Really scared, please help

Hi,

This is very tough to explain, and hopefully no one thinks I’m crazy. I have to tell someone though, because I feel like I’m going crazy.

Unfortunately I used to dabble in the occult on and off. Well for several years now, I’ve felt like something was around me. I don’t know if it’s evil or what, but it strikes fear in me. It’s bothered me in just about every house I’ve been in.

It makes me so afraid to be alone, because I always feel like something is watching me. I’m afraid to go into the kitchen, though that isn’t as bad now. I’m afraid to go into the bathroom. I’m afraid to go into my bedroom sometimes, especially at night.

When I try to sleep in my bed, I always sense something around me, like either right behind or over me. It is a very warm sensation, and very tangible. Sometimes it feels so real I have to feel around to check there isn’t actually something physical there.

This is happening to me right now. I feel terrorized because every time I start to settle down to go to sleep, I think I hear something.

I should mention that I’m totally blind, so that increases the paranoya. I don’t know if I’m just scared because I can’t see what’s around me, or if there is actually something that is scaring me. But I used to not feel like this, so I don’t know.

I had my fan on, so it was harder to hear what’s going on around me, which makes it worse. I’m very perceptive to subtle changes in the noise around me, so every little thing would really freak me out, because I’m already on edge.

I even slept on the couch for a few weeks because I didn’t feel it as badly out in the living room, but I don’t want to have fear running my life like this.

So, again, I don’t know if I’m just imagining things because I can’t see what’s around me, or if there is actually something that is causing me to be so afraid.

But the bottom line is, I can’t stand it anymore. I’ve tried praying about it, and for a while that helped a lot, but it’s been getting stronger again for the last few nights. I’ve not slept at all tonight because I just can’t stand it.

I’m afraid to tell anyone because of what they might think, so that’s why I’m posting here.

What should I do?

You need to tell your priest about what is happening ASAP, mentioning that you used to dabble in the occult. That is a hard door to shut once it has been opened. He needs to pray over you for deliverance and come to your home and bless it. Get everything together that you used for the occult or learning about it and give them to the priest for proper disposal. Follow your priest’s advice after that.

Rely upon Jesus, remembering that nothing can separate you from His Love. Pray the Jesus prayer or just His Name, or ‘Jesus, I Trust in You’. Pray them aloud. Ask your Guardian Angel to protect you. Pray also the St. Michael prayer and the Rosary aloud. Do NOT try to banish anything by addressing it directly. Hide behind Jesus and focus all your attention on Him.

praying for you
:signofcross:

I agree with linda marie, you really need to speak to a priest and get him over to your house and have him bless your house and pray over you this is something you cannot do on your own. Good luck and God bless.

Thanks so much to both of you.

I finally got some sleep last night after writing that post, after taking my rosary with me and just laying it right next to me. I think it just gave me more comfort and courage to not let myself get scared.

I thank God that whatever this is has never done anything more than made me really scared, or make me think I’m hearing things. I’ve watched a lot of paranormal shows before, and often you see so much more frightening stuff happening to people who have dabbled in the occult.

Anyway, I will definitely take your advice. Thank you so much.

I completely agree with the advice already given. Call upon St. Michael and keep your rosary handy. Talking with a priest is a must. Unfortunately, some priests are lacking in formation so if you encounter a priest that doesn’t hear you out and do something about it right away, go to another priest and another because there are a lot of good priests out there. I would ask him to celebrate Mass in your home as well.

Keep us posted and persevere in prayer! Satan attacks those who are his biggest threat the most… I’ll offer a rosary for your deliverance.

What does “dabbled in the accult” mean?
My minister always said to me; “Christ blood can wash away all evil when called upon.” Pherhaps you should say this aloud when you are frightened in your home.

[SIGN]Nothing is more powerfull then what happened on the cross! [/SIGN]

:D:p:grouphug::heart:

My sister had a similar experience with her former husband who is now deceased, They came to visit us where Im presently living and while there with us had an encounter with a demon that was connected with and to my former brother in law who said he had this since child hood and didnt know why. We later found out it was due to playing with Wegee Boards any way the week they were visiting this demon made its presence known while my sister and I were getting supper started, Mel asked me if I had met “rainbow” yet and I said No I hadn’t . immediately after saying that I felt a toug at my shirt sleeve, pants leg and a tap on the top of my head. I told my sister that and she immediately said Rainbow is here with us. Fortunately our parish priest was due to arrive soon to come visit our mother who was an invilid at the time. I took father aside and told him what happened and he replied your brother in law has a demon . He immediately took out his holy water vial and blessed the entire house and said sevral prayers and then asked me to get my sister, he then spoke with her privately about this demon and my brother in law and did what ever was necessary to remove him , this was 5 years ago and this has not reoccurred with either me or my sister .

