at Church.

Their study lessons aren’t very expensive; other sites;
www.retreats@presentationministries.com
pubsandtapes@presentationministries.com
telephone line (859)-291-7000

Also The Bread of Life by David E. Rosage(2005)
is good www.wordamongus.org press
He is a monsignor and I like his writings he uses a lot of scripture and writes with leading to a simple understanding.
I’ve read this over and over.

One of the best books I have ever read on the Real Presence is by Pope Benedict. It is called “God is Near”. It covers Church teaching, as well as Benedict’s own reflections on the Real Presence. You may also direct him to some of Scott Hahn’s books. Given the fact that Hahn started out as a Protestant, this might give your friend a good example as to how a former minister came to believe in the Real Presence and the in the teachings of the Church.

I recommend “The Lambs Supper” by Scott Hahn. Its available on audio and in print. It is the best scholarly explanation available. Later down the road get “Theology of the Body” by Christopher West. These recommendations are sound Catholic teaching. Be certain all material the person may read has the Imprimatur Nihl Obstat stamp located at the very beginning pages. This identifies the material as correct Catholic writing. :thumbsup:

I’m reading “The Lambs Supper” right now and would highly recommend it. It is real easy reading too.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.