Reality TV snake pastor died of snake bite after refusing treatment because 'it was God's plan'

A snake-handling pastor who appeared on the National Geographic television reality show ‘Snake Salvation’ has died after being bitten by a snake during a Saturday night church service in Kentucky.
Pentecostal Pastor Jamie Coots died from his dangerous denomination at the weekend, having been bitten by a rattlesnake at his small Kentucky church and refusing to seek medical attention.
The father-of-two was known for practicing an extreme and rare Christian tradition of snake handling, based on an interpretation of the King James Bible, Mark 16: 17-18, which reads: ‘And these signs shall follow them that believe; In my name shall they cast out devils; they shall speak with new tongues; they shall take up serpents; and if they drink any deadly thing, it shall not hurt them; they shall lay hands on the sick, and they shall recover.’

Read more: dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2560727/Kentucky-Pastor-famous-practicing-rare-Christian-snake-handling-tradition-KILLED-bitten-rattlesnake-refusing-treatment-Gods-plan.html#ixzz2tc1cgwZ6
Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook

What do people think of this?

Its sad when anybody dies…and he obviously had faith in what he was doing even though we as catholics would not do it ourselves…we should pray for his soul incase he is in purgatory

“Thou shall not tempt the Lord thy God.” This man was a fool to do this. It is this kind of nonsense that costs people their lives, and I guess he now knows that.

Very sad, especially given that the Christian snake handlers interpreted the bible passage too literally. Even skilled herpetologists are at risk of being bitten, but at least they know when and when not to handle venomous snakes.

May he rest in peace.

… And, they get appropriate medical treatment if bitten.

Yes, and it also says we are always to test our faith, also states true believers DO have the ability to withstand bites from serpents, withstand fire next to their skin, drinking poison and other such things.

I dont know what happened here though, clearly it was his time to go, but I have seen people in that religion put blow torches right up to their faces and nothing has happened to their skin, so that tells me they are being protected by a higher power, as if I tried that, I would burn my skin immediately.

Eternal Rest, grant unto him, O LORD, and let perpetual light shine upon him. May he rest in peace. Amen. +

Its sad that some of our Protestant Brethren adopt such a literalistic POV of Scripture. I wonder if they counsel people to actually pluck their right eye out if it causes them to sin?

If it was his time to go, that was only because he was an arrogant fool.

Like the story of the dam ready to burst, and the Preacher prays at his church for God to save him. The Lord answers and say He’ll save him. Immediately there is a knock at the church door and a man says, “C’mon get in the car - we need to leave.” But the Preacher says, “No, the Lord will save me.” The flood starts, and the Preacher goes up to the choir loft. Suddenly, outside the window a boat appears and a man says, “C’mon get in the boat - we need to leave.” But the Preacher says, “No, the Lord will save me.” The waters climb higher and the Preacher goes out onto the steeple. Suddenly, a helicopter appears and a man says, “C’mon, we’ll drop you a line and pull you up.” But the Preacher says, “No, the Lord will save me.” Then the waters overtake him and he drowns. Arriving at the Pearly Gates he’s furious with the Lord. 'Didn’t you say you’d save me?" he asks. The Lord says, “Yes I did. I sent a car, a boat and a helicopter. What did you expect?”

The Preacher bitten by a snake is no different. He should have gone to the hospital. Honestly, what did he expect?

There is a famous (infamous) group of Russian Orthodox fanatics, the Skoptsi, who cut off their genitals…male and female… taking that verse literally.

I worked with a patient in a psych hospital who did exactly that - tore out his eye “because the Bible told me to!”

That happens frequently…drinking cyanide, doing awful things to kids who are in “sin.” The more primitive, the more literalistic, the more danger.

I can’t remember where, but there’s a verse in Mark that says something about handling snakes. That’s where they get it from.

Funny how we never hear of parishes with blinded-by-their-own hand ministers amongst the fundies.

Proverbs 26:11

As a dog that returns to his vomit, so is the fool that repeats his folly.

God have mercy on his soul!

Isn’t it a bit of a stinging condemnation that only 2 of the 1st 16 posts took the time to pray for this person’s soul, but had no problem wagging their tongues?

Let us take the plank out of own eye before pointing out the splinter in the eye of our neighbor.

Peace and prayers.

Very sad, though he was reckless to do this as I see he has two children. May he rest in peace.

I’ll hope other people will learn from this , but i’m afraid not !!

It comes from the very end of Mark’s gospel, chapter 16:

"These signs will accompany those who believe: in my name they will drive out demons, they will speak new languages.

They will pick up serpents (with their hands), and if they drink any deadly thing, it will not harm them. They will lay hands on the sick, and they will recover."

So then the Lord Jesus, after he spoke to them, was taken up into heaven and took his seat at the right hand of God.

But they went forth and preached everywhere, while the Lord worked with them and confirmed the word through accompanying signs."

When you reject the authority of the Church and make yourself the authority, you will get all kinds of dangerous errors in interpretation, and have no one to lead you back.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.