Reared as Catholic. why can't I marry in a Lutheran church?

My dad is Catholic, and my mom is Protestant. Growing up, our family regularly attended Catholic mass, although I had many opportunities throughout the past 20 years of my life to experience the Protestant church. My fiance is not Catholic, and we have decided to marry in a Lutheran church. I know my dad and his family will be upset by this, but it is my opinion that what is most important is that my fiance and I have a strong, committed relationship with God. I don’t believe my family should be mad or upset about this. I don’t feel like I"m doing anything wrong by marrying in a Lutheran church. Why is it hard for Catholics to be open to different denominations?

Hi,

Jesus didn’t found many denominations. He founded one Church and gave it authority.
If you consider yourself to be a Catholic, then you accept that authority and abide by it.
Jesus did not intend that His followers make up their own rules as they go along. The Church is bigger than we are. We are not bigger than the Church. Read the early Church Fathers; in the first and second centuries they believed as Catholics do today.

You need to understand your own faith more than you do at present. You can write me here privately. Just click on my name. You are in my prayers.

Fr. Vincent Serpa, O.P.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.