Really Freaked Out

Hey…I had a really traumatic incident tonight and I was hoping I could have some help on how to deal with it here :(.

I go to a small Catholic graduate school, and we organize a Mystery Science Theater production every Sunday for us to watch. I thought we were going to be watching one on “The Crawling Eyeball,” so I went. It turned out to be a different movie on female sacrifice to the devil instead :(. I tried covering my eyes and praying, but ultimately I just got really upset and had to leave. I walked to the chapel immediately and then went home, the whole time (except when in the chapel obviously) talking on the phone with my mom. To make things worse, this random guy that wasn’t at the MST event followed me all the way to the chapel (whether to look out for me walking home in the dark or not, I don’t know), even sitting in the back row (not praying) while I was in it. So that freaked me out even more. I just don’t know if I committed a sin by being at the movie. I should have left immediately I feel like; I don’t think I should have stayed as long as I did. I feel like me even being there was an offense against God, and I’m really really upset because that’s the last thing I intended by going to a movie :(.

Please help me :frowning:

It honestly sounds like you’re suffering from a type of OCD, where you feel guilt for looking at certain images. You didn’t do anything wrong. MST3K is supposed to be a comedy, and in this case, it turned out to be a comedy that you didn’t like. You didn’t intentionally cause harm to another person. You didn’t intentionally do anything bad. Calm down, do something that relaxes you, and you’ll feel better in the morning. If this kind of thing happens to you a lot, then you might want to talk to a doctor.

But it’s not that. It’s that the images were directly against God :(. After all He’s done in my life, it makes me extremely upset to see Him blasphemed in such a way. I don’t feel like that reaction is wrong or should be “fixed” by a psychologist! Why is my being upset at the movie the problem and not the movie itself (as well as me not leaving immediately)?

I don’t believe there is a sin here, because you didn’t intend to go to this type of movie, and you did leave it. Your intent to not offend God is further demonstrated by your trip to the chapel to pray. What a beautiful thing you did, turning to God at that time! So as far as sin is concerned, I think you’re ok. I suggest you confess it when you get the opportunity. That will absolve any venial matter and you’ll feel better!

For now, I will pray for you, and suggest you pray to ask God to give you peace about this incident.

I made this suggestion because it is a strong reaction to have. You didn’t make the images or the movie. You didn’t even intend to see it.

But I was still witness to them, and I did not leave immediately despite strong revulsion to them. How can movies like this exist? :frowning:

Thank you Father for the advice and the prayers. You have made me feel a little better about it. I fully intend to go to Confessional on Tuesday before Mass as well, and hopefully that will ease my mind on the issue. I will take your suggestion of prayer and trudge through until then :blush:

You wanna know what it is? Its because you love God so much that you can’t stand the idea of him being hurt or offended. That is a wonderful thing.

Be at peace and listen to Fr. Jones response. If your still stressed, visualize our Scapular, Mary and Jesus holding hands and you in the middle of the two of them. That is how it is you know.

JESUS loves You!!

Not “Manos, the Hands of Fate”? That episode of MST3K is hilarious! :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: The females being sacrificed did a version of what the 'bots called “liturgical dance”. And “Torgo” was so funny! I didn’t see anything in that “movie” that one would consider “spiritually harmful” but, hey, that’s me. :shrug:

That was me, too…

However, i can no longer watch things I used to watch and laugh at. ‘Manos’ isn’t necessarily one of them.

Maybe the OP is just sensitive. But he needs to give himself a break.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.