unfortunately I dont think you are imagining this. I agree with every ones advice as well. remember that prayer is a powerful tool. and that no evil can stand in the presence of the name of Jesus, invoke His name out loud. pray your Rosay and read you Bible out loud, and as said before it is absolutely necessary to talk to a priest!! I wil pray for you. we all have our demons, merely not all manifest themselves as literally as this one

Except for being blind, I can totally relate. Over the past 20 years or so, I have had times when I could barely move beyond my front door because I was so overcome with fear. Like you, I have also slept on the couch, or lay awake at night hearing strange sounds. It’s the most horrible, overwhelming feeling.

And like you, I have a history with participating in occult practices.

This is what has helped me:

I keep holy water in my home and walk from room to room sprinkling holy water, praying, and thanking God for His presence in my home.

I sprinkle my bed with holy water before sleep.

I pray the Apostles’ Creed over and over again as I’m falling asleep.

I ask St. Joseph to be the guardian of our home (I’m a single mom) and the head of our household, just as he was for Mary and Jesus.

And most importantly, I surrender my well-being entirely to God. “Oh God, I place my life in Your hands.” I place my focus on trusting in His mercy, and on His great love for me, instead of on my fears.

God bless you, dear one. You are in my prayers.

Gertie

“seeker” God bless you, dear soul. :console:

When I was a child… I had a cousin who did Ouija board readings. :nope: Once, when we were at their house, my cousin was doing this… and my 2 sisters and I, (unknown to our parents) were in the room with her. The Ouija board spelled out my name. It terrified me… and I ran out of the room. I can’t remember if my 2 sisters ran out, or stayed.

But I do know… that over the years… all 3 of us fell away (and thankfully, through God’s great Mercy… returned to) the Church. That was my one and only experience with such things. And it was an involuntary experience. But I’ve felt, that it has had an effect on all of us. To this day, I still experience bouts of fear such as you described.

But since returning to the Church… having my house blessed by a priest… habitual praying of the Rosary… frequent reception of the Sacraments… etc., it has been GREATLY diminished.

I would recommend that you have your house or apartment blessed by a priest as soon as possible. I would also recommend, that you get a St. Benedict medal and keep it in your home. St. Benedict is known as a powerful intercessor against demonic activity. We have a large St. Benedict wall medal in our home.

Above all, remember that God LOVES you :heart: And that you are a Child of God. And under His care and protection. When you feel “under attack” turn to Our Blessed Mother, too. She is a powerful Protector.

God bless you.

Wow, thank you so much everyone. And Gertabelle, it is very comforting that I’m not alone in this.

Fortunately the fear doesn’t extend beyond the front door. It’s not even as bad at college for some reason, though it still is felt sometimes.

Today I’ve been finding that if I do put everything in God’s hands, I feel a bit more comfortable. I figure God won’t let anything happen that is against his will.

Recently I have explicitly rejected my past in the occult, so hopefully that helps to close that door.

"seeker’ if you have not already done so, you should definitely bring this up… the next time you go to Confession, too. Tell your priest about it. He will counsel you and give you strength. God bless.

Thanks. Unfortunately I’m not actually Catholic yet. i was in RCIA, but then a lot of questions arose for me, and well basically I went off the path. Now I’m feeling pulled back towards it, whihc is why I’m back on these forums after about a 3-month hiatus.

Even if you are not catholic there are things you can do.

1. Get Holy Water and what I do is make a sign of the cross in the middle of the air in all directions of the room or house. Also cross yourself with HW.

2. Get a benedictine medal or crucifix with the medal on it. This medal has very special properties.The special properties it has are exorcistic. The various letters throughout the medal are the prayers of exorcism in latin with the first letter from every word.

I agree with all these other suggestions. I always carry my benedictine crucifix and my holy rosary with me. I also carry on my person a Miraculous Medal of our Holy Mother the ever virgin Mary.

The prayer of St. Michael is also wonder prayer to say.

God bless

:signofcross::knight2::blessyou:

Also, I forgot, when making the sign of the cross with HW in the middle of the air I say something like “My Lord Jesus, all powerful and creator of all command you evil spirits to leave this place and leave all who reside here in in peace. Not I but the Lord the Master of all cammands and wills you to leave. In the Name of the Father and of the Son and of the holy Spirit Amen.”

I would say that everytime I made the sign of the cross in the middle of the air with HW.

Dear Seeker - Please talk to a priest, even if you’re not Catholic yet. Let him know about your experiences w/ the occult and your times of oppression. The Catholic Church is the one, holy, Catholic, apostolic Church - founded by Jesus upon the Rock of Peter. You said you were in RCIA and you left because of questions. There are good answers to any question you have. The Evil One does not want you to draw closer to Jesus through the Catholic Church.

