Really need help...choosing the right battles

I was talking to a Atheist friend, alot of my friends are Atheist. somehow, we got on the topic of Dumbledore being gay, she playfully asked me what I thought of him being gay, which I replied, whatever, but I always thought Mcgonigall and him were romantically involved.

Now, she wasn’t trying to arouse a debate, but uselessly, I only prefer to really get into a debate if someone openly asks me, epochally friends like my friend, with very strong conventions. People know my opinions, but am friends with Atheists and or homosexuals.i like to try to be a wittiness, and sometimes, use words. Of course, I’m not always the best wittness, sorry about that.

once a bisexual friend of mine asked me what i thought of her being that way, and I said ti was fine, but I disagree with it, but I don’t mind. I didn’t mean I thought it was alright, but I didn’t mean I would not be her friend for her choice. I’m kind of scared I said ti the wrong way, really, but I don’t’ want to come across as holier then thou.

I wouldn’t worry too much about putting your foot in your mouth. It happens. You’re only human, after all. (I assume; you might be a dog who can type, for all I know ;)). It sounds like you’re trying to be as caring and compassionate as possible while at the same time being truthful if asked, which is a very admirable position.

When speaking of real people, respond as the church tells us - we treat all people with dignity (looking up the section in the Catechism is a great idea).

If you are discussing make-believe books as if they are real people, well, that is a whole 'nother issue. :slight_smile:

You can’t always control or be responsible for others’ reactions to what you say or how you say it, as long as it’s in a spirit of love for your fellow man. :thumbsup:

This one is easy to avoid and should be avoided.

Just answer: “Everyone has temptations to do things that are wrong. Dumbledore’s BEHAVIOR in the books never remotely manifest a hint that he gave in to homosexual temptations, so if the author says he has them then his character is the nobler for never having given in to them.”

Rule 1: Do not get into hypothetical debates about fictional characters that are not backed by the fictional work itself. The author now claims Dumbledore was gay (and such headlines it generated!), but nothing in the books indicate that.

Exactly. Is Dumbledore gay just because Rowling said, after the series was completed, that he was gay, with nothing in the book to suggest it?

T.S. Eliot once said that, having written a work, an author is then in the same position as any other reader of the work. He might know more of what went into making it, but someone else might be more perceptive as to its meaning.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.