Really Big Mess Needing Prayer!

I apologize in advance for how long this is going to be, but it’s a long, complicated story. :blush: Back in 2006, my husband and I moved to Alaska for me to teach. It had been a dream of mine to live in Alaska and I worked hard to make that dream come true. We were up here a year then returned home because my father was sick and subsequently passed away. Because of the expense of moving, we were stuck back in the south and so my husband took his old job back and we stayed. During that time we both missed our life in Alaska. In retrospect, we conveniently “forgot” all that was bad and romanticized all the good stuff. Last year we had the opportunity to move back. I should say that when we moved the first time, my husband didn’t know what he was going to do. He got a job working at a small radio station and fell in love with it. He felt he had found his “calling” in life and totally embraced his new career. Last year, he was offered the chance to come back to the station. We made plans to return, but after some mature thinking, we decided against the move and stayed put. During the past year, I moved past the romanticism of living in Alaska. I thought my husband had moved on but I was wrong. He constantly lamented how much he hated being back in the south, hated his job, was upset with his family that they wouldn’t drive to see us since being back and how we always had to drive to see them etc. So earlier this year, he again gets the opportunity to return to the radio job. Of course, he jumped at the chance. I was against it. I don’t like the heat of living down south, and I am always up for a good adventure, but leaving my grandbaby, him leaving a secure job with benefits, and returning to a place full of nepotism, favoritism, small town gossip and politics and the “good ol boy system” wasn’t my idea of fun. My husband kept saying he felt “God had opened the door again for us to go back” so I gave in, mostly because I felt I owed my husband his chance at happiness since he gave me mine when we moved up here the first time.

Since being back here in bush Alaska now for 5 weeks, things have been predictably miserable. To begin with, to get back up here, my husband put our house in short sale, we voluntarily returned a vehicle, and brought up all our debt with us. Our credit is now shot. The things my husband was promised at the radio job didn’t happen: he is getting paid less than promised; the old gm is not returning- he took a job elsewhere, so my husband is now a stand-in gm until the board decides to hire him permanently; he has already been undermined on several decisions by the board which is hindering his ability to act as gm. He is convinced he will get the permanent gm job because he is already in the seat, but with the way things typically go up here, it’s questionable. Somebody could have a family member wanting it, and he is not native. If he gets the job, his salary alone won’t allow us to live here. I have not been able to find a job yet. We have the burden of not only trying to pay off the debt we brought with us, but now the expense of living here.

I am struggling. My only solace is going to church every Saturday morning. There are only 8 other Catholics up here, and no priest. My husband and I have argued and discussed this move but nothing is ever resolved. He can finally admit he was wrong in making this move, but selfishness and pride he still holds on to keeps him from acting. He is prideful of the fact that his old coworkers admire him up and leaving a good job to move to bush Alaska. They think he is up here suffering the extremes of nature, hunting for his own food, and being a big “bushman”. This is hardly the case. When we moved back south from AK the first time, his coworkers made comments like, “What, you couldn’t cut it up in Alaska?” So now my husband feels he has something to prove. He still feels God allowed him to come back here. He is afraid of how it will “look” to people here if we leave. He is afraid of how it would “look” to his family, friends, and old coworkers if we move back south. On my end, I feel putting us in this situation was very immature. We are both in our 40s. We should have been content with where God put us (in the south), with what we had. I’m all for chasing dreams, but there comes a time when one has to grow up and accept his/her lot in life and make the best of what he/she has instead of always wishing for something more or better. I want nice things: a house, a vehicle, a good job, time with my grandchildren, children, and family, a parish to be a part of. Up here, we are struggling and there is nothing nice to be had. I blame myself for ever wanting to come up here to begin with back in 2006. If I hadn’t of been chasing romantic notions, my husband would have never gotten the radio job and none of this would be happening now. I wanted to allow him his chance at happiness, I wanted to be an obedient wife and allow him freedom as head of our household, but he has put us in a huge mess. We don’t have the money to leave here now. I am at wits end.

Please pray for us that God will show us where He wants us. If it is truly here, then I will suck it up and deal with this as best I can. If not, we need the financial resources to get back out. We will both need jobs again and it is doubtful my husband’s old job will take him back since he has left them now twice. We will have a place to live if we return, with family, until we get financially back on our feet. I love my husband, and this isn’t driving us to divorce, yet, but I am not respectful of him or his decision at this point. This is just one of many immature decisions we have made throughout our marriage and I am tired of it. Thanks for your prayers, we need them!

Hail Mary,
full of grace,
the Lord is with thee.
Blessed art thou among women,
and blessed is the Fruit Of Thy Womb,
Jesus.
Holy Mary,
Mother of God,
pray for us sinners now,
and at the hour of our death.
Amen

Hail Mary,
full of Grace,
The Lord is with thee.
Jesus.
Holy Mary,
Mother of God,
pray for us sinners now,
Amen

Praying…

Hail Mary,
full of grace,
the Lord is with thee.
Jesus.
Holy Mary,
Mother of God,
pray for us sinners now,
Amen

O Lord my Savior and my Master, with fear and trembling I, your unprofitable servant, give thanks to you for all your benefits and loving goodness which you have poured so abundantly upon me. I fall down in adoration before you and offer you, O God, my praises; with fervor I cry to you: O God, deliver me from all adversities and mercifully fulfill in me such of my desires as may be expedient for me. Hear me, I entreat you, and have mercy, for you are the Hope of all the ends of the earth, and to you, with the Father, and the Holy Spirit, be ascribed glory, now and ever, and to ages of ages. Amen.