Call upon the power of the Holy Spirit to **bind and cast out **any evil that is oppressing you. Any time you feel angry, confused or troubled by evil, call upon the power of the Holy Spirit - Pray something like, “Holy Spirit, I ask you to bind and cast out any evil that is effecting me.” Repeat the prayer as often as you need to feel peace.

Do you have a Catholic bookstore in your area? If not, go on the internet and google “St. Benedict medal.” I’ve heard that the St. Benedict medal (that has been blessed by a priest) has a special power against evil.

Please go see a priest. You could even look up the number for the office of your archdiocese in the phone book and ask if they could suggest someone who deals with the occult.

Finally, precious child of God, pray and protect yourself w/ the full armor of God. St Paul, writing to the Church in Ephesus, and believers everywhere said in Ephesians 6:10-17: “Finally, be strong in the Lord and his mighty power. Put on the full armor of God so that you can take your stand against the devil’s schemes. For our struggle is not against flesh and blood, but rulers, against principalities, against the powers of this dark world and against the spiritual forces of evil in the heavenly realms. therefore put on the full armor of God, so that when the day of evil comes, you will be able to stand your ground” The armor of God includes the belt of truth, the breastplate of righteousness, the shoes of the gospel. "In addition to this, take up the **shield of faith, which can extinguish all the flaming arrows of the evil one. ** Take the helmet of salvation and the sword of the Spirit, which is the word of God. "(Ephesians 6:16-17)

Please let us know how you are doing.

Seeker of God,

Here’s a link to the Seven Steps of Self-Deliverance by a Catholic ministry that specializes in helping people with issues of demonization. I highly recommend following these steps, which can help you be free of demonic harassment while guiding you to grow closer to God.

JMJ / MMM 090603 Wednesday
Dear seeker of God –
Even though you have not completed the RCIA program yet, believe that right now you are a daughter of God. You belong to God. Remember that. You belong to no other being in God’s creation before you belong to Him.

Continue faithfully your preparation for full sharing in the Church and the Communion of Saints and Angels.

I will pray for you and Bless you in the Name of Jesus Christ.

In special prayer times you, seeker of God, will be mentioned and Blessed.
John (JohnJFarren) Trinity5635@aol.com

I agree with the advice given. I’m fearful just reading your post…have worried myself about various issues, so your post brought back old fears.

PLEASE - SEE A PRIEST. IMMEDIATELY. Not someone with more modern ideas but more traditional who will be willing to come to your house and bless it fully. But, in the meantime, keep Holy Water in the house. If not, get some from Church or your priest - don’t buy any - it’s a blessed object, and should not be exchanged for money. Even before the priest arrives, you can bless your house with Holy Water and making the Sign of the Cross.

Before my mother died, she saw something she called by name but I was never sure if it was old age/imagination or something else. I now sleep in that same spot where she died. I bless the room constantly with Holy Water - particularly at night sometimes, before I go to sleep. I also just call out to God when fearful, saying “make the evil go away, God”. It’s a simple, childlike request - but as definitive as can be. And say the Exorcism Prayer that St. Anthony of Padua used:

Behold the Cross of the Lord. Begone ye enemy powers! The Lion of the Tribe of Juda, the Root of David has conquered. Alleluia! Alleluia! Amen.

Wear a St. Benedict’s medal or crucifix, have a jar of holy water, and make an appointment with a good priest to have the house blessed.

Say the St. Michael prayer, morning and evening, and make a perfect act of contrition regularly. Pray the Ave Maria. :slight_smile:

Along with this, put your hope and confidence in God, and do not be afraid of these incidents.

If you face these things with fear, they only increase, to a large extent, the only thing you have to fear – besides sin – is fear itself.

If you meet these troubles with courage, they will flee from you. Fear attracts devils, they seek to inspire it – courage makes them flee. Sin attracts devils, love of God repels them.

Seek the happiness of loving God, and ponder how wonderful the Lord is, and so full of unfathomable love for you, that He would have gone to the cross for you alone.

Place your hope and confidence in Christ, and pray, and all will be well. :slight_smile:

The fallen angels cannot harm the least hair upon your head unless God permit it, and this He would only do for goodness’s sake, so that you learn how to serve Him, so that you can join Him in bearing the cross, there are many good lessons that can be learned from struggling with this.

It is the Christian life. :slight_smile:

God is the faithful friend, the loving Father, the constant companion, the perfect brother, the divine consoler, the wise counselor, all that is good, and more than ever could be comprehended. :slight_smile:

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.