Really getting to me

I mentioned this in another thread, but I feel its really starting to bother me…I was watching the local news a few days ago, and they started by warning how graphic the details were about this child who was tortured and killed by the father, Im not going to mention the details, but it was extremely bad, The only think that comforted me somewhat is that the child is dead and no longer suffering, but I can only imagine if this sort of thing happened here, it probably is happening in other places too and will happen again, and again.

I havent watched the news since then, I even stopped watching national news, I just cannot bear to hear anymore of the horrors that people inflict, I had something similar happen about 10 yrs ago, again, I was watching the local news and they did a story about someone who had tortured and killed some animals, It really bothered me for a long time, still does actually, some nights, I wake up, cant sleep because my mind keeps re-playing this ****, I really want to go out and find the people that have no problems doing things like this, I think I would really take joy out of seeing them suffer for what they have done, but thats not realistic, and then I think this kind of thing is probably happening all over the place, on a daily basis…it has really made me sick of this world.

It seems I go from praying to God, begging him to somehow wake these sick people up to what they are doing, how much pain they are causing to other living things, to other times, where I feel like people like this need to be hunted down. I just dont understand how anyone could take joy in such things,or why they would even do such a thing, not to mention doing this to your own child…GEEZ, what is wrong with these people?!

I mean, Im the type of person, if there is a moth flying around in my house, I will usually try to capture it in a napkin and then release it out the window, I try to avoid killing anything, and I certainly would never want to see anything suffer, all I can figure is these people are truly SICK and are not living in the same world.

Anyone else go thru feelings like this? Im curious as how to overcome this, Ive tried not thinking about it, praying, but I just cant get it out of my head. I keep trying to think of ways I could somehow stop this or at least slow it down, but Im not sure how to even go about that, or its possible.

Sadly, bad news is always news. Good news and acts of random kindness happen just as much (far more, I should imagine), but we don’t often hear those stories. Some people have made a choice to take the bad road, others have had terrible things happen to them which have made them into violent people. But we are all God’s children, even though it’s hard to understand how some people can do evil things.

You sound like you have a gentle disposition, which is a good thing. All we can do is be kind, to look after others and help those who have been hurt. And of course, pray.

Prayer is the only way. Frequent reception of the Sacraments for the grace to persevere, and to be given the grace to know if there a way that we personally can make a difference in the world.
One of the best ways to effect change for the good, is to work with children and teens.
It’s quite rewarding and builds the church of tomorrow.

I trust that our loving God will make up a thousand fold for all that the innocent went through at the hands of others.

We live in a world where free will operates, and some, sadly, choose darkness. God will make up for it!

There are so many people living in darkness and allowing darkness to take over their minds. The answer is that believers need to become holier by cooperating with the will of the Lord via prayer, sacraments, and doing as much good as they can. Ohers will be attracted to the Light of Christ in us and want to follow Him.

May the Light of our Lord shine through us! Jesus is Victor!

Our Lady, Seat of Wisdom, Pray for us!

Yes, Mike, I do. about 6 years or so ago, one of the first kidnapped foreigner in the Iraq War was beheaded and as I was coming home from work the news on the radio gave a fairly descriptive account of how it was done…I immediately saw it in my head and I couldn’t go or do anything without it being there. I’m a very visual person so if I hear something it becomes a “picture” in my head.

I ended up going to a special therapist who used a therapy called EMDR - you can google it for more info…but that seemed to take that “movie clip” out of my brain. I watch very little news and I hate it because I don’t know what is going on around me locally, nationally or internationally but I have to preserve that part of me that takes on the angst of others around me.

God, in heaven. You know your people well and you know the sufferings each one of us carry with us. Give those of us who share this problem courage to understand why we’re given this special gift. Help us to share with you as we know you carry the burdens of the world. Send the Comforter especially to those who share the sufferings of those victims of whatever earthly evil they endure. We ask this in the name of our Risen Lord Jesus!! Amen

If you want to keep up with the news, you might be able to find sources that present it with less drama and sensationalism. I don’t look at TV news, don’t even have a television set, but read the news at bbc.com/news/ whenever I feel the need. Of course they do report on wars, violence, and disasters, but they tend to stay close to the facts. Even so, I try to (or at least I should) not watch just before bedtime, as certain stories may replay in my mind and cause insomnia.

Seeing horrific tragedies like the one you described makes me pause and think of all the ways in my day that I “hurt” others with my own words and actions. It is easy for us to get discouraged when we see all these horrible things happening in the world, but realising that we are also called to continual growth helps to pray for both perpetrators and victims of these larger offenses.

Yes, I will look into that EMDR, like you, I also play back the ‘clips’ of the events I mentioned, I go and try to enjoy things and those clips are always there to bring me down, the worst part of it for me, is not being to do anything about it, I mean, I could go out and mentor young people, as I am a pretty nice person, but Im not sure what I would do if I was suddenly face to face with someone who took joy in such things, I have doubts I could just stand there and listen to them laugh or joke about violence, torture, etc. I may be nice in gentle by nature, but a part of me ( I think) would take ALOT of joy out of beating the pulp out of people like that, but I do recognize beating them would only make things worse, they would only pass it on.

Thanks for all the great replies.

I also have trouble with these atrocities that happen.
But the Bible says “blessed are those who hunger and thirst after righteousness, for they shall be filled.” So we have to look forward to a surfeit of goodness when we get to heaven.

I also always pray for these victims, and ask Our Lady to comfort them and put her arms around them, Or if it’s an animal, I pray to St Francis. And I pray every day for the children living in neglect or abuse who haven’t been discovered yet.
Remember it also says that the sufferings of this present time are not worthy to be compared to the glory that shall be revealed in us.

Thank you for your wonderful post!

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.