Real Presence of Christ in the Eucharist

Am I the only one who notices how few people recognize the Real Presence of Christ in the Eucharist?

Most children are poorly catechized and don’t realize that Communion IS JESUS! My own sister, an altar server of three years, called the Holy Tabernacle the “box on the wall” where the “bread is kept in”. I find it very sad that altar servers don’t really know WHO or WHAT they are serving!

Don’t get me started on the congregation in general… I could talk for a long time.

Even among Extraordinary Ministers of Holy Communion. They accidentally drop the Body and stare at It awkwardly, then proceed to use a new Host.

Thoughts? I find it very, very sad.

While children are told that Communion is Jesus’ body, they never really develop a proper belief in it if me and the people I know are anything to go by. Even today I have to remind myself and when going up to Communion I rarely think of it as me consuming part of Jesus’ body because I don’t really make the connection most of the time. I read some interesting stuff recently about the belief in the Eucharist having gone down as more and more people took Communion in the hand. It also said that Communion in the hand originated from Arians who used it because they didn’t believe Jesus was the same as God. But I don’t know if more people taking it in the hand has led to less belief or if they are just two disconnected trends(I think it’s the latter). And I can’t link it since I was later told that the priest it was by was banned from being a priest by his Bishop.

:sad_yes:

The following I believe may help people -

The Sacred Heart Image (St Margaret-Mary Alacoque) -

http://s7.postimg.org/4jx43bm1n/Christ_7.jpg

The revelation which took place in June 1675 when St Margaret Mary was before the Blessed Sacrament: "Behold this Heart, Which has loved men so much, that It has spared nothing, even to exhausting (Crucifixion) and consuming Itself, (Last Supper, Eucharist) in order to testify to them Its love; and in return I receive from the greater number nothing but ingratitude by reason of their irreverence and sacrileges, and by the coldness and contempt which they show Me in this Sacrament of Love. (how people treat His real presence in the Holy Eucharist). But what I feel the most keenly is that it is hearts which are consecrated to Me that treat Me thus. Therefore, I ask of thee that the Friday after the Octave of Corpus Christi be set apart for a special feast to honour My Heart, by communicating on that day and making reparation to It by a solemn act, in order to make amends for the indignities which It has received during the time It has been exposed on the altars. I promise thee that My Heart shall expand Itself to shed in abundance the influence of Its divine love upon those who shall thus honour It, and cause It to be honoured."

**Eucharistic Miracle of Poland, Sokólka, October 12, 2008 **

Sokólka, October 12, 2008 (Part 1) – (PDF: 1.41M)
Sokólka, October 12, 2008 (Part 2) – (PDF: 1.31M)
Sokólka, October 12, 2008 (Part 3) – (PDF: 1.41M)

**Eucharistic Miracles of Argentina, Buenos Aires, 1992 - 1994 - 1996 **

(Note: The scientific investigations into this Eucharistic Miracle were instigated and approved of by Pope Francis, then known as the Argentina Archbishop Jorge Bergoglio)

Buenos Aires, 1992 - 1994 - 1996 (part 1) - (PDF: 1.46M)
Buenos Aires, 1992 - 1994 - 1996 (part 2) - (PDF: 1.42M)
Buenos Aires, 1992 - 1994 - 1996 (part 3) - (PDF: 1.25M)

Eucharistic Miracle of Italy, Lanciano, 750 A.D.

Lanciano, 750 A.D. (part 1) – (PDF: 186k)
Lanciano, 750 A.D. (part 2) – (PDF: 194k)

God Bless

Thank you for reading
Josh

The better we prepare our hearts for the Eucharist, the more blessings we receive.

When the habit of praying and pondering Who you are about to receive takes place, the reverence is easy.

It helps much when families pray together in the home.

The Enthronement of the Sacred Heart can be encouraged and taught about, and that is a wonderful way to start family prayer.

It’s been said that as few as 1 in 3 Catholics believe in the Real Presence. That’s astounding. And I’ve heard this from two good Priests from the Fathers of Mercy (Fr. Ben Cameron and Fr. Wade Menezes) on Catholic Radio. Many polls also mirror this. And it makes it easier to understand for me at least, why so many Catholics embrace all of the rot-gut things that the culture throws their way.