Lord, I’m so happy that this good wife moved back to Alaska for her husband’s happiness. Things, unfortunately, didn’t work out for them and now things are worse than ever. This wife is very disappointed with her husband’s thinking and wants to move back south. Please, Lord, inspire her husband to want to give the south a second try. There they will have family to live with until they can get on their two feet again and will be close to their grandchild. Sometimes things dont turn out the way we want them to and things can get really bad. It is then that you want us to know that you are our everything and all depends on you. May this couple pray the rosary together every night and aquire some money somehow to get out of Alaska with or just to get out of debt with. Things could be much worse for this couple. One of them could be suffering from a terminal disease or could be disabled. Thank you, Lord, they still are able to work and still have each other. Maybe this couple could meet with a priest and discuss their situation. Prayer and meeting with a good and holy soul is something they really should do to stay strong and faithful to their vocation. I’m glad the couple went back to Alaska. It shows the depth of this wife’s love for her husband and shows her husband that all depends on you. Come Holy Spirit, fill this couple with your love. Make them strong together as a couple and willing to communicate gently and respectfully to each other whatever is bothering them. Keep them faithful to their vows. They promised to remain together through thich and through thin. Now things are thick. Clear away a path for them to walk through and make them remain bonded tightly together as a couple and ready to take on this difficult time together as loving and undefeated husband and wife. Amen.

Thank you, all of you, so much for your prayers thus far. Yes, even in our situation we are still healthy, still have much to be grateful for, and still able to pray for others. No matter how bad things get, they could always be worse, right? May God in His infinite mercy and goodness bless you all. :hug3:

You’re welcome and PERSEVERE - even pray for perseverence! Peace!

Hail Mary, full of grace
The Lord is with thee
Blessed art thou amongst women
And blessed is the fruit of thy womb, Jesus

Holy Mary, Mother of God
Pray for us sinners
Now and at the hour of our deaths

Amen

Lipari91,

I definitely agree with having the priest that leads worship on Saturday morning be a resource for you both. If he can’t counsel with you, perhaps he can find someone who can, even by conference call if necessary. Getting the chance for the both of you to open up about your true feelings and frustrations in a safe environment with an objective third party schooled in helping people in such situations would definitely be in your best interest. In the mean time pray for the ability to love your husband the best you can right now. Pray to be able to see in him the Christ we love and serve when we love and serve him through our brothers and sisters in Christ.

Gracious heavenly Father, you know this couple and their needs far better than anyone else ever could. Please we beseech you to grant them your grace to desire to be close to you, to humbly and obediently serve you, and to grow together in holy love regardless of the worldly circumstances they face now. By your mercy, help them discover your will for their lives and revitalize their marriage just as you brought new wine through your Son to the wedding at Cana. Grant them both not to hold on to worldly things that would cost them heavenly things in return. Open their hearts and their minds to your wisdom and grant them the courage to live by it - in Jesus’ name we pray. Amen.

Oh Lord , I pray that you will help Lipari91 and her struggles, please reveal to her what she wishes to know and with your love and grace, help her. amen

May the most just, the most lovable, and the most high Will of God be done,
be praised, and be eternally exalted in all things forever. Amen.

Our Father, Who art in Heaven, hallowed be Thy Name.
Thy Kingdom come. Thy Will be done, on earth, as it is in Heaven.
Give us this day our daily bread
and forgive us our trespasses as we forgive those who trespass against us;
and lead us not into temptation, but deliver us from evil. Amen.

Steve C: Thank you, as well as the others, for your continued prayers for us. How I wish we could go to a priest, but we do not have one out here. There are only 8 other practicing Catholics out here, and the church they had burned down two or three years ago and hasn’t been rebuilt. We hold a service Saturday mornings in the community church building. It is unlike any mass I’ve ever been to; short, not very inspiring, and lacking a priest. But it is better than nothing I suppose! :blush:

:smiley: Thanks be to God, and to all of you for your prayers. Update: After much prayer (praying that above all, Thy Will be done), Novena to St.Rita, and praying my rosary daily, things have changed for the better! My husband’s job situation has continued to deteriorate to the point that he is ready to finally be done with it. I got a part-time job which will help us with the finances needed to get out of here. My husband was able to contact people who are interested in getting him back on his old job- the good one with benefits! So it appears the Lord has heard our prayers and it looks as if we are meant to return home.

Thanks all and please continue to pray for the financial resources we will need to fly out of here, ship our stuff out, and the gas etc for the trip home. Please pray that my husband will be able to return to his old job and that I will find work as well when we return. I already have a prospect. Our leave date is Aug. 31st. God bless you all and thanks again. :hug3:

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.