Really Cool Realization

So, today I went to a Bible study that was supposedly “Christian.” But a few minutes into it I saw that it wasn’t actually that all-encompassing. A more appropriote label would have been “Protestant-Christian” Bible study.

So, I panicked a bit, afraid this might lead me astray, but it only further bolstered my faith in Catholicism!

See, I think we Catholics sometimes take the rich deepness of our tradition for granted. Today I saw the alternative; and the theology wasn’t as rich. I’m sure good still comes out of it, but I feel like it wouldn’t be as fulfilling. So glad I’m Catholic!!! :slight_smile: :slight_smile:

Great story! Thanks for sharing.

=Angela77;9773633]So, today I went to a Bible study that was supposedly “Christian.” But a few minutes into it I saw that it wasn’t actually that all-encompassing. A more appropriote label would have been “Protestant-Christian” Bible study.

If my experience with Christian book stores is more than anecdotal, I would say your description “Protestant-Christian Bookstore” is probably too broad, as well. Most of the ones I’ve been in typically lack anything approaching Lutheranism or Anglicanism.

So, I panicked a bit, afraid this might lead me astray, but it only further bolstered my faith in Catholicism!

No need to panic. They’re books, after all, with no hypnotic power whatsoever. :smiley:

See, I think we Catholics sometimes take the rich deepness of our tradition for granted. Today I saw the alternative; and the theology wasn’t as rich. I’m sure good still comes out of it, but I feel like it wouldn’t be as fulfilling. So glad I’m Catholic!!! :slight_smile: :slight_smile:

I actually agree. Given a typical Christian book store next to a Catholic book store, I will most likely enter the Catholic one. :wink:

Jon

I think the OP went to a “Bible study” not a Christian bookstore.

Oops. Sorry. :o

Jon

:rotfl: :rotfl:

That is just too funny. Just like today, I was out for a 3 mile walk. A car turned into a street, in front of me and then stopped about 20 feet down the street from the corner, I was looking over my should as I was walking and walked right into a stop sign post. Boy did I feel embarrassed, but I couldn’t stop laughing at myself.

Sorry for the sidetrack there.

Its ok. I’m sure that someday I will make a mistake as well. :smiley:

Protestantism is very vulnerable to the baby-and-bathwater approach to Christian history, unfortunately. Discovering the wealth of Christian tradition was a joy for me, too, and one of the reasons why I joined the Anglican church.

Likewise. I’m Episcopalian partly due to studying the history of Christianity. :thumbsup:

Only Protestants who do not study church history fall into the baby-and-bathwater trap. Sadly, there are many who do not. Too few understand that protestantism has a rich historical/theological tradition–1500+ years of which it shares with the RCC. Protestants and Catholics stand on the shoulders of those who have gone before.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.