Peace, Mark

Just a minor correction. We don’t believe that in the Eucharist we receive a part of Jesus’ body. We believe that we receive all of Jesus’ body. We receive Jesus whole and entire.

It’s been a long time ago, but after I received my first communion and began receiving communion regularly, my older brother told me that after receiving, we should kneel down in the pew, bow our heads, and pray to Jesus until the priest was finished distributing communion. In those days, no one–no one–was allowed to touch the host except a priest. One always genuflected when passing in front of the tabernacle. As I recall we were quite well catechized as second graders. With the liturgical reforms, there has unfortunately been a more casual attitude toward the Eucharist, and that casualness itself instills unbelief.

In my Diocese (and I don’t know if it varies) kids are taught real presence in second grade when they receive First Holy Communion. I think it’s something that should be reiterated yearly in Catechism.

Mary.

Yes! Repetition helps.

And they need to hear it at home a lot. Sadly in this culture the focus isn’t where it should be in many families.

I think it is the former. It’s funny but I was just thinking this exact topic last week. I think the #1 reason though is the removal of the altar rail. So much more reverent when kneeling to receive our Lord, rather than the assembly line it is now.

It isn’t just the Eucharist, I remember you never climbed the steps to the altar without genuflecting first, now I see many people just walk up casually. The other day I came back from Communion and people behind me were talking about a shopping trip. Came out of Confession the other day and was praying, two ladies sat down in front of me, and started talking about their kids, next time it happens I will say my prayers out loud.

A sense of the sacred is not as strong as it should be in church.

Somehow I don’t think it has anything to do with altar rails, but more so with a lack of a prayer life.

How many families pray the Rosary together? Pray before meals? Teach their children about the Stations of the Cross? How many make it a point to go to adoration when their parish has it?

Would catechesis on all these topics from the pulpit help?

Do we need natural disasters to awaken us to our calling as Christians?

When those who know better work at their own holiness, then others will follow.

When we love our enemies and desire their salvation and pray and make sacrifices for them then miracles of grace will follow.

I know I am rambling…

Thankfully there are people who are seriously strive to follow our Lord Jesus Christ, and encourage others to do so without saying anything.

Please speak for yourself.

This may be the case in your parish or in your diocese, but it is not the case universally and it is wrong to project what you see at one parish on the rest of the world. Here in the deep south you either know your faith or you become Baptist and the Church is growing.

Complaining anonymously on the internet does no good for anyone. The correct place to take this is to the Pastor along with your offer to help.

-Tim-

smead2942 was doing just that.

** smead2942** was not “complaining” but asking a perfectly appropriate question “am I the only one?” in the most appropriate place.

I don’t think your response is fair but I agree that it is good to go to the Pastor and offer to help.

It was a complaint post.

If the OP had a real question to ask the he should have asked it. “Am I the only one who notices?” sounds a bit superior and “Thoughts?” is nothing more than an invitation for others to commiserate.

-Tim-

This is a great topic. It seems to me (at least in our parish) that the folks who attend daily Mass have more reverence than the folks that come on Sundays and they are also the same people you see at adoration and the stations. I’m not suggesting that this makes one more holy than the other but I do believe the more time you spend in front of the Blessed Sacrament the more profound your love for Jesus becomes.

I don’t understand what would make God sacrifice his only son for me and I don’t understand what would make Jesus agree to such a thing. I can’t imagine the sorrow the Angels felt watching Jesus die the way he did but it sure makes this sinner feel loved.

I owe a debt I can never repay but I’ll keep trying.

A complaint post? I guess you could say it’s a complaint when I point out that the majority of Catholics don’t believe (or even know about) the Real Presence of our Lord Jesus Christ in the Eucharist. However, I’m not complaining for the sake of complaining, or because I like to hear myself ‘whine’; rather, because I’m genuinely interested in whether or not this trend is exclusive to my diocese.

The lack of reverence and/or belief in the Real Presence isn’t something that we can label as “holier than thou” and forget. It’s a genuine problem that needs to be addressed. After all, this is the Body and Precious Blood of JESUS that we’re talking about!

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.